Request for valueable advice.

Surferz1234

Registered
Hi All..
I needed some valueable advice.. If i apply and get a student visa to argentina ((i am holding bachelors in electrical engg. )) ..is there ANY possibility for me to get a permanent visa after one year or maybe i can apply for citizenship through a lawyer?? I am a citizen of pakistan in south asia and australian permanent resident also. Any kind advice by esteemed dr. Rubilar will be of Great significance for me. Adieu peace out..

Remo

If i apply and get a student visa to argentina ((i am holding bachelors in electrical engg. )) ..is there ANY possibility for me to get a permanent visa after one year or maybe i can apply for citizenship through a lawyer?? I am a citizen of pakistan in south asia and australian permanent resident also.

Since Dr. Rubliar ofetn provides very short answers, here's my "detailed" opinion (subject of course to Dr. Rubilar's corrections):

If you are accepted for admission by an approved academic institution in Argentina you have no guarantee you will be granted a student visa, even for one year. I don't think there have been any posts by citizens of Pakistan who have posted about trying to get one. Earlier this year an individual from Nigeria posted that his visas application was rejected after he was accepted for admission to study in Argentina.

You will not be able to get permanent residency until the third renewal (the beginning of the fourth year) of any type of temporary residency. I am not sure if temporary residency as a student can ever be upgraded to permanent residency.

Based on Dr, Rubilar's posts in the past, it still may be possible to apply for citizenship after you have been in Argentina for one year. Two years of continuous physical presence will be required before the citizenship may be granted.

One think to keep in mind before you apply for a student visa or try to apply for citizenship after you have been in Argentina for a year is that both migraciones and the federal court will want to know how you are/will be able to support yourself while you are in Argentina.

PS: Unless you have an Australian passport, I don't think your status as a permanent resident in Australia will make any difference with either migraciones or the federal courts in Argentina.

Since Dr. Rubliar ofetn provides very short answers, here's my "detailed" opinion (subject of course to Dr. Rubilar's corrections):

If you are accepted for admission by an approved academic institution in Argentina you have no guarantee you will be granted a student visa, even for one year. I don't think there have been any posts by citizens of Pakistan who have posted about trying to get one. Earlier this year an individual from Nigeria posted that his visas application was rejected after he was accepted for admission to study in Argentina.

You will not be able to get permanent residency until the third renewal (the beginning of the fourth year) of any type of temporary residency. I am not sure if temporary residency as a student can ever be upgraded to permanent residency.

Based on Dr, Rubilar's posts in the past, it still may be possible to apply for citizenship after you have been in Argentina for one year. Two years of continuous physical presence will be required before the citizenship may be granted.

One think to keep in mind before you apply for a student visa or try to apply for citizenship after you have been in Argentina for a year is that both migraciones and the federal court will want to know how you are/will be able to support yourself while you are in Argentina.

PS: Unless you have an Australian passport, I don't think your status as a permanent resident in Australia will make any difference with either migraciones or the federal courts in Argentina.

Hi mr steve.. Thanks a lot for your reply.. I had asked because the respected argentian ambassador in my country has been encouraging local students towards applying for higher education in argentina.. However i have no information regarding the visa process itself with respect to pakistani nationals...i was intending to self-finance myself through the educational process and was also hoping for legal assistance later on if it came to that step i.e. applying for residence.. I do believe however that i read in one of your posts that a student visa stay does count towards permanent residence/citizenship and that encouraged me to move forward :(..maybe i will look into it though i understand pakistan doesnt fall in the list of mm preferable countries for visa authorities world wide. i have just been infatuated with latin america for years having studied in usa for my bachelors degree and having met some good people from the region.however i appreciate and thank you again for your honest and detailed reply. ..and if you happen to bump into any useful information regarding my inquiry would you be kind enough to update me pls.. Gracius. Remo.

A Syrian friend applied and was accepted by a private uni in Argentina but later denied a visa.
WHY don't you stay in Australia?

Once you are here is very difficult to be deported and citizenship can be achieved.
I had worked some cases of people from Pakistan and there were no extra prejudice at Federal Courts like it happens with Chinese.

I had asked because the respected argentian ambassador in my country has been encouraging local students towards applying for higher education in argentina.

I would take this as a very positive indication that your chances of getting a visa to study in Argentina are good, provided you can fulfill all of the requirements.

I was intending to self-finance myself through the educational process and was also hoping for legal assistance later on if it came to that step i.e. applying for residence.

Does the expression "self finance" mean you have savings that you will use to support yourself while you are a student or do you intend to work in Argentina? If I understand correctly, a student DNI will grant you the "right" to work in Argentina, but I don't know if migraciones would react favorably if you tell then in advance that's what you are planing to do. This isn't particularly a good time to seek any kind of employment in Argentina.

I do believe however that i read in one of your posts that a student visa stay does count towards permanent residence/citizenship and that encouraged me to move forward .

I may indeed have posted that temporary residency based a student visa could be upgraded to permanent residency on the third renewal, but that most likely would have been based on another post I read. Even if it was correct at the time, that could have changed by now. I don't recall ever reading a post by a member of this forum that was granted permanent residency at the start of their fourth year of studies, so I hope we'll hear from someone who knows for sure.

As far as I Know, the two year "unterrupted physical presence" requirement for citizenship has nothing to do with your status with migraciones, though having a DNI as a student might make it possible to apply for citizenship without legal assistance and the related costs, but your chances of success may be greatly enhanced if you are represented by experienced legal counsel.

If you have permanent residency in Australia and it's not likely to be revoked, why would you seek either permanent residency or citizenship in Argentina?

If, based on your infatuation with Latin America, you simply want to obtain permanent residence in a Latin American country, I suggest you consider Paraguay. The "latest" information I have is that if you deposit about $5000 USD in a Paraguayan bank and stay in the country for six months you should be able to obtain permanent residency.

One note of caution: I've also read (in the past year) that the claims of an "easy" path to Paraguayan citizenship may be greatly exaggerated and that it is rarely (if ever) granted to foreigners.

Last edited:
Hi serjio.. Thanks for your interest.. Its just the fact that i was interested in the latin region on the whole which has been attracting me towards it. I find the people to be warm and friendlier not to say that australians arent.. Its more of a desire to relive time thats passed me by in a way.chao.

Back