Renewing Dni

Yes, I was indeed referring to renewing a DNI with permanent residence.
As Steve mentioned, it simply involved a visit to the local registry of physical persons (lol) aka, registro civil.
Very straigthforward and you're treated no differently than if you were Argentine. IE a resident.

You can begin the process of renewing your temporary residency at migraciones no more than sixty days prior to the expiration date that appears on yout DNI.

I italicized temporary residency because that's you are renewing. The DNI is issued after that. It's important to refer to them by the correct terms in Spanish, especially when asking questions at various offices..in order to get the correct answer. Asking a question about renewing a DNI might get someone sent to the Registro Civil when they need to go to migraciones.

It looks like Gringoboy was referring to getting the Nuevo DNI (tarjeta/card) in his post of December 2015. That was something that could be accomplished at the Registo Civil (at least where I live),but only for foreigners with permanent residency.
Depends on if it's your first, second or third renewal. Wait until 60 days before your DNI expires. Before you can make a turno online for immigracion, you have to have your new antecedentes. Once you have that (it takes five days for them to process it, unless you pay an extra fee), then you can make the appointment online. For first and second renewals, I believe you need to chose Prórroga de residencia. For the third/final renewal chose cambio de categoria Mayor de 16 anos. If for some reason you are sent to hipolito yrigoyen address, send them a cancelation email and explain that you picked the wrong category and then wait until that turno has been canceled and try again.

Thank you both a ton for the information! Steveinbsas, you are correct: this is my first renewal and it is residencia temporaria, here as a student.

Since, I cannot renew any further in advance than 60 days, would any one of you know how long it would be wise to wait without having to pay extra? The reason being that I want to be stateside from December to February or March but it expires March 10. (Which is really screwed up since I didn't even get the thing until the beginning of June)

Also, one other question: I thought prórrogas were for when you overstay and need to extend. Was I mistaken?

Also, one other question: I thought prórrogas were for when you overstay and need to extend. Was I mistaken?

The translation of the word "prorroga" is extension.

The phrase I always used when renewing my visa transitoria (the 90 day tourist visa) as well as my visa temporaria (pensionado) was "proroga de permanenecia." which means "extension of stay.This exp<b></b>ression applies to extending (aka renewing) the residencia transitoria as well as all the categories of residencia temporaria (student, rentista, pensionado, etc)."

If you ask for a "prorroga de residencia temporaria," migraciones will know exactly what you want.

If you overstay your temporary visa estudiante you'll have 30 days to renew and it will cost $3000 pesos instead of $2000. After that you'll have to start over, but you'll only have to pay the $2000 peso fee.

Unless you are on a path to get permanent residency on the third renewal that might be an option. worth considering.

PS: If anyone overstays their residenciia temporaris by more than thirty days migraciones will not give them a prorroga.

PS2: I'm not sure how much time they give someone with an overstay of their residency transitoria to get a prorroga, but I am sure it is no more than 30 days. Once they have passed the grace period they cannot get a prorroga.

Migraciones used to tell individuals who were not eligible for an extension of their tourist visa to go to Uruguay, but now, according to one member, they face the possibility of being arrested at migraciones

Thank you all for your insight!

I guess I could have found that information here: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexA.php?residencias_prorrogas

Anyway, leaving it for the next person.

I don't really understand why my DNI expires in March when I didn't get it until June... but at least I know the rules now and know that I must renew at migraciones within 60 days or pay a 50% tariff when renewing it as expired.

Also for the next person, as a student I need the following:

- "certificado de alumno regular"(certificate of regular attendance) legalized by the Ministry of Education
- "certificado analítico de materias aprobadas" (certificate of classes passed) legalized by the Ministry of Education
- "nota de la institución" (note from the institution - this is for grad students specifically) legalized by the Ministry of Education
- "certificado de antecedentes penales argentinos" (Argentine criminal background check)
- Valid passport
- DNI (optional)
- 2000 pesos

siiiii se puuuueeeede

I don't really understand why my DNI expires in March when I didn't get it until June... but at least I know the rules now and know that I must renew at migraciones within 60 days or pay a 50% tariff when renewing it as expired.

Your DNI expires the same day your temporary residency expires. It doesn't matter when you actually receive your DNI.

Technically, you aren't renewing your DNI, You are renewing your temporary residency.

I received my precaria in October of 2006. I didn't get my DNI until January of 2007. The renewal date was the same day that I was officially granted the precaria.

Back in those days (the dark ages) it was necessary to go to the Registro (a horrible place) in person just to ask for a turno and occasionally the turnos were suspended for weeks or months at a time. I went to the Registro the same day I received my precaria. They weren't giveing advance turnos, but they said they could take my DNI application at that time.

Unfortunately, all I had was the precaris. In those days it was also necessary to provide additional documentation (copies of passport and/or the birth certificate with the apostille. Fortunately, I had extra copies of my birth certificate and my (translated) passport at my apartment. I raced back to Palermo and then returned to the Registro to get the ball rolling.

I was told to return in 90 days (exactly) to pick up my DNI. I did just that, but that took about three hours.

My first two renewals also required return trips to thye Registro. No turno was required.but it was necessary to arrive an hour before they started "working" (further delayed as the employees drink mate.)..

My first two renewals and the cambio de categoria to permanent residency on the third renewal were all done at migraciones without advance turnos, but it was necessary to arrive early to get a numbe.

At least for the cambio de categoria I didn't have to return to the Registro to have the change noted in my DNI (the old style). They had a tent outside migraciones in Retiro for that. But it took an extra ten days and a lot of time because Migraciones "lost" my file the day before I went to get the certificado of permanent residency (which was in the file).

Even though I was not responsible for the loss of the file I had to pay for a new certificate as if I lost the original and return ten days later to receive a new one. I then was able to make a turno to get the cambio noted in my DNI.

When I returned to the tent a week later for the cambio,, the person who stamped my DNI never asked to see the certificado. He could see the change to permanent residency in his computer.

Some thing are much better (and easier) than they used to be.

Dear all,

Also planning to take on this task in the coming months. Whilst having some doubts about, well, is it worth it, or is it time to say bye bye Argentina, does anyone have experience in renewing temporary residency with motivo de trabajo? How was the process, and what documents did you have to present? Migraciones webpage leaves me blank.

Also, as the whole getting the DNI for the first time was a somewhat borderline terrifying process, I am not sure how to happy my workplace is doing it all again. As my monotributista business is going quite OK, are there any possibilities for applying the renewal with monotributista? (or starting all over - can you get temporary residency with monotributista..?)

This would be the 1st renewal for me.

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience in renewing temporary residency with motivo de trabajo? How was the process, and what documents did you have to present? Migraciones webpage leaves me blank.

You'll need a new work contract, the last two pay stubs, a new Arg criminal report (you can't make an appoint ment for the renewal until you have it), and photocopies of all of the pages if your passport.

Also, as the whole getting the DNI for the first time was a somewhat borderline terrifying process, I am not sure how to happy my workplace is doing it all again. As my monotributista business is going quite OK, are there any possibilities for applying the renewal with monotributista? (or starting all over - can you get temporary residency with monotributista..?)

It would be interesting to know why getting temporary residency (and the DNI) was "borderline terrifying process" for you. I've never heard the process described in those terms. .What exactly happened that was so frightening?

In any case, if you want to stay in Argentina with a DNI you'll have to renew your temporary residency, Unless there has been a recent addition to the categories, migraciones won't grant temporary residency based on your status as a monotributista.

PS (adding the italicized words to the following sentence in my previous post): [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]In any case, if you want to stay in Argentina with a DNI you'll have to renew your temporary residency based on your employment.[/background]

Thanks for helpful insights, @steveinbsas!

Sadly, my DNI process was not the easiest with having to wait 6 months for to finally have that plastic card in my hand. And working in a tiny company the burden (and costs!) for them in terms of all sorts of legal paperwork annoyances this country seems to offer at any turn, they certainly will not plan to hire more foreigners mmm ever after me? Although after the 1st one is in, the process might be less complicated and throughout for the next ones.. who knows.

Not to mention the personal stress of never having your phone calls picked up, getting one information from one desk and another from 2nd desk.. I mean, how complicated can you make processes sometimes, Argentina?

Thanks for helpful insights, @steveinbsas!

Sadly, my DNI process was not the easiest with having to wait 6 months for to finally have that plastic card in my hand. And working in a tiny company the burden (and costs!) for them in terms of all sorts of legal paperwork annoyances this country seems to offer at any turn, they certainly will not plan to hire more foreigners mmm ever after me? Although after the 1st one is in, the process might be less complicated and throughout for the next ones.. who knows.

Not to mention the personal stress of never having your phone calls picked up, getting one information from one desk and another from 2nd desk.. I mean, how complicated can you make processes sometimes, Argentina?

Crony land my process was painless and fast as my wife's cousins best friend was the director of the imaginations office I worked with he took care of it personally. But when your wife's family is over 300 people you have ties to everything. Of course being married to an Argentinian makes it all allot easier to start with. But damn I miss Punta Del Este, La Barra was great place to live. But for now my wife's mom needs us here. Strange how the life works your parents raise you and at 20 you leave then you get 33 years living your life and then back to your parents. Oh well it is what it is.

Back