Which Type of Residency?

GringoExpat

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am new here and I have a question about residency types. I have steady income from the US and I also own a company. Which type of residency should I apply to? Should I form a company in Argentina or is it possible for me to simply justify income from the US under the rentista visa? From what I read on their government's website, personal income does not seem to be a valid source of income for the rentista visa, so I would need to find a way to document other forms of income.

I speak fluent Spanish and plan to reach out to lawyers over there soon, as I only just began my research this morning, but I wanted to see if anyone here had applied to residency under similar circumstances and would have some advice. Thank you in advance.

It sounds like you can come through rentista if your company earns you more than the minimum income. I did something similar, just a US-based company.

Rentista is for passive income, not from employment, nor pension, those have different visas.

Income can originate anywhere in the world, but I hear that it needs to be remitted to Arg bank account, and Migraciones will want to see them on Arg bank statements. Obviously it is better to keep them in dollars, not pesos, but that might be difficult. I hear it is difficult to get dollar accounts in Arg these days. There is some speculation that keeping it as dollars in a Western Union account in Arg might work. Please share your experiences when you start working with Migraciones on the process, since interpretations by Migraciones often vary, and we are interested to hear what they are currently doing.

Also, any update on how the monthly amounts are calculated would be appreciated. Since the minimum monthly salary hasn't been updated since December, the process for negotiating the next increases broke down last week, and Milei has said under no circumstances will he intervene in such an issue under a decree (and so there is effect no minimum monthly salary under law at the moment) what amounts is Migraciones (or lawyers) telling people to deposit for the months of January and February?

I've heard you could make a trust fund designed to pay you the minimum over the 1-3yrs you want. Arranged in such away that the trust is dissolved once you obtain citizenship or whatever.

Basically you get a fat stack of cash/bonds/stocks?, talk to a lawyer, transfer those assets to the trust and have the trust release whatever the stated minimum is to you in the bank account you need. This keeps the assets out of argentina while also providing the bank deposit migraciones wants to see.

I've heard you could make a trust fund designed to pay you the minimum over the 1-3yrs you want. Arranged in such away that the trust is dissolved once you obtain citizenship or whatever.

Basically you get a fat stack of cash/bonds/stocks?, talk to a lawyer, transfer those assets to the trust and have the trust release whatever the stated minimum is to you in the bank account you need. This keeps the assets out of argentina while also providing the bank deposit migraciones wants to see.
Sounds overly complex. Why not simply have the cash sitting in USA account with monthly payments done by hand or perhaps automatically? Or is the trust a trick to make it look like it is coming from a third party?

Sounds overly complex. Why not simply have the cash sitting in USA account with monthly payments done by hand or perhaps automatically?
The Visa Rentista requires 'uninterruptible' payments. You should not be able to change your mind and simply decide not to send it this month.

Back