Registering a name not on govt list

ooh or another idea that I don't know if it would work -- maybe there's a names registry in Spain or Chile as well -- if so and the name appears on one of their registries maybe you could plea that it's in use in other spanish speaking countries?

Doubt it.....if only I could arrange to give birth in the British embassy!

I was born here and am extremely thankful that this law was in place. My mom wanted to name me after a Swedish friend. I am VERY happy not to have been named this as my first name. My middle name is not traditionally Spanish and was accepted so it's not like the only names on the list are basic names like Maria or similar.

I frankly think a lot of countries would be better off with more stringent naming conventions... at least, the children of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore could have benefited, being girls named: Rumer Glenn, Scout LaBelle, and Talulah Belle. Ouch.

That said, it sounds like this may be more pertaining to including family names and so on, so perhaps some flexibility is merited, I'm just saying I understand the logic/rationale for having some regulations when it comes to naming children.

If its any consolation, there is a similar law in Japan- there is a list, and if the name aint on it, you cant use it.

And, in Japan, the husband and wife MUST have the same last name.

Germany also has strict name laws, such that the Peanuts character Schroeder could only be American- its not a legal first name in Germany.
German names MUST denote gender, and no hyphenated last names.

I am sure there are a fair amount of other countries with "lists" as well.

Me, I am very glad I was born in the USA, as I have 2 odd names, and quite enjoy it.
My kids have very unusual names as well, and they no doubt would be illegal in Argentina, Japan, Germany, and a lot of other places. (they are Torque, and Rebar)
Most kids with odd names grow into them rather quickly, and, in the USA these days, there is virtually no teasing due to names, at least in my experience, as it is so common.

One thing I find amusing is the melting pot aspect of Argentina means that the "approved" list of names includes all kinds of bizarre hybrids of Lebanese, German, Eastern European Jewish, French, Italian, and more- its far from pure Castillian.
So we have a country that is a mix of many cultures, languages, and names, pretending to be "pure".
Which Lunfardo names are on the list, and where, exactly, in Spain, do they come from?

Davidglen77 said:
I don't think it's a bad idea to have a regulation, however it's somewhat draconian. Being a native New Yorker and having worked with the public, I'll tell you that I have heard some VERY unusual names in my life time, here are some that have stuck with me:[/COLOR][/FONT]
1) Waltraut Hughveneffer
2) Jaqueesha Nooni Burke
3) Dinette Washington
4) Tonka Mae Ellis
5) Anwar Butt
6) Maryanne Shite
7) Ryan Doody
8) Guermecinda Nuñez
9) Fredesvinda Rodriguez

I think some of these names make the case for a law.......

Unusualness alone is not a problem. Give me a well grounded reason why a name shouldn't be approved and I'll abide by it. If unusual means not common, then only common names would be acceptable and we'd all be Maria or José (I'm exaggerating, but I guess you get my point). Some native American names like Ayelen and Nahuel became more common in the last couple decades and now are widely accepted, but there was a time when such names were considered strange to say the least. Times change, and so do names. Is a list necessary? Who's in a position so legitimate to make one? Would someone with such impeccable judgment of the matter need a list in order to make the right decision?

My opinion.

Zissou said:
I frankly think a lot of countries would be better off with more stringent naming conventions... at least, the children of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore could have benefited, being girls named: Rumer Glenn, Scout LaBelle, and Talulah Belle. Ouch.

All three names kick the ever-living-shit out of "Maria". (No offense to Maria's all over the world.)

Those names rock. But then again, I grew up with a Stewart Stewart, Bunky, Sandy, Chip...

I'm sure the world needs one more "Mercedes".

I think one of the best reasons for Argentina to have a names list is to prevent the entire nation from naming all of their little boys "Maradona"....

I'm glad that the list of approved names is grtting more flexible. Nowdays, if you choose a name that is uncommon but you can show that it has a meaning you can name your child like that. It is a bit strage the whole concept, but it does have a place.
In Uruguay there are many Usmail and Usnavys...because of U.S. Mail and U.S Navy.
Or in Mexico, where I met a kid named Denig Rodman Gonzalez...his dad had a fascination with the basketball player, but couldn't spell his name right.
Or the worse one, many mexicans are named after the saint of the day they were born. So if you were born on Feb 15, you are Valentin. But then, if you are born on Nov 20, you are Aniv de la Rev, because thta's what says in the calendar...the anniversary of the revoluntion! I've actually met one Aniv.

Now i'm curious...what's the name in question?

I worked with a girl named CANDY APPLE. And no she did not work in a brothel, she was a credit analyst at a major bank in New York City with a degree in economics.

As long as people don't go back to those 1930s girls names like Gertrude, Mildred, Sadie and Selma, I will be okay with the others.

Back