Rentista Visa And Tax Issues

An_albumparty

Registered
Hi everyone, I'm planning on moving to Argentina with my partner in a few months, and I'd like to ask a few things about the rentista visa and taxes in Argentina.

So first things first, on the migraciones website it says that they require a min. of $30k pesos a month for a rentista visa to be approved. Does anyone have experience with substituting a monthly income with a lump sum (e.g. money in a bank account or stock ownership)?

Also I have an expired DNI from when I used to study in BA, but when I'm solicitar-ing the turno on the migraciones website, do I still select 'Radicacion+DNI 1er Tramite', or should I select something else?

Regarding taxes: We're not planning on working in Argentina and thus the vast majority of our income will be coming from abroad in the form of dividends and capital gains from investments that we own. I'm not sure whether foreign capital gains and dividends are taxable in Argentina as a google search for 'Argentina impuesto a las ganancias de capital' seems to refer only to gains on property. All of my investments are in non-Argentininan companies (listed outside of Argentina, of course) if that matters.

We're also planning to travel to other parts of Argentina after we arrive (we'll be staying at a friend's place at least initially - btw does anyone know whether I could use his address as a certificado de domicilio?). I've noticed that on the LAN Argentina website the 'warning' about the fares being resident-only no longer pop-up - does this mean it's 'safe' to book on the Argentinian site even if our residency permits are still en tramite? Do you still get a slip/piece of paper from Migraciones on the spot after you apply for your residency just in case LAN asks me for proof of residency?

With Aerolineas it seems to be a bit different - it says specifically that the VAP21 and the TAP28 fares are for residents-only but doesnt mention anything on other fare types. Any opinions/experiences?

Lastly I can't remember how long the entire residency process took me when I was there a few years ago - anyone have updated info on this?

Thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions!

Argentina has no capital gain tax, but a wealth tax on worldwide assets, search for impuesto a los bienes personales.

I recommend you contact Gabriel Celano ([email protected]) for more detail on Rentista Visa. He can provide you with some options, but I encourage an offline discussion about those options for the sake of safeguarding those said options if they aren't currently in the form of monthly distributions. You'll have to seek an option for distributing your lump sum into monthly distributions to yourself, as far as I know, but then my case began 4 years ago and is no longer necessary.

Thanks. I'll have a closer look on the requirements of the rentista visa.

Probably should've made the formatting clearer in my original post but essentially here are my remaining questions:

1. [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I have an expired DNI from when I used to study in BA, but when I'm solicitar-ing the turno on the migraciones website, do I still select 'Radicacion+DNI 1er Tramite', or should I select something else? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]2. [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Do you still get a slip/piece of paper from Migraciones on the spot after you apply for your residency to prove that your application is en tramite? [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3. Does this slip contain your DNI number (which I know is needed for all sorts of things like bank accounts etc.)? If my partner has never had a DNI in Argentina before (or any other form of residency) will there be any number on this slip which can be used as a DNI?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]4. How long does the entire application process take from start to finish (approximately)?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Regarding LAN/Aerolineas fares:[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]5. Can I book any fare on the LAN Argentina site (even without my DNI)?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]6. Is this the same for Aerolineas?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Thanks a lot![/background]

1. "I have an expired DNI from when I used to study in BA, but when I'm solicitar-ing the turno on the migraciones website, do I still select 'Radicacion+DNI 1er Tramite', or should I select something else?"

- Not sure, I've never changed or attempted to change the type of residency visa under the same temporary DNI.

2. "Do you still get a slip/piece of paper from Migraciones on the spot after you apply for your residency to prove that your application is en tramite?"

- Yes. If you are able to continue using that same DNI for a different visa, yoirs will have that number on it. Your partner's will have a different number which could be used to track the status of the tramite on the ministro interior website.

3. "Does this slip contain your DNI number (which I know is needed for all sorts of things like bank accounts etc.)? If my partner has never had a DNI in Argentina before (or any other form of residency) will there be any number on this slip which can be used as a DNI?"

- see #2

4. "How long does the entire application process take from start to finish (approximately)?"

- The completion time varies. Your application and antecedentes (both from your country and Argentina) get reviewed first. Then they review the rest of your application pertaining to your visa request type. My first temporary DNI took 8 weeks to receive from start to finish. Other reports were anywhere from 8 to 16 weeks. My renewal, however, took a few weeks, give or take a few days.

Regarding LAN/Aerolineas fares:

5. "Can I book any fare on the LAN Argentina site (even without my DNI)?"

- Yes. Since you don't currently have residency, you may be asked for proof you are leaving the country prior to the end of your tourist visa term. This can be any form of travel for which you can purchase a ticket.

6. Is this the same for Aerolineas?

- Yes. Any airline. All airlines operate as independent businesses of their home countries, when it comes to purchasing tickets. You may receive a defferent price than residents, but you can still purchase.

"Thanks a lot!"

- You're welcome

matt_uk

.....[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Regarding taxes: We're not planning on working in Argentina and thus the vast majority of our income will be coming from abroad in the form of dividends and capital gains from investments that we own. I'm not sure whether foreign capital gains and dividends are taxable in Argentina....[/background]

If your assets are in the UK, you may be interested in reading this official document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/498342/argentina-dtc_-_in_force.pdf

CONVENTION BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF ARGENTINA FOR THE AVOIDANCE OF DOUBLE TAXATION AND THE PREVENTION OF FISCAL EVASION WITH RESPECT TO TAXES ON INCOME AND CAPITAL

Best to consult an accountant re: your individual situation.

Thanks.

You mentioned that "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Your partner's will have a different number which could be used to track the status of the tramite on the ministro interior website.' Any idea whether this is the future DNI number (would preferrably like to get our bank accounts set up as soon as we can)?[/background]

Re UK taxes: thanks for the heads-up but we currently live in a country where capital gains are not taxed, so nothing to worry about on that side.

You mentioned that "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Your partner's will have a different number which could be used to track the status of the tramite on the ministro interior website.' Any idea whether this is the future DNI number (would preferrably like to get our bank accounts set up as soon as we can)?[/background]

It will not be the future DNI number if it is the primer tramite of a DNI. You only know that number when you receive the actual DNI. I have doubts that the bank would be satisfied with accepting a paper document for your actual DNI when setting up an account. Everything they asked me to provide had to be the actual documents, including my lease since I had no utilities in my name, at the time.

Thanks.

Re UK taxes: thanks for the heads-up but we currently live in a country where capital gains are not taxed, so nothing to worry about on that side.

Regardless where you live, you should check out if the country were you currently have the assets has a tax treaty with ARG.

Example: ARG does not currently have a tax treaty with the U.S. Therefore the ARG [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]wealth tax (Bienes Personales) is applicable on all the U.S. assets being held by the person who has been granted ARG permanent residency as well as the person who holds US/ARG dual citizenship.[/background]

Regardless where you live, you should check out if the country were you currently have the assets has a tax treaty with ARG.

Example: ARG does not currently have a tax treaty with the U.S. Therefore the ARG [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]wealth tax (Bienes Personales) is applicable on all the U.S. assets being held by the person who has been granted ARG permanent residency as well as the person who holds US/ARG dual citizenship.[/background]

Not quite - you also have to live in Argentina more than 6 months of the year.

Back