Renewing Argentina Travel Visa

Mark B

Registered
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody here could advise me on the best way to renew the 3 month travel visa here. I have unfortunately made the mistake of not renewing this and understand that I may have to pay a fine - I have been here six months.

Currently I believe that the options are:

1. To go to an office (anybody know where) in BA and renew the visa - I belive that this may be the most costly option (does anybody know how much) and can result in one strike of a three strikes and you don't get back into the country policy - can anybody confirm.

2. Go to Uruguay for 4 hours and get a renewed visa and pay the fine on the way back in (again anybody know how much) - worry is what if I am not allowed back in.

3. Pay the fine at the airport on leaving the country - again, worry is what if I am not allowed back in.

I have family here so need to be able to come back to Argentina regularly and don't need any strikes. I phoned the British Embassy but in true English style got fobbed off with a recorded voice and options which led to confusion on my part. I don't have the patience to wait on the phone for half an hour to get the wrong person and be told to ring another number where you go through the whole process again.....

Any help would be greatfully received....

Kind Regards,

Mark B...

After 90 days it's too late to go to the office of migraciones to renew.

If you go to Uruguay you will pay the $300 peso fine when you leave Argentina and should be able to get another 90 day visa without any trouble when you return, but it probably won't make any difference if you wait to pay the fine at the airport when you leave. Based on what others have posted on the fourm Argentine migraciones still has a fairly "soft" policy on tourist visa violations and the "three strike" rule isn't something that is being routinely enforced (if it actually exists), but that could change at any time.

If you have family here and need to "return on a regular basis" it's probably your best bet to get a resident visa if you can. Worrying won't change anything.

The British Embassy has nothing to do with your Argentine immigration status. Good thing you didn't waste your time with them.

I've left once late, paid the 300 at the airport and had no trouble getting back in 2 months later. That's just my experience

I think someone recently posted that they went to migraciones after their 90 days expired and they were charged $300 pesos and given 10 days to leave the country. If that individual overstayed the 10 days another $300 would be charged when they left the country. I don't recall if and when they were planning to return.

Bottom line: Stay away from migracions once your visa has expired and stay as long as you like.

You can pay the $300 when you leave and return whenever you want...at least for now.

Back