Reselling Ipads In Argentina

A couple of years ago this was a real money making opportunity. I routinely bought the latest Apple iProducts in the US and sold my old ones for the same price I had paid new. Then, the blue dollar appeared. That changed everything as prices became out of reach for most Argentines (without cuotas), and those with the money simply went to Miami to buy what they wanted.

Craigslist is full of scammers and there are countless stories about getting paid in counterfeit bills. MercadoLibre is a difficult sell. You need to have a good rating, and even then you'll get countless messages asking for a lower price or if you want to trade for a Nokia cell phone. :) I have an iPad2 and iPhone 4 that I do not use but have not yet been bothered to even get listed yet!

Not only Craigslist, but Mercadolibre is full of scammers. Every time I tried to sell an iPhone on Mercacdolibre someone would open a new account (someone that was also selling an iPhone), pretend to purchase mine to take me off the market because I listed my products as the cheapest on the website. It's nearly impossible to sell anything on Mercadolibre. As mentioned earlier in this thread, for the locals it's more convenient to pay in monthly quotes with no interest from Garbarino or Fravega.

Mercado Libre may be tough to sell on depending on what you're selling. Apple products are popular and popular stuff creates a black market and brings the chorros. All the stuff I brought went to family and I didn't mark anything up, but they paid me in dollars when I got here. (Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I brought 3 portable hard drives too) If anyone really wants to make a few extra bucks on their return trip from the US, start taking orders from Argie friends before you leave then you won't have to deal with Mercado Libre. I already have family members and their friends hitting me up for stuff to get on my return trip.

I played dumb and only spoke English to the customs lady that talked to me. Never talk to customs in Spanish, even if you're fluent. The customs lady told me if I was an Argentine citizen then they would charge me a tax to bring stuff in the country, but since I'm not they can't charge me anything.

Not only Craigslist, but Mercadolibre is full of scammers. Every time I tried to sell an iPhone on Mercacdolibre someone would open a new account (someone that was also selling an iPhone), pretend to purchase mine to take me off the market because I listed my products as the cheapest on the website. It's nearly impossible to sell anything on Mercadolibre. As mentioned earlier in this thread, for the locals it's more convenient to pay in monthly quotes with no interest from Garbarino or Fravega.

Hmm... Like Sleuth, I've been selling stuff (mostly Apple electronics) on ML since 2007, and never had such stunt pulled on me. I always sell my items at the lowest price listed. They always sell quick, and never had any issues with any of the buyers (or with any sellers I've purchased from).

ML also offers sellers quota plans for their goods (MercadoPago), so you can list your items in quotas (get paid in full for the sale and your buyer pays in quotas). This only applies to paid ML listings, and not the free listing.

I agree with Sleuth that ML was great to make a good profit on Apple products, but not so much now with the blue dollar. You can still get more for your used items, but not a lot more than what you would get on eBay (US).

If you do bring iPads to sell, bring the ones that are not sold here. The 64GB and 128GB Air models are not imported here, so those can command a better premium than the lower capacity models you can get here at local brick and mortar shops.

Good luck.

I have personally bought and sold electronics when we traveled. ML does let you give cuotas with MercadoPago. Of course if you are a reputable seller, you will sell faster. It sometimes takes several weeks to sell your stuff. Bare in mind though that anything over a certain amount ML will deduct taxes automatically. Items NIB are the ones most sought for.

Back