Residency Attorney recommendations

Brucemj

Registered
Hi All,

Will be moving to BA permanently early next year and am looking for an attorney that is experienced in gaining residency. While I can speak Spanish I am no where near fluent so I would need someone who is bilingual.

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

Brucemj said:
Hi All,

Will be moving to BA permanently early next year and am looking for an attorney that is experienced in gaining residency. While I can speak Spanish I am no where near fluent so I would need someone who is bilingual.

Any recommendations based on personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce

Hi Bruce, Before you consult an attorney you can learn a lot about the visa process in this forum. If you are married to or are the offspring or parent of an Argentine you can get permanent residency without much difficulty. Otherwise, you will need to apply for temporary residency first. If you apply for your visas at an Argentine consulate in an English speaking country you won't really need to know much Spanish at all, and you certainly don't need an attorney, even if you apply for your visa in Argentina.

Whether your move (and residency) is temporary or permanent, I suggest you study the requirements for residency on the migraciones website and learn the terms. This is how I learned a great deal of useful Spanish after my arrival in Argentina. If you want someone here to go to migraciones with you (just to translate) please let me know. I will send you the contact details of the woman who went with me the first couple times. She speaks perfect English and will charge much less than the cheapest "immigration" attorney.

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/?categorias

I had very good luck and very affordable rates with Gabriel Celano who has been recommended on this site in the past. He got me the DNI last year with minimum hassle and very good service. Speaks fluent English.

www.celano.com.ar

Although I was accompanied by the woman I previously mentioned when I presented my papers (for temporary residency) at migraciones (there is no application to fill out), I went to the registo by myself in 2006 to apply for the DNI. That was when it was truly an ordeal to go there (on 25 de mayo) and start the process. I spoke very little Spanish then, but it was enough. That's when the cost of the DNI was 15 pesos. The cost is now about $40 pesos.

Anyone who plans to "permanently" move to Argentina and pays a lawyer or agency hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for this service may not be "ready" to live here. If your Spanish isn't good enough to talk to the lowest of low level bureaucrats at the registro, how will you be able to talk to a doctor, dentist, policeman, or even a lawyer when you really need to do so and can't wait to find one who speaks English?

I think it's great if the OP is being transferred here for work and either has an employer who will pay all the costs of using an agency or lawyer or if they just have money to burn. The latter would give them a preview of life in Argentina as they will see their money burning in so many other ways once they are here. Fees at migraciones alone have increased at least three fold in the past few years.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the link as that should give me the latest info. I can speak Spanish fairly well but with complex conversations would want someone fluent. I have been reading up on the requirements from other websites so am familiar with some of what is required.

Did a cursory look in this forum but didn't find a residency section but will do a more thorough check again.

Again, thanks
Bruce

TomAtAlki said:
Also check out the advantages and disadvantages of residency, especially tax wise.

That is one area I have some concerns about and need to understand fully. Thanks, Tom

kre8ivelyXposed said:
I had very good luck and very affordable rates with Gabriel Celano who has been recommended on this site in the past. He got me the DNI last year with minimum hassle and very good service. Speaks fluent English.

www.celano.com.ar

Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it. Congrats on getting your DNI!!

Bruce

Brucemj said:
Did a cursory look in this forum but didn't find a residency section but will do a more thorough check again.

Though there isn't a "residency section" in the forum you can find many relevant threads using key words such as "residency" in the search feature. Adding terms like "visa" and "permanent" should narrow the search.

Here's just one thread that didn't get much attention (and may not apply to you), but it could be very important for those who have temporary residency but aren't living here full time:

Temporary residency renewals require 6 months in Argentina

If you are able to indicate the type of visa you will be applying for, perhaps others can provide additional information in this thread. Ironically, permanent residency is the easiest to apply for, but only if you qualify.

steveinbsas said:
Though there isn't a "residency section" in the forum you can find many relevant threads using key words such as "residency" in the search feature. Adding terms like "visa" and "permanent" should narrow the search.

Here's just one thread that didn't get much attention (and may not apply to you), but it could be very important for those who have temporary residency but aren't living here full time:

Temporary residency renewals require 6 months in Argentina

If you are able to indicate the type of visa you will be applying for, perhaps others can provide additional information in this thread. Ironically, permanent residency is the easiest to apply for, but only if you qualify.

I will be going for the Financier visa as I will be able to ensure I have the $2200 per month income. I am looking for permanent residency.

Ciao
Bruce

Back