Rent Nightmare

David Glenn, it's you that's being unreasonable methinks, seems you expect a monastery level of quiet whilst you live in the midst of a bustling Latin American city! And then you suggest that those who want to make noise move to the Campo - isn't that the exact opposite of what should be happening, ye that wants silence should flee to the country and leave the noisemakers in the city.

Reactions: jpw
Some buildings have such a poor sound-proof design, that it is mostly impossible to be quiet to others AND carry on with your daily living. Also, some neighbors are serial complainer because they simply need an argument with their landlord/other neighbors.

Where we lived previously, there were just two units, both owned by the same ugly landlord. Since the tenant below us paid 2.5 times our rent (the place was bigger, with a garden, etc) and was not getting the attention she wanted from our landlord, she told the landlord she could hear our chairs moving "all the time" (we work from home sitting in front of the computer). The landlord got angry at us because she thought we did it on purpose to have her lose the new tenant. The tenant herself later told us she could hear everything we said, but "rest assured, I couldn't hear any bedroom noise". We were about to buy many carpets to resolve the issue, investigated on sound-absorbing panels, etc, then somethig happened (they finally installed the TV cable in the unit below) and this stopped the complains. So, it was not really about us.

David Glenn, it's you that's being unreasonable methinks, seems you expect a monastery level of quiet whilst you live in the midst of a bustling Latin American city! And then you suggest that those who want to make noise move to the Campo - isn't that the exact opposite of what should be happening, ye that wants silence should flee to the country and leave the noisemakers in the city.
First off, my name is Glen with one 'n'. Second, in what part of my commentary did I say I expect a "monastery level of quiet". I've stated repeatedly that everyday noise is unavoidable, and some noise it totally acceptable. It's excessive noise that is not, and especially not when multiple neighbors have to express their discontent multiple times and to top it all off the OP says they are being 'rude' about it. I am not one to argue nor am I confrontational in any sense, if it matters to you, please backtrack and carefully read each one of my replies and you will see that I did not say what you have claimed in any one of them. It's not unreasonable to expect your neighbors not to disturb you when you are in your own home.

Davidglen, Ive only been nice to you in all my previous posts, but all you have done is accuse and condemn me from being a bad parent to being a bad neighbor to even saying that Im raising tomorrow's sociopaths. All this on mere assumptions.

I refuse to get sucked into this and will only say to you, that the qualities you see in others is merely a mirror reflection of yourself.

This thread may have reached absurdity of Dalían proportions. But that's just my opinion. :D

Davidglen, Ive only been nice to you in all my previous posts, but all you have done is accuse and condemn me from being a bad parent to being a bad neighbor to even saying that Im raising tomorrow's sociopaths. All this on mere assumptions.

I refuse to get sucked into this and will only say to you, that the qualities you see in others is merely a mirror reflection of yourself.
Actually I said sociopaths AND miscreants to be exact. If you bother your neighbors to the extent that they have to approach you multiple times to ask you to keep the noise and ruckus under control in your home, and you have the GALL to call them 'rude' while you are depriving them of the right to quietly enjoy their home, is unacceptable, and there is apparently no convincing you otherwise. All of your responses and baseless attempts at defending yourself, and innocent children - they are not at fault, YOU are.....are useless and only reaffirm your misguided point of view. Lucky for you that you don't live in my building, because you would be reminded nicely a few times if you disturbed peoples lives repeatedly and then you would be OUT....FUERA!

I've been a long-term residential tenant almost my whole life as a legal resident each time in one of 4 countries. (Not counting several 1-3 month temporary rentals in 5 other countries.) I raised my son from birth in rented houses and apartments. Whatever country or legal system you're living in, you can be evicted if you let your children continue to disturb neighbours.

In all countries if you're paying rent monthly pursuant to one rental agreement, of course you buy light bulbs and batteries just as you buy laundry soap for a washing machine that's part of the equipment supplied.

Controlling one's children's noise is far less work, less stressful and cheaper than having to move house every 1-3 months due to anti-social behaviour. For a start, the OP could take them to the park or somewhere every single day rather than leave them to play with tech stuff and watch TV with only one another. Kids are so curious to see and do things and they really watch how kids talk and play in new foreign countries even before they gain the confidence to relate to them for the first time in some small way. Even when they're kids whose parents constantly relocate and whether they're rich or poor, that feeling of being part of something larger than one's parents lends them comfort and peace.

Were I in her shoes, I'd tell the landlord that the light bulb problem is solved because I just bought some and I'd apologize for the noise saying I'm not going to let the kids do that anymore.

Im taking the high road and let you live with your crazy illusions. Without finding out the facts or the correct situations only a fool would go on and on like you have.

Will repeat - I know nothing about jpw personally, for all I know he's a neighbor from hell, and his kids worse yet. However, the story he gives - about kids being normally behaved, house at a standard-for-home-with-kids noise level, and neighbors being difficult about it - is entirely plausible. It fits perfectly with the experiences of more than 1 person whom I know here, very considerate people who will not allow themselves or their kids to become a nuisance more than is absolutely unavoidable. Still had neighbors from hell going on and on about true nothings. I am only very grateful that this has never happened to us.

So to attack jpw knowing nothing more than his story as he tells it - which there is no reason not to take at face value - is unnecessarily unkind.

That said, again from experience, even with difficult neighbors, a basket of fruit/candy as a peace offering and some humble words - necessary or not - can go a long way to making things more bearable.

Depends on bldg construction as well. My last apt in Capital (which I loved), had fantastic construction and you couldn't hear a thing. However, I certainly rented apts in Capital where the walls were so thin, you could hear EVERYTHING. I can well imagine if it's the latter, no matter how well-behaved the OP's kids are, some neighbors might complain as they would about any noise. I have no idea why anyone is assuming the OP isn't being accurate. There are plenty of situations where neighbors look for any excuse to complain. I've certainly seen my fair share of posts on here from people complaining about their neighbors playing music or people posting their neighbors complained about some innocuous activity they were doing.

ETA - To the OP, since the issue seems to be on the weekends, worth noting that porteños sleep LATE on the weekends. Like afternoon late. Best bet, get the kids out to breakfast and the park in the mornings. Avoid the issue.

Also, yes, totally up to you to buy lights, etc. With the heat, is it an issue with the gas? If it's a bldg wide issue, not much you can do unfortunately. If it's just your apt, tell the landlord you will have someone out to fix it and deduct all of the cost from your rent.

Back