Rent Car, Buy Car, Taxi or Public Transportation?

Validitorian

Registered
In the states, I drive an f150 crew cab pickup and a 2007 SV650S streetbike - I'll be selling them both before I move to BA.

So the question is, what should I do about transportation when I get to BA? I've been to Brazil, and I know that I nearly had a heart attack just being in a taxi, because everyone drove really crazy. Is it like that? (e.g. stop lights mean look both ways and slow down and stop signs mean nothing at all)

Would it be worth it to just take a taxi everywhere? Or should I use the public transit?

If I were to buy a car/motorcycle, are they more expensive/less expensive or the same cost in BA?

Public Transportation is cheap and not bad. If you are going to driving in Argentina, go to your local Automotive Club (AAA) and get an international drivers license good for a year. The cost of new cars/trucks/SUV down here are about $10,000 -$15000US more than than US. You pay in cash. The resale value last longer.
Driving is like a video game. Driving is nuts in AR. Here is a list of suggestions when driving: lanes, lights, turn-signals, headlights, speed, and proper lane changes. So basically take ever rule you know about driving and FORGET IT. The cars move with this freestyle flow. They come into your lane, driving without headlights on, don't care if they are in the far left lane to make the right. Total Chaos from the outside eye. Couple of things I have notice: you can move across lanes anytime, they will ONLY HONK at you if they are going to hit you. 2nd if you cut someone else off, they will flash their bright lights at you or if you are going to pass someone and a car is coming up fast, they will flash bright lights to tell you not to get over. 3rd: They will yell at the other drive and stuff, but then after the yelling they will laugh it off..There is no major road rage like in the States. 4th..if you traffic is extremely bad, they will create "new" roads, buy finding other places to drive on, example sidewalks, dirt shoulders, ditches, etc. Yes I got to participate in that madness once due to some protest holding up the Autopista.

1) The average motorcycle is a HONDA 125.
-There are more of these on the road than all other motorcycles & mopeds combined.
-NEW they cost between US$1,700-US$3,000 (I think) depending on options

2) The driving is not as crazy as Brazil.

3) There are absolutely NO right turns on red. Nada.

4) "YELLOW" in the States means "speed up". Here, it means "stop".

I would suggest coming here and learning the lay of the land first. Parking sucks... donkey balls. And when you do find a "free space", you have to pay a street urchin a few pesos (AR$3-AR$5) so that he DOESN'T damage your car when you walk away.

Taxis are relatively cheap. Buses ("colectivos"/"combies") & the subway ("subte") are extremely cheap. And many times the subway is the fastest way to get through town... although it is often extremely packed at those times.

If you want a car for the weekend, it is much more expensive to rent a car here, than in the USA. But the overall savings and reduced hassle of not owning a car makes it worth it. (At least for me.) Having lived in LA for 8 years, I love not having a car.

despite the wise advice about not buying a car, i'd like to look into buying one. any ideas on where to start looking?

I wouldn't dream of buying or renting a car here.
Public transport is decent enough, and taxi's are still relatively cheap.

Cars also cost a small fortune. Depends what you're looking for though. Luxury? Functional?

Could do worse than checking the classifieds, mercadolibre or clarin to start with

will do.
looking for something that runs (less luxurious the better) and can get me to Costa Del Este (near Santa Teresita) and back a few times a month.

I think validitorian gave up on the idea of moving here.

Perhaps he saw the light.

Thanks to this forum.

(Though I do believe a new Honda Fit is the best value here.)

Back