Renew Tourista Visa online

tomfromCO&MI

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I need some info as I researched on the immigration site. Is there an option to renew the 90 day tourist visa online instead of appearing physically at immigration?

Thank you,
Tom

@tomfromCO&MI Hi, Tom. I'm 99.99% certain the answer is no from the various research I've done. I've been here since September but I can't speak from experience because I've made two trips to Colonia during that time, resetting my 90 days back to zero on each trip. Here's a recent blog article I found explaining the in-person process, updated within the past two weeks:

The full body bleach/disinfectant spray sounds....not fun. My last stop before Argentina was Colombia and the extension process was entirely online and so much easier. Typical Argentina to have twice as many tourists and make the extension process twice as complicated.

@tomfromCO&MI Hi, Tom. I'm 99.99% certain the answer is no from the various research I've done. I've been here since September but I can't speak from experience because I've made two trips to Colonia during that time, resetting my 90 days back to zero on each trip. Here's a recent blog article I found explaining the in-person process, updated within the past two weeks:

The full body bleach/disinfectant spray sounds....not fun. My last stop before Argentina was Colombia and the extension process was entirely online and so much easier. Typical Argentina to have twice as many tourists and make the extension process twice as complicated.
This is the way. I did it a few weeks ago, no bleach and disinfectant involved. Took about an hour in the morning, but I speak a bit of spanish and brought a printout of my migraciones record from the government website (I doubt I could find it again or I'd send you a link). It would have been faster but I waited for them to call my name; when I got impatient and went to the window he stopped browsing instagram and greeted me. Then it took me ten minutes to realize I didn't have to wait in the line in the room to pay, I just had to go up to the other window with the handwritten sign 'caja'. I could have done it in half an hour.

(I) brought a printout of my migraciones record from the government website (I doubt I could find it again or I'd send you a link).

This might be the link you're referring to? You can enter your personal info along with your arrival date and it will show you when your current visa period expires:

https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/transitos/

Great thank you, for the info.

I watched a youtube video just a few days ago of a guy doing it the official way at the office down near the Buquebus terminal. It's a really helpful video and worth looking up.

Hi all, long-time browser, first-time poster here.

I've just returned from a border run to Colonia del Sacramento. (Reason being, I need a legit residence status to get a CDI from Afip, in order to buy a car.)

Quick question: when do I go to Migraciones to renew for another 90 days?

In Lovely Blue (the link above) says: You can only extend your tourist visa in Argentina 10 days before it expires. If you have more than 10 days left on your current visa for Argentina, you’ll be turned away and told to return within 10 days from expiry.

The Migraciones site says: Requests for extension of residence, as well as the request to change immigration category or subcategory, must be made within sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of the temporary residence and within ten (10) days prior to the expiration of the temporary residence. (Is it me or is this Greek?)

Thanks!

Hi all, long-time browser, first-time poster here.

I've just returned from a border run to Colonia del Sacramento. (Reason being, I need a legit residence status to get a CDI from Afip, in order to buy a car.)

Quick question: when do I go to Migraciones to renew for another 90 days?

In Lovely Blue (the link above) says: You can only extend your tourist visa in Argentina 10 days before it expires. If you have more than 10 days left on your current visa for Argentina, you’ll be turned away and told to return within 10 days from expiry.

The Migraciones site says: Requests for extension of residence, as well as the request to change immigration category or subcategory, must be made within sixty (60) days prior to the expiration of the temporary residence and within ten (10) days prior to the expiration of the temporary residence. (Is it me or is this Greek?)

Thanks!

@misterthomnus if you're here as a tourist only, then the information discussed in the Lovely Blue article is what you'd go by. You can go to this website (https://www.migraciones.gov.ar/transitos/) and verify when your current 90-day period expires. For example, my last return trip from Colonia was on November 30th, so my current 90-day period expires on February 28th. If I want to extend it officially, then I need to go to the Migraciones office no more than 10 days before the period expires (i.e. sometime between February 18th and 28th). In my case I have another Colonia trip planned at the end of January which will reset my clock. You can only receive one extension as a tourist before you either have to leave the country again or overstay and pay the fines.

Tourist travel plans change all the time, which is why they make you wait until 10 days before your time expires so they don't end up granting lots of unnecessary extensions that never get used. Colombia also had the same "no more than 10 days prior" rule for tourist extensions when I was there as well.

The information you found on the Migraciones website regarding extensions of "residence" is (I presume) referring to those who have formalized their status here by way of temporary or permanent residency and who are looking to extend their residency or change their residency status. If you're just here as a tourist, then your only two option as I understand it are to either request an extension in-person (no more than 10 days in advance of when you need it), or to make another trip to Colonia, Santiago, etc.

Back