Register electronics at EZE

I always register anything new or newish, the form lasts a couple of years worth of travel. Otherwise you can get stung for import duty, if you are a temporary or permanent resident.... same goes for crossing land borders.

No receipts are required... they just note the model and serial numbers... make sure they get it right. Optics such as binoculars, telescopes, camera lenses should also be registered. You should register anything of value like jewellry as well.

There are odd laws about cell phones like you have to declare them coming in, and it works out cheaper for me to hire one in Chile for example than take my own from Ar.

Sometimes they'll say, no not worth registering, but when you come back a different person can have a different view.

At peak hours in the day, there can be quite a long line of people trying to register stuff... I once had to wait an hour, so bear that in mind.

I have came to BA three times and never once did they even want to look at the customs form. The last time i came into BA they looked in the box that has had my desktop comp. They saw it wasnt new so they didnt even bother with it. Mabey they have a problem with obtaining a fair market value if its not new. On the other hand i did see them pull a Peruvian man to the side cause he was trying to bring a 50" tv new in the box. Just keep in mind this is Argentina and it seems the laws or "enforcement of laws" changes everyday. If there is a place to register your electronics i would do it just in case.

Exactly what problems did you have when you returned? Did they charge you a penalty? In MANY years I have never had this problem but everything is changing for the worse so now I don't know.

I've traveled at least 10 times through EZE each time with 2 laptops and an iPhone. Never once had a problem.

I try to act as gringo as possible with my US passport very apparent. Speak english to them if you can, and they'll let you through with no problem.

I have gone through EZE three times a year for the past 6 years, each time bringing electronics for all my friends and myself. They xray my bags sometimes, but never say anything. Once I had 2 laptops and a desktop computer, 4 ipods and 3 cameras, plus 3 cell phones. They commented but I answered that it was for work. So nothing else was said, sometimes they take the customs form but most of the time they don't bother.

Pls register EVERYTHING!!!!! Even if the AFIP people would tell you not to.

Last time my family and I went through customs ($300 waiver per passenger.. it was 3 of us), I showed the guy my old laptop's registration but he wanted to see it anyways and then he threaten to charge me for my "new spinner luggage" (yeah cause one regular bag costs +$300)

I must have yelled pretty badly it wasn't new cause he stopped bothering me but I felt like killing him right there.

I think it is $300 per family, so it can get pretty thin when they get to looking.

In my experience it depends how many flights land at the same time.
I imagine things have changed recently. Must have done that trip about 10 times in six years and only got stopped once as I had a case full of old used computer parts and cables that must have looked iffy on the x ray.
I had a new laptop which I had unpacked and made to look used, but they didn't ask even though I had it as hand luggage.
Last year when I came back, several planes landed at around the same time and it was utter confusion, luckily causing us to be waived through without a glance and not even a look at the customs form. Not once have I ever handed one of those in or been asked for it.
I know this part has been covered before, but that's my experience.

Gringoboy said:
In my experience it depends how many flights land at the same time.
I imagine things have changed recently. Must have done that trip about 10 times in six years and only got stopped once as I had a case full of old used computer parts and cables that must have looked iffy on the x ray.
I had a new laptop which I had unpacked and made to look used, but they didn't ask even though I had it as hand luggage.
Last year when I came back, several planes landed at around the same time and it was utter confusion, luckily causing us to be waived through without a glance and not even a look at the customs form. Not once have I ever handed one of those in or been asked for it.
I know this part has been covered before, but that's my experience.

not only how many planes flight land, but also where they are from. If there is one from Miami then you're in trouble :eek: as it is the shopping trip of the Argentines. There is a lot to 'catch' then.

Back