Renew Tourista Visa online

I did a same day visa run to colonia on my last day of the 90 days without issue. Seems less hassle than doing the extension.

And as I understand it I can do the extension If I wish after multiple visa runs but the extension is final in the sense that you will need to leave.

I did a same day visa run to colonia on my last day of the 90 days without issue. Seems less hassle than doing the extension.

And as I understand it I can do the extension If I wish after multiple visa runs but the extension is final in the sense that you will need to leave.
That's interesting!

The Colonia run was fun, but as I'm not in the city, and with a family, it could be a hassle if I need to do it regularly. Which is why I thought doing it every 180 days is better than every 90.

I think pretty soon somebody is bound to chime in here and say that the idea of settling down, buying a car and repeatedly taking a family every 90 days either down to Migraciones or across the water to Colonia to renew a tourist entry is going to come undone after not too many attempts. (Perhaps obiwanderkenobi was has already politely tried to say so.)

Last edited:
Yeah, that would be pretty tedious. The car is to make it easier to travel around the country, and South America in general. Bariloche, Chile, Colombia, maybe all the way across to Florianopolis. The opposite of settling down, really.

@misterthomnus if you're here as a tourist only, then the information discussed in the Lovely Blue article is what you'd go by. You can go to this website (https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/transitos/) and verify when your current 90-day period expires. For example, my last return trip from Colonia was on November 30th, so my current 90-day period expires on February 28th. If I want to extend it officially, then I need to go to the Migraciones office no more than 10 days before the period expires (i.e. sometime between February 18th and 28th). In my case I have another Colonia trip planned at the end of January which will reset my clock. You can only receive one extension as a tourist before you either have to leave the country again or overstay and pay the fines.

Tourist travel plans change all the time, which is why they make you wait until 10 days before your time expires so they don't end up granting lots of unnecessary extensions that never get used. Colombia also had the same "no more than 10 days prior" rule for tourist extensions when I was there as well.

The information you found on the Migraciones website regarding extensions of "residence" is (I presume) referring to those who have formalized their status here by way of temporary or permanent residency and who are looking to extend their residency or change their residency status. If you're just here as a tourist, then your only two option as I understand it are to either request an extension in-person (no more than 10 days in advance of when you need it), or to make another trip to Colonia, Santiago, etc.
Well put, thank you for the explanation. :)

Has Milei weighed in on this? I wonder if his libertarian leanings would be just to live and let live with us coming and going every 90 days (I hope so.) It does seem like he has bigger fish to fry for the foreseeable future.

Has Milei weighed in on this? I wonder if his libertarian leanings would be just to live and let live with us coming and going every 90 days (I hope so.) It does seem like he has bigger fish to fry for the foreseeable future.
what country do you know of that has such a lax view to immigration as that?

Back