Request: Hunting For Red Stag

Well Argentina welcomes foreign hunters, it brings in cash for animal and wildlife protection and helps keep pests like the pigeons under control.

The ignorance in this thread is amazing. Agriculture and highways have enormous negative effects on wildlife and their natural habitat but noone seems to care. A hunter has no negative effect but it is the end of the World.

You kill animals for pleasure. Bloodlust, not hunger.

Yes or no?

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]The ignorance in this thread is amazing"[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] you say?[/background]

I can accuse you of a few things too, and I can start right away if that's what you're after.

Talk about ignorance. Know yourself first, killer.

So you want to bring agriculture's impact on the environment? Let's introduce the reason: overpopulation. Too many of us people on Earth to feed and manufacture stuff for.

Shall we get started? Soon we'll be branching out debating justified genocide and eugenics…

Oh yes, agriculture and infrastructure are bad for the planet, so let's all of us globally go out hunting instead, and exterminate wildlife in the name of ecology.

Argentina welcomes foreign hunters for the money, not because of ecological reasons. The cash it brings isn't for animal and wildlife protection, but to line the private pockets of whoever is in the business.

"Keeping pests like the pigeons under control" … The little stories you tell yourself before going to bed, to feel good about your hobby. Like all bedtime stories, sounds a lot like B u I I S h 1 t.

You kill for sport and pleasure. Because you like it, not because you need to feed anyone. And the same goes for the tourists who travel far and wide just to get their rocks off by killing.

In the Tres Arroyos county alone, pidgeons will eat up to 40% of your crop(sunflower) before harvesting, so go tell the farmer hunting pidgeons is bad for the enviroment, and the down pidgeons are given to a local orphanage.... think of that next time you buy a bottle of sunflower oil

In the Tres Arroyos county alone, pidgeons will eat up to 40% of your crop(sunflower) before harvesting, so go tell the farmer hunting pidgeons is bad for the enviroment, and the down pidgeons are given to a local orphanage.... think of that next time you buy a bottle of sunflower oil

Hunting pigeons is just about the same as hunting stags and other "trophy" rare species, huh?

Nobody said hunting pigeons is bad for the environment. Quite another matter is "explaining" that hunting stags (or pumas, or bears, lions, rhinos etc) is helping the environment because the blood money made by those safaris goes to "environmental" projects (like keeping the pigeon population down), which sounds a lot like a load of buIIsh17 to me. The same kind of rubbish is trotted out whenever hunting debates heat up.

So Argentina's environmental entities are so inconceivably organised that your Tres Arroyos pigeon hunt is funded by tourist safaris operated as private businesses? Blood tourism killing stags, pumas and god knows what else in Patagonia (or wherever) helps controlling your crop-eating birds in Tres Arroyos? What baloney.

None of you fans of hunting is answering the simplest question:

Why do you do it?

I know the answer but I want you to write it.

PS
There are no "counties" here, how long have you been in this land?

I'm not a hunter so I can't give you any specific information. If I come across any I'll let you know in private. Look at Isla Victora in the lake Nahuel Huapi. The hunting trips go out from Bariloche or Villa la Angostura. Please look for a certified hunting guide, it's important so that the national park can be on top of the business.

The good thing with hunting on the island is that the deer ( I don't know what kind of deer it is ) has become a problem. The rangers go out there to shoot them off regularly to manage the population. If we (the community) can make some money from it why not.

Again, hunting isn't anything that interests me but I have heard people talking about hunting on the island. In some cases not legally, please make sure that your relatives do so they don't get in trouble.

The good thing with hunting on the island is that the deer ( I don't know what kind of deer it is ) has become a problem.

I wonder whether that is actually true, or just a fabrication put out and circulated by those involved in the hunting tourism industry to attract punters and increase their revenues.

If we (the community) can make some money from it why not.

Do you (as community) actually make any money thanks to that kind of tourism? I reckon all extra revenue originating from hunting trips will bypass you and it won't make a difference to you whether or not there are more or less hunting trips going on.

Tourists with no interest in hunting won't stop visiting your neck of the woods however, regardless of the deer in Isla Victoria.

The rangers go out there to shoot them off regularly to manage the population.

Let them keep doing that without blood tourism getting involved I say. Giving a warm welcome to hunters, somehow doesn't seem too different to encouraging sex tourism.

Who's in for a crossover thread? They're discussing mongers next door.

If you, Tilda. knew there's a big prostitution ring in your town bringing a lot of cash into the community, would you keep quiet about it and enjoy life in town? Would you encourage parties of perverts to come over and do their thing in your area because their trade is good for business in the community?

I have heard people talking about hunting on the island. In some cases not legally

What a surprise

Please look for a certified hunting guide, it's important so that the national park can be on top of the business.

Here's where a new debate branches off, the one about endemic corruption in Arg. and law enforcement never happening. Good luck with the bits about guides being "certified" and officials "being on top"

Winterfell, thank you for your feedback. I have taken it to heart the same way I always do to examine my own beliefs. I wasn't going to meet you arguments because that was not the point of my post.

However, prostitution is not legal and hunting is.

The hunters have to stay somewhere and even if my stake in that market is small (I occasionally rent out my parents' house when they are not here) it's something.

I also teach English at a local institute in VLA and many hotel workers send their children there. If they don't have business we don't.

Clearly, hunting is a very small part of what we have to offer so we wouldn't go under without it.

Personally I can live without it, but I respect people's choice to participate in a legal activity.

Tilda, thank you for you politeness and your carefully written thoughts.

Just a couple of points that go to the heart of all this.

1- Prostitution is legal in this country, just as much as hunting is. You can find it morally abhorrent or not (that debate is sort-of raging next door in this forum right now, feel free to check it out), however legal doesn't make it right (as opposed to morally wrong) and both activities are legal in this land, and both are morally questionable at best.

2- Awe-inspiring and majestic (often endangered) animals get killed for entertainment, sometimes painfully so and sometimes in cruel long agony, just because that's how some people get their rocks off, as a fun day out (sometimes as a family day out, teaching kids how to)…

To get one's jollies killing animals and see them die for no reason other than sadistic pleasure: If that's not a repugnant trait, I don't know what is.

You come across as a sensitive person, I wonder if all of this doesn't bother you just a little. Next time you invite hunters over, think about it.

Personally living next door to a "hunter for fun" or living next door to a rapist, or a child molester, would give me just about the same sense of alarmed unease.

I didn't know that um, Peer to Peer prostitution is legal. I learn something every day.

Back