Residency at BA Migraciones, September 2011 update

larinho

Registered
Hi All,

Since this forum and its search function have been very helpful in giving me all information for my residency procedure here in Buenos Aires and since the situation at Migraciones seems to change almost every week, I thought I would post the procedure as experienced by me this very morning, in case it might be of help to anybody else needing to do this in the near future.

I have Dutch nationality and qualified for permanent Residency because of my marriage earlier this year to an Argentine spouse, so details and needed documents may be different depending on your situation, but I believe the basics are the same for most residency appointments (tramites) at Migraciones in Buenos Aires.

Most important change for me was that since the 29th of August of this year, they no longer give out numbers for an appointment on the spot. The only way to get one is online at this website: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?residencias and then click on the "continuar para obtenar su turno online" button on top of the page.

You can then choose from three dates and a timeframe on those dates (8-10, 10-12, etc). Waiting time was around a week, when I made my appointment. To make the appointment online you need to enter the barrio where you live in Buenos Aires (last week it still was the number of the Comunal, so apparently there are still some ongoing changes on the website, making it a bit easier).

More importantly you need to enter the Tramite number on your Argentina criminal record (or more accurately: the lack thereof) that you get at the Registro Nacional de Reincidencia. The number is at the top right corner below the barcode and starts with the letter P followed by 7 numbers.

So make sure you get this first (all info here: http://www.dnrec.jus.gov.ar/AtPartic_Personalmente.aspx ) before you attempt to get your turn online.

When you actually go to the appointment at Migraciones at Avenida Antartida Argentina 1355 you enter almost the first door coming from the direction of Retiro train station. This is called "building number 4" and it has some big signs outside and a stream of people entering, so you should have no trouble finding it. Inside it's one big open space with attendance windows with immigrations staff on both sides and seats in the middle. The windows are divided in different sections, clearly labeled above each section.

One thing not mentioned on the website or anywhere else that I could find, is that your Internet turno does not mean you can sit down in the Tramites Non-Mercosur section for example and wait for them to call you. You first have to attend another section. As you enter building number 4, immediately to your left you will see a section of windows labeled "Biometria/Biometrics". This is the only section that has a long line in front of it, often extending to the back of the building, and this is the one you first have to enter.

After about 45 minutes I was at the front of the line and went up to the window. Here you show your proof of appointment as printed from the Migraciones website, your passport, hand over one of your 4x4 cm photos (see required paperwork below) and have your fingerprints taken electronically. This takes about 5 minutes and from this window you receive a piece of paper that has your photo glued on and the actual number of your turn as shown on the electronic boards above the other sections of windows inside building number 4. Only then are Mercosur and Non-Mercosur nationals separated and attended to in different sections.

I was early for my official appointment but in the end nobody looked at that paper (you leave it at the Biometrics window) and the number you receive at Biometrics is the only one that counts. Going earlier therefore seems a smart idea, specially given the line at Biometrics.

With the paper received at the Biometrics windows you move about 5 meters to the section of windows directly to the right after the entrance of building number 4 labeled "Tramites Non Mercosur". It has an electronic sign and your turn should come up in a few minutes. Even though I was there just before noon, I only had 2 people in front of me. A lot faster than the Mercosur lines, even though they have a lot more windows.

When called up to the window, it's time to show all your paperwork.

The paperwork needed for temporary residence (study, work, rentista, pensionado, priests, etc) can be found here by clicking on your category: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_temporaria

All the papers you need for permanent residency for non-Mercosur nationals (as in my case) are listed here: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?nomercosur_permanente

In short they are:

1. Passport with valid visa stamp (may be a tourist visa)
2. Birth certificate from country of birth with apostille, both translated in Spanish by official translator and legalized by the Colegio de Traductores
3. Proof of lack of criminal record from your home country with apostille, again both translated as under .2 if not in Spanish
4. Proof of lack of criminal record in Argentina as given out by the Registro National de Reincidencia (the one you need to actually make the appointment at Migraciones as mentioned above)
5. Certificado de Domicilio, obtainable for 10 pesos at your local neighbourhood police station by showing your passport and leaving the address you currently stay at. This may even be a hotel. A cop will bring it by your place within 2 or 3 days normally
6. Photocopy of all pages in your passport even the blank ones
7. 2 photos 4x4 cm from the front with a white background showing your face and upper part of your chest and shoulders

Plus the specific documents depending on why you can claim residency. In my case:

8. Marriage certificate
9. DNI of my wife
10. Photocopy of the main pages of wife's DNI
11. Photocopy of marriage certificate

I brought 2 copies of everything with me, just to be sure, as it says in a couple of places that if you don't have all your copies, you will forfeit your turn, but in actual fact they hardly looked at most of it.

One thing noticed earlier by someone on this forum, which I can now confirm, is that they do not want to see your birth certificate anymore. This can save you some money on obtaining and translating, though is of course at your own risk.

Passport, criminal records from both countries, wife's DNI, marriage certificate and certificado de domicilio were all they needed plus photocopies of Passport, wife's DNI and marriage certificate. You also need to write down the names of your parents on a piece of paper and a telephone number where you can be reached

From the criminal records and certificado de domicilio they keep the originals, so you do not need photocopies. Passport, DNI and original marriage certificate are returned directly and they keep photocopies, which is why you only need those. In the end you do not need any more photos either as the one you gave at Biometrics is scanned later, so one photo is enough.

After handing over the papers and waiting for some 5 minutes, you receive two invoices. One for 600 pesos (300 pesos for Mercosur nationals) for your immigration and one for 40 pesos for your DNI.

With these two invoices you walk to the left far corner of building number 4, where there are 4 cashiers windows. You pay the immigration invoice at cashier "1" or "2" whereas the DNI invoice needs to be paid at cashier window "4". This whole part takes no more than 10 minutes and after that you return with the stamped invoices to the person who helped you at the Tramites Non-Mercosur where you should be attended almost directly.

You get to check if all your registered details are correct and sign for them. After that they print your Temporary Residence paper (Certificado De Residencia Precaria) valid for 3 months which already allows you to work, study, travel outside the country etc., as long as you show it together with your foreign passport.

They also hand you the invoice for the DNI that has a barcode at the top which you have to hand over to the mailman to take delivery of your DNI which is sent automatically to your home address in around 30 days.

All in all I was in and out of there in about 1,5 hours with most time spent in line for the Biometrics window. Everybody was very friendly and helpful and if you follow the steps lined out on their website or in this posting, things could not be more simple, even if you speak very limited Spanish.

Unless you are in special circumstances regarding your immigration status, there seems absolutely no need to spend money on handlers or immigration experts. Process went smooth and Argentine bureaucracy really seems to have been coming a long way compared to my first visits here some 15 years ago.

The only remaining advantage I noticed today was some foreigners with local handlers jumping the queue at the Biometrics window, which saved them maybe 30 minutes, but on all other windows they had to wait their turn just the same, so you might well be tempted to spend your money on enjoying BA nightlife instead ;)

Hope this helps some people, feel free to update or correct as things inevitably change over time and enjoy your stay in this weird but, for me at least, above all wonderful country.

Kind regards,

Jobe

Since I may not edit, it of course must be September 2011 update. If the mods could change this I would be most grateful

Kind regards,

Jobe

EDIT: PROBLEM FIXED!

larinho said:
Since I may not edit, it of course must be September 2011 update. If the mods could change this I would be most grateful

Kind regards,

Jobe

Since you started the thread I think you can edit the title. (I just went to one of the threads I started to confirm). If you are logged on, click on "edit" and look for the title in a separate box above the body of your post. Then make the desired change.

PS: GREAT POST!!!!

Larinho:
Congratulations on your marriage!
My American husband married me 30 years ago (I was born in Argentina) and we never got tired of the adventure yet.
Your post is so informative. I am going to print it for future reference.
I do have few questions and I hope you don't mind answering.
How much did it cost?
Did you get to Argentina with a round-trip ticket and visa before starting all this procedure or did you start at the argentinian consulate in The Netherlands?
The reason why I ask is that my husband wants to get his residency permit too. At the argentinian consulate they charge us USD500 to start the procedure here.
Thank you.

zingara said:
My American husband married me 30 years ago (I was born in Argentina) and we never got tired of the adventure yet.

Did you get to Argentina with a round-trip ticket and visa before starting all this procedure or did you start at the argentinian consulate in The Netherlands?

The reason why I ask is that my husband wants to get his residency permit too. At the argentinian consulate they charge us USD500 to start the procedure here.

$500 USD to start the procedure? How much more will they demand to complete the procedure?

Your husband can either become a permanent resident for $600 pesos (payable to migraciones in Argentina) plus the cost of his documents.

OR (because he is married to you) he can apply for citizenship after living in Argentina for one year (assuming it takes a year for citizenship to be granted) for free (with fewer documents)!

At this time he can come to Argentina on a one way ticket (if the airline allows him to board migraciones will not deny him entry) and apply for residency with no waiting period, period.

zingara said:
Larinho:
Congratulations on your marriage!
Your post is so informative. I am going to print it for future reference.
I do have few questions and I hope you don't mind answering.
How much did it cost?
Thank you.

Thanks Zingara, actually I have been living here for 3 months on a tourist visum for the last 15 years. I work in autosports, so work and travel for 9 months continuously and when the tracks in Europe close for winter, I spend the months of November, December and January here in sunny BA.

Inevitably I ran into an Argentine woman a few years ago and now that we got married and are thinking about kids, I decided to move here permanently and say goodbye to life on the road.

I came here therefore on a return ticket and a tourist visum. This is a perfect and very cheap way to get everything done. I go to Europe one or more times a year anyway, so even use the return part, but even if not, there is absolutely no need to ever deal with the Argentine consulate.

The few original documents you need to get from your home country (or in this case your husbands) are his criminal records and birth certficate (and that last one as you saw in my post is not even needed anymore). The criminal records you can get from the FBI if I am not mistaken (as I am Dutch it works a bit different over there), but those procedures are widely published on this forum if you search a bit. If you get those apostilled too, you do not need any stamp from the Argentine consulate.

As the partner of an Argentine national or even the partner of someone with Argentine residency you automatically qualify for residency as well. You can afterward even bring not only in your children, but even your parents. The process as described in my post is relatively straightforward here and you can just enter on a tourist visa and get it done.

The costs I paid here were:

600 peso for the Immigration
40 peso for the DNI
30 peso for Argentine criminal record (if you can wait 5 days)
160 pesos to get my Dutch criminal record officially translated here
65 pesos to get the official translation legalized at Collegio de Traductores

In total a bit under 1000 pesos, so around US$ 250

Apart from that I spend the Euro equivalent of about US$ 100 in The Netherlands getting my criminal record and birth certificate from the local authorities and getting them apostilled.

I do not know what the FBI fee plus apostille is at the moment, but I think those prices are on this forum as well.

I authorised my parents to get the documents in The Netherlands for me and did not even return for that. They just send them to me here via regular mail and they arrived in about three weeks. In the meantime of arranging all I ran out of my tourist via, which was a great excuse for my wife and me to spend a lovely day in Colonia after which I got a fresh 90 days.

As I look at it, it seems a whole lot cheaper, faster and nicer to arrange everything here in Buenos Aires then from an Argentine consulate abroad :)

One more thing: if you got married in the USA then you have the marriage certificate translated as well of course.

Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask

Kind regards,

Jobe

I went through this exact same process in June and was given the 3 month precaria whilst I waited for the DNI to be approved and sent to me. I too paid the $40 peso fee to have it delivered, but I am still waiting. I have been out of the country and when I reentered the woman on the migraciones desk said I have been aproved but I still don't have the document. Does anyone know if there is a long backlog at the moment? Any heads up much appreciated. Otherwise I'll have to go down again and find out what has happened.

Could it be that the postman passed by during your absence? In that case they send it back and I think you have to collect it in person. You can check the status of your DNI on the Migraciones website by clicking "consulte su tramite de residencia" and entering the Nro. Expediente on the left top corner of your Certificado de Residencia Precario plus your birthdate. Mine of course still says "in process" but yours should be further along. Good luck.

Kind regards,

Jobe

Thank you very much Larinho and Steveinbsas.
I checked my notes and the $500 is for the permanent residence permit (not including the cost of documentation required). The good news: the permit is a final document so we don't have to do anything else in AR. The bad news: it's still a lot of money!
USD300 for Tasa Migratoria de tramitado en el consulado (only fro Extra Mercosur foreigners)
USD100 for Cartera Migratoria
USD100 for Visa
I guess US citizens need a visa to enter AR? I will check right now.
El que quiere celeste, que le cueste (old saying from when I wasn't this old)
I just checked http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1130.html and US citizens do not need a visa to enter AR but they will be charged the entry fee of USD131.
I think I like your ways much better! Thanks again.

Back