Rentista Visa vs Digital Nomad Visa

You should actually be living in Argentina. You must take up residence here. Supposedly you are able to leave for short term trips, but you should live in Argentina the majority of the year. To play it safe you can live for 2 years continuously in order to fulfill the requirements for citizenship
You must be here no less than 7 months per year.

The "loophole" is you just enter as a tourist, then pay $6K to immediately apply for citizenship. You will need to wait a few years for the courts to process your case. But sooner or later you should win your case

Yes I landed in Argentina as a tourist and applied for citizenship immediately with the help of a lawyer. Pretty much a textbook case, as I work remotely. No DNI currently.
What status do you currently have? Is it a refugee program or asylum seeker? Really curious about that. Also, if you don’t mind sharing that did you apply alone or with a family?

The "loophole" is you just enter as a tourist, then pay $6K to immediately apply for citizenship. You will need to wait a few years for the courts to process your case. But sooner or later you should win your case.

What status do you currently have? Is it a refugee program or asylum seeker? Really curious about that. Also, if you don’t mind sharing that did you apply alone or with a family?

As arvest indicated in the post you quoted, he entered as a tourist and immediately applied for citizenship with the help of a lawyer (who specializes in citizenship cases for foreigners without a DNI)..

Foreigners who desire Argentine citizenship based on the rights bestowed on all inhabitants to become citizens of Argentina based on their desire to live and work (honestly) in Argentina. Tourists become inhabitants of Argentina as soon as they enter the country.

Applying for citizenship has nothing to to with Argentine migraciones: It is not part of a refugee program and it is not only for asylum seekers. Individauls in those categories are limited to a very small number of countries and a scant few who apply are granted refugee status or given asylum by migraciones, but once they are actually in Argentina, they can also apply for citizenship (and bypass migracones in the process).

It is not necessary to have any family in Argentina to apply for citizenship, but without a DNI, it is apparently impossible to apply (at a Federal Court) alone.

If I understand correctly, as soon as the court accepts the application for citizenship, the individual is considered to have the rights of a citizen that has protection from being deported by Argentine migraciones for overstaying their tourist visa.

Of course without the DNI (national identity number) it will not be possible to open a bank account or get a driver's license for well over two years, but it is certainly possible to live in Argentina without either. The DNI will be issued after the citizenship process is compllete.

As always, I welcome additional information and/or corrections to anything I have written in this post. 🤠

Last edited:
As arvest indicated in the post you quoted, he entered as a tourist and immediately applied for citizenship with the help of a lawyer (who specializes in citizenship cases for foreigners without a DNI)..

Foreigners who desire Argentine citizenship based on the rights bestowed on all inhabitants to become citizens of Argentina based on their desire to live and work (honestly) in Argentina. Tourists become inhabitants of Argentina as soon as they enter the country.

Applying for citizenship has nothing to to with Argentine migraciones: It is not part of a refugee program and it is not only for asylum seekers. Individauls in those categories are limited to a very small number of countries and a scant few who apply are granted refugee status or given asylum by migraciones, but once they are actually in Argentina, they can also apply for citizenship (and bypass migracones in the process).

It is not necessary to have any family in Argentina to apply for citizenship, but without a DNI, it is apparently impossible to apply (at a Federal Court) alone.

If I understand correctly, as soon as the court accepts the application for citizenship, the individual is considered to have the rights of a citizen that has protection from being deported by Argentine migraciones for overstaying their tourist visa.

Of course without the DNI (national identity number) it will not be possible to open a bank account or get a driver's license for well over two years, but it is certainly possible to live in Argentina without either. The DNI will be issued after the citizenship process is compllete.

As always, I welcome additional information and/or corrections to anything I have written in this post. 🤠
Thanks for your answers.

A couple of questions:
1. Since it's possible to apply for citizenship after arriving on a tourist visa, the phrase "but without a DNI, it is apparently impossible to apply (at a Federal Court) alone." seems a bit contrary. Did it get this wrong?
2. How to get Bank account/SIM card without DNI (after citizenship application has been lodged)?

How to get Bank account/SIM card without DNI (after citizenship application has been lodged)?
You can now open a bank account without a DNI and it won't matter if you have applied for citizenship.

Enter "Bank account without DNI" in the search box of this site and you will learn how it's done.

Then see if you can learn about getting a SIM card in a similar search

Since it's possible to apply for citizenship after arriving on a tourist visa, the phrase "but without a DNI, it is apparently impossible to apply (at a Federal Court) alone." seems a bit contrary. Did it get this wrong?
If you try to apply for citizenship at a federal court on your own with a tourist visa, you will will be told you need a DNI.

Only a lawyer who knows what he's doing will.be able to get the couch to accept the application without you having a DNI

If you try to apply for citizenship at a federal court on your own with a tourist visa, you will will be told you need a DNI.

Only a lawyer who knows what he's doing will.be able to get the couch to accept the application without you having a DNI
Got it, thanks!

Back