Rentals. The most controversial points of the law that the Senate could approve

An interesting article showing that tenants are already paying more as a result of this new law (not just the registration of contracts in front of AFIP, that part has the least to do with it, but the previous new provisions regarding adjustments, etc.)

Hypothetically speaking, if the current law was implemented 10 years ago instead of the average rental price being $43k it would be above $60k today. It notes that when the current law was implemented last year average rents jumped from $33k to $43k.

Not sure think it’s only for long term. I signed mine for only 2 years because there is a clause that if you are a foreigner and will leave the country you can chose a shorter term.

Not sure think it’s only for long term. I signed mine for only 2 years because there is a clause that if you are a foreigner and will leave the country you can chose a shorter term.
Even with a new 3-year contract a tenant can (or at least should be able to..) terminate for convenience by giving notice at any point after the first six months of the contract. It is the landlord who has difficulty terminating earlier.

Have never seen a clause referring to being a foreigner specifically...? Is it classed as a "short-term rental" contract?

Ok it’s just a clause in my contract that I expressly didn’t want a 3 year contract so both parties agreed to 2 years for the reason that I will leave Argentina after 2 years. Although that is not actually the case I have no idea how long I’ll be here.
Basically if you the tennant want less than 3 years you can sign for less than 3 years as long as both parties agree. It is not a short term rental.

The rest of the contract is in accordance with the nueva ley.

An interesting article showing that tenants are already paying more as a result of this new law (not just the registration of contracts in front of AFIP, that part has the least to do with it, but the previous new provisions regarding adjustments, etc.)

Hypothetically speaking, if the current law was implemented 10 years ago instead of the average rental price being $43k it would be above $60k today. It notes that when the current law was implemented last year average rents jumped from $33k to $43k.

I would politely question the logic of this. Rents would have gone up in any case, because everything always goes up in this country. With a 40-50% annual inflation rate, (actually wholesale prices went up 5.6% just in January), things are out of control. I just wish the blue would go up again so I could keep up with inflation.

But remember this article is in Infobae so everything is Cristina's fault, and everything is horrible because of "esos malditos peronchos". They are as biased anti-K as Pagina12 is pro-K, while the truth is almost certainly somewhere in-between. Or maybe out in left field. Because Argentina.
(shrug)
God, I love this country, and I have no idea why.

I would politely question the logic of this. Rents would have gone up in any case, because everything always goes up in this country. With a 40-50% annual inflation rate, (actually wholesale prices went up 5.6% just in January), things are out of control. I just wish the blue would go up again so I could keep up with inflation.

But remember this article is in Infobae so everything is Cristina's fault, and everything is horrible because of "esos malditos peronchos". They are as biased anti-K as Pagina12 is pro-K, while the truth is almost certainly somewhere in-between. Or maybe out in left field. Because Argentina.
(shrug)
God, I love this country, and I have no idea why.
I am not sure whether you understood the essence of the article. The inflation was factored out (at constant rates). (And remember: under Kristina there was no inflation!)

can someone explain how monthly payments are calculated for long term rental contracts in Argentina?

In the US if you have 1-year contract then monthly payment is fixed for entirety of contract term.
Only when contract is up for renewal, only then price can be renegotiated.
And I didn't encounter more than 1 year contracts.

How does this work in Argentina?

01 March 2021
Everything you need to know about the new rental register. The term established to report the conclusion of contracts is 15 days. The landlord of a current rental will have until April 15.

Landlords from all over the country will be obliged from this Monday to register urban real estate rental contracts, sublocations, leases on rural real estate, subleases, temporary real estate locations for tourist, rest or related purposes, and space locations or fixed or mobile surfaces such as commercial premises, stands and fairs.

As for the deadline established to report the conclusion of contracts and/or their modifications, it was indicated that it is 15 calendar days from its conclusion. The contracts agreed as of July 1, 2020 and that remain in force, as well as those concluded during March 2021, will enjoy an exceptional period for their registration, until April 15, inclusive.

AFIP explained that the Registro de Contratos de Locación de Inmuebles (RELI)/Registry of Real Estate Rental Contracts (RELI) "will allow obtaining relevant information to verify compliance with tax obligations of the parties involved in different operations."....

....tenants are not required to register with RELI, they may voluntarily report a contract if the landlord had not done so. "This is provided for in law 27,551 (on rentals) itself, which requires the registration of all rental contracts, and it is a voluntary declaration, it is not mandatory," said Hernan Cruells, the head of the AFIP Service Sector Department. The tenant, he continued, "has no obligation with RELI, he simply has the facilities of the system to report certain situations, to find out, to know in which contracts he appears as a tenant and can accept or not that contract, and also, if he has any type of difference can be reported within the service itself ". The RELI also contemplates the possibility that intermediaries (brokers, real estate agents and notaries) register a contract on behalf of their clients....

....In the event of non-compliance with the registration, Cruells warned, the "fines provided for in the tax procedure law" will be applied. In addition, he warned, there will be "a loss due to the initiation of a lawsuit for the collection of pesos, since the court is going to require that registration of the contract before AFIP."

To register the contracts (or any modification in them), you must access the AFIP website ( ) and enter the service "Registro de Locaciones de Inmuebles - RELI - Contribuyente" . The landlord, with a "nivel 3" security tax code, must complete a series of data and attach the contract signed in JPG or PDF format. Once this operation is carried out there is an acknowledgment of receipt of the same and a verification code of the registration.

Is this for existing contracts? The rental contract on my house is ending in March and I am moving in next month.

Back