Residency in Argentina

PK

Registered
Wife and I own land in Argentina. Father wants to move to Argentina and look after our property. He speaks spanish and is over 70 yrs old. We will have a person caring for the property and he would just watch over things. Can he get residency? Is it hard? Can we pay him? Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

If he has a guaranteed/irrevocable pension or social security in the equivalent of $2000 pesos (about $700) per month he can get a one year (renewable) visa. You can also deposit funds in his bank account in your home country and he can make ATM withdrawals here (cirrus network allows the highest). It is doubtful you giving him money will qualify him for a "work" visa in Argentina, nor will those funds be considered for the other visas.

Excellent topic to open for Q & A... I'm sure there are those of you whom have paid their dues, waited in all the lines, and now are set for residency and work; Others who could really care less; And some inbetween, like me, who are working out the details right now.
From what i've been told, in order to start the process, one needs the following: Original Birth Certificate translated into spanish here in AR / Official Police Record which has been notorized and then translated as well. Then one can go to the consulated to apply for the DNI (Documento Nacional de Identidad para extranjeros) @ www.migraciones.gov.ar . THEN.. One may be issued a CUIL identification # at the Argentine social security office for tax purposes.
Somebody please correct me if I am on the wrong track here...

Pescador, you're off to a good start, but your information is not complete. First it is necessary to apply for a visa at the Argentine consulate in your home country OR at the office of migraciones on Antardida in Buenos Aires. To obtain a visa which is good for one year (and must be renewed anually) one must provide proof of income form a pension, trust, or annuity. Money in the bank or income from investments do not qualify. In addition to the "notarized" and translated documents (birth certificate, proof of income, police report in home country), a police report for Argentina must also be obtained (possible at migraciones on Antardida). Only after the visa is granted will a DNI be issued by (and only at) the Resistro de las Personas in Buenos Aires.It is not possible to receive the DNI without getting the visa first. (It is also possible to obtain work, research, investor, and student visas.) It is not necessary to obtain a CUIL from AFIP if you are not working in Argentina (at least as long as you are considered a "temporary" resident). If and when you become a permanent resident, your worldwide assets and income (active and passive) will become taxable in Argentina.

I have made several detailed posts on this subject in the past few months. The topics are under appropriate headings. Failure to have all of the documents will result in delays and failure to meet all of the requirements will result in denials.

Why bother with all the headaches with trying to get residency. The fine for overstaying your visa is a whopping $50 pesos about 15 U.S. dollars.To apply for the visa costs about $400 pesos plus standing in long lines, getting lots of documents, lots of hassle. Also don't forget this has to be renewed on a yearly basis.I am not aware of any particular benefits residency bestows on the holder of this dubious document. It does put you on the radar so that the local taxing authorities can start trying to extort money from you. I have been in South America since 2002 and in Argentina for going on three years without residency and have had no problems other than paying the occasional fine for staying longer than 90 days.

If you are a foreigner without residency owning property in Argentina, I have heard that upon selling there is some tax to pay on any profit made. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Thanks for all of the information. It sounds like the best thing to do is spend 3 months in country and either return to the US, Chile or some other country in South America and let it go. We do not want our US income to be taxed in Argentina.

Steve in BA thanks and take care.

Hi everyone. I'm not an expat YET. My wife and I are planning to start spending several months at a time in Argentina, beginning in 5 years when I retire. In the meantime, we go there all of the time and will, in fact, be in BsAs during the entire month of July, 2008.
Here's my question which is relevant to this topic. Because my father, a US citizen, was born in Argentina, I can get Argentine citizenship. I've already applied and am waiting for my DNI. Is there any advantage to having Argentine citizenship? Tax advantages? Other advantages?
I guess the reason I went to the trouble of applying for citizenship wasn't really about any advantages. It was simply both a matter of pride and of having a Plan B, so to speak. In my humble opinion, George W Bush has so thoroughly screwed up the USA that it may never recover. And if another Republican Administration comes in, things will only get worse. It's good to have a Plan B in case this country goes to Hell. Again, just my perspective, however warped it might be.

Are there any stiff penalties if you are discovered to be, "working en negro" (without proper documentation), or would it just be the employer to pay the price??? I haven't the freedom of any income from the U.S, so I have to do whatever I can. Just thought someone would have some feedback for that one.

Let's all get something straight once and for all..... I too, had been told repeatedly that as a foreigner, I would be penalized when I sold my apartment. I do not know how this lie or myth was built but everyone believes the same thing.Truth is...I just spoke to an Argentine Accountant, very reputable also used by locals, who told me, under no circumstances are foreigners taxed on their property when selling EXCEPT an AFIP tax of around 1.3% on the selling price and this is annulled if you purchase another property, regardless of the amount (higher or lower than the one you sold). All you have to do is register the selling apartment with AFIP. THERE ARE NO CAPITAL GAINS TAXES ON FOREIGNERS IN ARGENTINA. We receive the same regulations/treatment as Argentines. I had been told of this possible 35% property tax when I sold my apartment and its completely inaccurate. BTW....no DNI required. I have been here since 2003 and its a complete waste of time, money, headaches, etc., trying to apply at immigrations. Why bother? Just do the renewal and/or Colonia thing every three months. The less the government knows about you, the better off you are.

Back