Rent in Dollars

mlee

Registered
Scanning rentals (not in BA yet), and it seems many (all?) are listed for dollars. I understand that real estate is purchased in dollars and why. But I read others were having transfers converted to pesos depending on their status. Not sure if it's still that way for some. Seems that some or even the majority would pay rent in pesos.

My experience in renting both short and long term apartments in BA - the rent should be expressed in pesos & the contracts were always in pesos. At times my landlords would accept dollars but only at the day’s exact conversion rate from the rent in pesos. So there was no real advantage to paying in dollars.

My experience in renting both short and long term apartments in BA - the rent should be expressed in pesos & the contracts were always in pesos. At times my landlords would accept dollars but only at the day’s exact conversion rate from the rent in pesos. So there was no real advantage to paying in dollars.
Ok, helpful, thanks. Is simple, easy. I recall in one of our visits reference to something like commerce in dollars being illegal and that visitors were required to exchange for and make purchases in pesos. Is that true but, just not usually enforced?

I think there may be a restriction in rentals accepting dollars as a part of the contract - the contracts probably have to be in pesos. The decision of the landlord to accept dollars occasionally was totally personal on his part. It’s not like he or I broadcast it!

That being said, it is Argentina and whether something is legal or not doesn’t necessarily rule all transactions.

In day-to-day transactions such as shopping, eating, etc. businesses do accept dollars although maybe not universally. Coto, a large grocery store chain, will accept dollars and if it were illegal I don’t believe they would be doing that.

I think there may be a restriction in rentals accepting dollars as a part of the contract - the contracts probably have to be in pesos. The decision of the landlord to accept dollars occasionally was totally personal on his part. It’s not like he or I broadcast it!

That being said, it is Argentina and whether something is legal or not doesn’t necessarily rule all transactions.

In day-to-day transactions such as shopping, eating, etc. businesses do accept dollars although maybe not universally. Coto, a large grocery store chain, will accept dollars and if it were illegal I don’t believe they would be doing that.
Ok, thanks again

Back