Residence Through A Child Born In Argentina

realisateur

Registered
US citizen and i've been living in BsAs for a year, now I am a father of a 5 week old baby girl and I am planning to getting permanent residence status through my argentine child. I got all the paperwork and already have my turno to bring all the paperwork required by migraciones. Has anyone done this before? I am trying to figure out the processing time for the residence, getting a DNI after submitting all the paperwork

Thanks for any info

Hi,

I'm a French citizen, I used to live in the UK until April 2011 and my case seems close enough. My partner is an Argentine lady (we're not married) and our son was born in 2010.
In my case it happened as follows :

- I requested a turno at the consulate in London.

- I had to provide my translated and apostilled birth certificate and a UK police record (since I had been a resident for the last few years), also translated. The consulate already had my child's details (partida de nacimiento, DNI etc..) because he had been registered at the embassy in 2010 and had received a DNI.

- 3 days after my turno (during which I handed in my passport, and was interviewed by the vice-consul) I came back and collected my passport and visa, along with the "sobre consular" and, if I remember well, another envelope for migraciones.

- I arrived in Argentina in May and handed the 2nd envelope to migraciones, and paid the entry fee.

- I requested a turno to apply for the DNI once in the country. during that turno I left the "sobre consular". the DNI took about 6 weeks to arrive.

Now I'm not sure how it would play in your case if your baby does not have a DNI, I would suggest you approach the consulate in the US and register the baby so that he has a partida de nacimiento from Argentina. Maybe you can have the DNI done, in any case you will need them to know about your child. Once they do, you will be granted a permanent visa as the father of an Argentine citizen.

Et voila !

Ivan.

US citizen and i've been living in BsAs for a year, now I am a father of a 5 week old baby girl and I am planning to getting permanent residence status through my argentine child. I got all the paperwork and already have my turno to bring all the paperwork required by migraciones. Has anyone done this before? I am trying to figure out the processing time for the residence, getting a DNI after submitting all the paperwork

Thanks for any info

After 7 long years and too many pesos of trying the standard residency route we got our residency on the back of our Argentine baby boy within 3- 4 months of his birth. We did this via our legal rep who had been handling all the previous paperwork so Im afraid I couldnt tell you how it was achieved only that we submitted baby's documentation, got an appt at migraciones, were in and out in a matter of minutes and received our residency stamps within 3 - 4 months,,cannot recall exactly how long as he's 4 now but the process was startling efficient...

Congrats on your new arrival!

Similar story here - after spending so much time in Migraciones over the years I was shocked by how quickly and efficiently the application was processed. The DNI cards took their sweet time to arrive though - delays in the factory followed by delays in delivery.

Getting my daughter's passport was dead easy as well. Nobody would let us queue for anything and it was all over in minutes.

Not related to the application process - but make sure whenever you leave the country to take your child's original birth certificate with you. If you don't have it, they won't let you fly.

Congrats on your new arrival!

Similar story here - after spending so much time in Migraciones over the years I was shocked by how quickly and efficiently the application was processed. The DNI cards took their sweet time to arrive though - delays in the factory followed by delays in delivery.

Thank you! I am registering the birth at the US Embassy as well to get her the American passport so we can go to the states somewhere in September. I will keep a note on bringing the original birth certificate.

Do you remember how long it took to process your application?

Not related to the application process - but make sure whenever you leave the country to take your child's original birth certificate with you. If you don't have it, they won't let you fly.

That is the advice of the century and I wish I'd received it...take a translation with you as well for said certificate as once at Ezeiza they grilled us for not having it translated..in spite of it never being a problem before.

Second useful piece of advice to anyone..get your car windows engraved with the VIN number before travelling ti Uruguay etc..maybe that's a worldwide standard practice but it sure took me by surprise. Life in Argentina is always surprising for good as well as not so good....

Second useful piece of advice to anyone..get your car windows engraved with the VIN number before travelling ti Uruguay etc..maybe that's a worldwide standard practice but it sure took me by surprise. Life in Argentina is always surprising for good as well as not so good....

That's also a fantastic advice. Thank you

I need a DNI so bad... I better go have a baby!!! ..... not sure what my girlfriend will say..... better not sell it that way.... haha

You can also apply straight for citizenship.

I was weighting the pro and cons of becoming a citizen (already have dual citizenship salvadorean/american) Does anyone know if permanent residents can work in mercosur countries as well?

Back