Resiprocacy Fee/lost Passport

iNeverlearn

Registered
I was in Buenos Aires for a little while last year. I'm pretty sure the cleaning lady stole my passport. As an American I was required to pay the RIDICULOUS $250 recipocracy fee when I arrived at EZE. I will be making my triumphant return next year. Will I have to pay the fee again? Is there some sort of record of me paying the fee?

You can blame this fee squarely at the US state dept.

Hey, at least you didn't have to go and interview with some bozo from the Argentine consulate who asked to see all your papers and question you about how much money you make, etc.

That's what my wife had to do to get her USA visa. We got married in the US and so between her family and friends they all had to pay about $2000 USD in visa fees. So, I say stick it to the Americans who come here. Charge them every last cent!

Send a letter to your congressman to complain. Maybe if enough Americans complain about getting charged abroad, the USA will stop charging foreigners who want to visit the USA.

Your wife had to interview with some "bozo" because the overstay Visa numbers for Argentines are high. If people would enter and exit like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be an issue. So you can thank la gente for that, actually.

Hey, at least you didn't have to go and interview with some bozo from the Argentine consulate who asked to see all your papers and question you about how much money you make, etc.

That's what my wife had to do to get her USA visa. We got married in the US and so between her family and friends they all had to pay about $2000 USD in visa fees. So, I say stick it to the Americans who come here. Charge them every last cent!

Send a letter to your congressman to complain. Maybe if enough Americans complain about getting charged abroad, the USA will stop charging foreigners who want to visit the USA.

To answer your question, yes you'll probably have to pay again. You should've only paid $140. Now you have to do it over the internet before you arrive, and the fee is $160.

Wait - you have to do it over the internet? Since when? You can't pay it at the airport when you arrive any longer?

And it's definitely not $240 - last I saw it was $140.

ETA - According to what i just read, you can still pay it at the airport until Dec 28th at EZE. Can anyone verify?

Your wife had to interview with some "bozo" because the overstay Visa numbers for Argentines are high. If people would enter and exit like they're supposed to, it wouldn't be an issue. So you can thank la gente for that, actually.

Yet if I use the search function on this forum (or just go back a few pages), I would find various threads about people hanging here on tourist stamps, best way and where to pay the fine, will I be fined, how many tips can I do the Colonia run etc etc.

The fact is that not all countries have to pay the reciprocity fee when they come to Argentina, but USA and my homeland, Australia does.

I seriously doubt that. The US rules say that you shouldn't have to have visas if overstays are below 2% and Argentines are way below that number. Show me the stats to the contrary. There's no way that 2% of Argentines are overstaying visas. In my opinion it is 100% politically motivated. Every since Kirchner shamed GWB in the Mar del Plata trade conference, US-Argentina relations have been pretty rocky.

What are you talking about man?
First: read the overstay statistic of the eeuu government immigration bureau and you will see that Argentina is not a country that overstay the visa almost, is far below 2%, in other words is in green status so shouldn’t be demanded a visa, that why they were negotiating to eliminate it In this years the reason is more political. Back in time before the Argentina stop paying their debs 2001 there was no need for visa for Argentines to go to America.
Second and more important: you are talking of visa overstay in a forum were almost all the people american, australian, canadian or European is in big degree overstaying their tourist visa, You should know better when you say something like this or not say nothing at all.

There are also strict passport security requirements for a country to be visa free entry to USA, this could in part be why the Argentines still require visas, as well as the political motivations of course. Would be interesting to know if the new Argentine passports meet the requirements.​

Back