Residence, Attorneys, DNI...Oh My!

sorry I posted twice because I thought my first one never appeared! Oh well, I like my 2nd go-round better anyways!

White chocolate: Thanks for the suggestions, I will check it out. I would be curious as to your final costs for the whole process.

I definitely will get in touch about the renting and especially the movers. My wife has tons of questions in that department. Right now we are planning on May and at least a 6 month trial stay, but if all goes well, to stay "permanently".

A&A thanks for your message pm me and we'll get in touch. We got some great references from the state department on the mover which I can fwd to you.

Go see Cecilia Garrasino. She is a smart, savvy, young lawyer who has gotten residencies for many of my friends and has mentored me through many a mini crisis. Her English is fluent - really! And she is a perfectly straight arrow when it comes to fees. [email protected]. Tell her I sent you. Cheers, Suzanne White

A&A - Just to clarify (and double-check this as it changes), you can no longer receive "permanent" residency here in Argentina unless you marry an Argentine/have a child here.

There are lots of options for temporary residency - best is to check and see what it easiest in your case.

I have used a lawyer for incorporating here and while yes, it was expensive - it was worth every penny. Re residency costs (as I am in the process of doing a work visa here now that the company is incorporated), the costs that were given by one of the posters (roughly 900 - 1500 USD) are right in line with what I was quoted.

Suerte!

citygirl said:
A&A - Just to clarify (and double-check this as it changes), you can no longer receive "permanent" residency here in Argentina unless you marry an Argentine/have a child here.

Are you sure?

I received permanent residency this past October on the third renewal of my visa rentista (in spite of the change in the law last May). I asked if there was a cutoff date for those in the same situation. The answer was that those who received their visa rentista or pensionado prior to the change in the law should also be able to become permanent residents on their third renewal, but there was just a bit of doubt.

I think it still might be possible to become a permanent resident after having a work visa for "several" years, but I am not absolutely certain.

citygirl said:
There are lots of options for temporary residency - best is to check and see what it easiest in your case.

I have yet to meet anyone who thought getting any type of visa here is easy (including me). I was fortunate to have a brother who picked up my criminal report from the home town police department as well as a letter from my local bank verifying my income and sent them to a friend of mine in Chicago (who took them to the Secretary of State's office for the Apostille and then sent them Fed EX to BA).

I call myself a do-it-yourself-er, but I did have help here, too. When I first applied for and renewed my visa, I went to migraciones in BA with a woman who spoke Castellano (my girlfriend at the time). As I've previously posted, it wasn't necessary to use a lawyer here. The people working at migraciones aren't lawyers, either (as one member recently implied).

I did go to migraciones alone this year (four times in total) to get my permanent residency visa. My Castellano is not so good, but the ladies at the prorrogas de permanencia didn't mind in the least, and in fact, had two other individuals from nearby sectors translate when I didn't fully understand what they were saying.

citygirl said:
I have used a lawyer for incorporating here and while yes, it was expensive - it was worth every penny. Re residency costs (as I am in the process of doing a work visa here now that the company is incorporated), the costs that were given by one of the posters (roughly 900 - 1500 USD) are right in line with what I was quoted.

Suerte!

It may indeed be "necessary" to use a lawyer or at least an accountant to get the investor visa, so I cannot comment on that one.

FYI: Migraciones no longer accepts local police reports...only those from the FBI.

Steve - my understanding and what I was told by a lawyer (and again, why I encouraged him to double-check) was that if you had a temporary resident status prior to the law changing, you could still qualify for permanent but those that had not started the process prior were no longer eligible for permanent residency. My understanding is that the OP has not started his process so I don't think he could get permanent residency.

I would love to know if that is not true.

Citygirl, I do think your information is correct. I just wanted those who received temporary resident visas prior to the change in the law to know they would probably receive the permanent residency on the third renewal, just as I did. If they hadn't read some of the others posts on the subject (especially by 2guysinPM) they might think they had lost their chance. From May to August of last year I thought that I had lost mine. Fortunately, migraciones (perhaps thanks to "lawyers" complaining on behalf of their clients) had a change of "heart" regarding the matter.

In any case, my thanks go out to those who those who were responsible, whoever they are.

citygirl said:

I think it's still possible to get permanent residency if you marry a foreigner who already has it.:D

Back