Rentals. The most controversial points of the law that the Senate could approve

Is this for existing contracts? The rental contract on my house is ending in March and I am moving in next month.
The Law applies to all contracts signed after March 1, ?
....As for the deadline established to report the signing of contracts and/or their modifications, it was indicated that it is 15 calendar days from its execution. The contracts signed as of July 1, 2020 and that remain in force, as well as those signed during March 2021, will enjoy an exceptional period for their registration, until April 15, inclusive....

Last edited:

AFIP- Régimen de registración de contratos de locación de inmuebles. Plazos, formas y alcances. Ley 27.551,art.16.-Resolución General 4933/2021....published in the Boletin Oficial on 18 February 2021

What are the developments now that the Rental freeze on apartments is over and evictions are allowed. The eviction process can take more than a year . A tsunami of eviction processes is coming.
Any experiences on the subject ? some tenants are agreeing to extend the existing contracts" Prorroga" under the old law without having to register the contract..?
Also the terms to pay the owed rentals during the Quarantine and also the overdue adjustments during the Quarantine.Many owe also expensas..!

Last edited:
According to this article on infobae the rents went up 70% in 2020, well above inflation. The minister Ferraresi is studying to implement an additional tax on vacant departments / real estates.

And if I understand the following correctly, only 5% of the rental contracts are effectively registered with the AFIP:
Pese a la Ley de Alquileres, los precios nunca se estabilizaron. Para Ferraresi, la normativa “es de muy difícil aplicación porque intervienen cuatro ministerios”, pero además sostuvo que “es muy complejo aplicar políticas públicas sobre un tema en el que las asociaciones de inquilinos hablan de cerca de 4 millones, y en AFIP solo hay inscriptos 193 mil”.

A rent tied to a salary is never a good solution in any sound mind.

The renters income should not be the owners problem in a free market.

A rent tied to the officially declared inflation is not a wise idea either.
Used to work for Lavagna Jr. at Ecolatina. They lied for a living, starting with their everchanging lineup of employees.

In this economy, a three year contract is simply abusive from the owner's perspective.
The cons outweight the pros, if you can find a single one.
Trying to be popular with those who must rent, in terms of a private contract instead of a national productive policy worth of its name and results, they messed up even more an already tight situation.

Ended up making things much worse.

Contract registration is not going to make more friends on either side.

Iz

In short, the whole point of investing in a place to rent is to make a huge effort to stay above the uncertainties of inflation and the rollercoaster of salaries that hardly ever raise above water level.

Iz

A rent tied to a salary is never a good solution in any sound mind.

The renters income should not be the owners problem in a free market.

A rent tied to the officially declared inflation is not a wise idea either.
Used to work for Lavagna Jr. at Ecolatina. They lied for a living, starting with their everchanging lineup of employees.

In this economy, a three year contract is simply abusive from the owner's perspective.
The cons outweight the pros, if you can find a single one.
Trying to be popular with those who must rent, in terms of a private contract instead of a national productive policy worth of its name and results, they messed up even more an already tight situation.

Ended up making things much worse.

Contract registration is not going to make more friends on either side.

Iz
I am totally with you. It seems the government tries to "correct" unwelcome trends in the rental market with more and more interventionism and making the problem bigger with every measure it takes. It is certainly an unwelcome outcome (on either side) if there are more and more vacant departments in the city

In my personal experience, there are many fake news about what is happening in the rental market.
Some real estate agents are trying to avoid the law but they are exposed to civil and criminal lawsuits because the old coertion tricks now are 100% illegal. In my case I am suing the real estate agent and the owner of the appartment for damages and I might go for coertion at a criminal lawsuit because they started to change the conditions 1 week before to sign a renewal and they demanded the payment of 1 year in advance, 2000 usd deposit, finaer and 40% increase (when I respected the contract during the pandemic, I have no debt with them and 3 months in advance we agreed for 1 year in advance payment with the old fee). Instead they got a carta documento.
Because I respected the contract, my appartment was already too expensive before the increase they “demanded”.
The fact is that in 1 week I got a better appartment, 60 mts bigger, same price without the hilarious increases and under the new law.
I saw a lot of former offices for housing very unexpensive and beautiful. 200 mts, 50k plus 10k expensas does not seems to be expensive at Cordoba 900.
Appartments at the zone near Patio Bullrich at 75k + 10k for a 100 mts2 at Montevideo and Libertador is not expensive at all.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of former offices for housing very unexpensive and beautiful. 200 mts, 50k plus 10k expensas does not seems to be expensive at Cordoba 900.
Appartments at the zone near Patio Bullrich at 75k + 10k for a 100 mts2 at Montevideo and Libertador is not expensive at all.
I don't know what's expensive or not, but when I was looking last year I found the prices a bit high. Of course, I am talking in terms of how much they have gone up. I admit for earning dollars Buenos Aires is incredibly cheap for rent. However, most people don't earn dollar so I assume the market is currently expensive, no? Also, is it the case that with commercial properties now being rented as housing, the tenant pays the commission and not the landlord?

I am glad I got out of the rental market finally after 10 years. Whether it's expensive or affordable, your sitution just shows what a stressful situation renting can be. The demands of your former landlord are crazy.

In my personal experience, there are many fake news about what is happening in the rental market.
Some real estate agents are trying to avoid the law but they are exposed to civil and criminal lawsuits because the old coertion tricks now are 100% illegal. In my case I am suing the real estate agent and the owner of the appartment for damages and I might go for coertion at a criminal lawsuit because they started to change the conditions 1 week before to sign a renewal and they demanded the payment of 1 year in advance, 2000 usd deposit, finaer and 40% increase (when I respected the contract during the pandemic, I have no debt with them and 3 months in advance we agreed for 1 year in advance payment with the old fee). Instead they got a carta documento.
Because I respected the contract, my appartment was already too expensive before the increase they “demanded”.
The fact is that in 1 week I got a better appartment, 60 mts bigger, same price without the hilarious increases and under the new law.
I can't really comment on whether or not it is expensive to rent something here (I guess for those calculating in USD it is pretty cheap).

However, if said article on infobae (post #64) is correct, then there are not only a few real estate agents not adhering to the new law, but roughly 95% of the objects are still not registered. And if that is the case (correct me if I misread this in the article), then that would indeed be very remarkable. I can only guess that a lot of owners are still waiting with the registration and want to see what happens with those who got caught.

Back