Rental agencies - are they good? Which one to choose?

byt are "OK" but they will not bend over backwards to help you if you have a problem. They absolutely insist on cash payments for 80% of the rent too. I rented with them for 6 months and got friendly with the staff there and they told me that, yes, frankly, it was all done in "negro" and that's why they could only accept 20% of any payments with a CC (their cut) whereas the 80% had to be cash as it then went into an envelope for collection by owners. Saw with my own eyes several owners turn up and leave with white envelopes....all earnings fully declared and tax paid, no doubt. :rolleyes:

I asked one of the girls why the tax authorities didn't walk into the BYT office and shut the whole operation down and was told "our boss is very friendly with the local tax inspector"...so no surprises there. Anyway, I digress....

as others have said, check photos very carefully, check location/barrio before signing, check things like building security, etc...what's listed on their site is what you'll get. Don't presume "oh, they must have that, they've just forgotten to put it on there"....many of BYT's apartments don't have internet at all.

one last tip, though you staying for only 1-2 months probably means it's not applicable to you. Owners can sometimes be open to "discussions" regarding the rent...if their bottom line isn't affected. ;)

I rented from them for two weeks in Palermo Hollywood (top dollar, nice terrace, all the works). I stayed there with a 2 year old and my 10 year old daughter. We came back to the apartment to find it full of ants, in particular the bedroom. It was late and when I called the agent, he told me he could not help and immediately blamed the owner, who he was going to try to talk to. I could not sleep there and because I grew up in Argentina I was able to call friends to let me stay in their house. But it was very frustrating...I did not return to the apartment and they refused to discount the days that I could not sleep there due to the rodents. I found them irresponsible and unempathic.
That was my experience with this company and I noticed that they have tons of apartments which probably reduces his availability to respond appropriately when problems ensue.
ClaritaD

Back