Registering Birth

cq.argentina

Registered
I am Argentinian, my husband American. Just had a baby. We got married in Illinois.
Has anyone married in the States legalized their marriage certificate here? Or any Americans registered the birth of a baby in argentina? Need advice!

Why do you need to legalize your marriage certificate here? You are already legally married, your marriage is recognized here.

To register a baby in Argentina you just have to go to your Registro Civil, the birth certificate from the hospital and the baby. Or do you want to register it in the US... and to do what? To obtain a US passport?

Serafina,

Because for government paperwork, unless legalized, it doesn't work. And as for registering the baby, they do now require that both parents speak the language in order to get the "partida de nacimiento". Now it's no longer issued at hospitals, you gotta do it with the registro first and they requested a legalized copy of the certificate and a public translator (?)

No translator required afaik.. You need to do it within 30 days of the birth and there was a wait when I did it. I registered a few days after the babies were born and the first appt was 3 weeks later just FYI. All we needed was the form from hospital and my US passport and Martin's Arg passport.

Why do you need the marriage certificate? Seems unnecessary... unmarried people have babies and no issues.

From the website it says you only need the acta or the libreta... I found out the hard way the libreta isn't really "official" (at least when it comes to immigration) so if you take your US marriage certificate I think you'll be okay.

Best thing to do is to actually contact your registro civil and found out exactly what they want.

Not sure of this, but AFAIK unless parents are legally married, the non-Argentine parent's name will not appear on the DNI, and will have a hard time proving parentage whenever bureaucratic processes require it (e.g. when traveling).

Not sure of this, but AFAIK unless parents are legally married, the non-Argentine parent's name will not appear on the DNI, and will have a hard time proving parentage whenever bureaucratic processes require it (e.g. when traveling).

Wrong.
He recognize the baby in the same act of the inscription and they give the baby the last name of him, her or both.
My daugther's last name is Rubilar Choi.

My wife and I were both irregular status at the time of my daughter's birth. We both had to appear at the registro, rather than just one parent if married in Argentina (we're married in US). Our Spanish is fine, but was not great....that was not a problem...no translator required. We didn't even have Apostilled documents (birth/marriage) of our own at the time.

Both of our names are on the birth cert. We had the Argentine DNI (with my signature, full name and US passport number are on it) and passport in about 3 weeks from the time of registration. Really one of the easiest tramites ever. We promptly made appt with the US Embassy and did the report of birth abroad, passport appt. We've been abroad at least four times in her almost 3 years. Never any question or difficulty. We always travel with the legalized birth certificate and just in case...the permiso de viaje. We have traveled both as irregular and permanent residents with her (and our US born daughter).

Wrong.
He recognize the baby in the same act of the inscription and they give the baby the last name of him, her or both.
My daugther's last name is Rubilar Choi.
Licensiado Rubilar, apellido Rubilar Choi?. Es su esposa una Asiatica?..Choi es Chino,no? No importancia,solo curioso....

Back