Restaurant recommendations

Deirdre

Registered
Restaurants I recommend in BA

El Salto de las Ranas
Mexican Rodrigues Pena 1169 T 48112635 (AP$10 - $15 per dish)
Location - Barrio Norte (Rodrigues Pena con Santa Fe)
They know how to make Fajitas and offer a great mini margarita on the house which makes it very difficult not to choose one when it comes to ordering drinks!

BuddhaBA
Asian (has Japanese (no sushi), Thai, Taiwanese) (AP$15 - $25 per dish)
Arribenos 2288 T 4706 2382
Location - Belgrano
Take the train to from Retiro to Tigre (pay 50c), and get off at Belgrano, the second stop. Cross the tracks (right) and turn left, go past the various chinese stores and restaurants into the next block and it's at the end on the left hand side. Closed Monday www.buddhaba.com.ar has fabulous desserts! By the way, this street known as China Block is where you can get spices, coconut milk, great rice and all the things you thought you might find in a supermarket but don't

El Repecho
Parilla Carlos Calvo 242 San Telmo T 4361 1269 (AP$15 - $20 per dish)
A fabulous little place in San Telmo that closed for years and opened its doors again, in a little colonial building. Ate there with a friend on a Tuesday. It was totally empty and we wanted a place with a bit of atmosphere but stayed only because the waiter was such a great salesperson without being pushy. Despite there being only one other couple there all night it was well worth staying. They have a great second floor outdoor terrace which is apparently packed on weekends and Friday and Saturday night reservations are required. Weekdays it gets a good lunch crowd for business lunches but v quiet at night.

La Corte
Arevalo 2977 Las Canitas (Belgrano) T 47750999 (AP$10-15 starter - $20 approx main)
Contemporary cuisine (with Argentine influence!)Nice restaurant with good ambiance, menu quite interesting - I had a great meal (pork with bubble and squeak!).

Dada San Martín 941 (Microcentro) Tel. 4314-4787 (AP$10-25)
Great little place downtown, not sure when it closes but definitely open after midnight. V laid back, inexpensive and great food.

There are so many in BA.....A nice Parilla in Las Cañitas is Campo Bravo. Good food, great meat and salmon, nice ambience.

LA Payuca is another good parilla. It also has a good play area for kids

Cafes-

For sweet tooths, a GREAT cafe is Maru Botana in Belgrano, on 11 de Septiembre (between Olleros and Gorostiaga). It is small, but cozy and offers amazing cakes, vegetable tarts, and yummy scones. Worth a stop for breakfast or afternoon tea!

A classic cafe in BA, is Las Violetas in the ALmagro neighborhood (?). Beautiful "belle epoque" place, with an amazing selection of facturas, pastries, and sandwiches "de miga". A must for visitors.

La Rosa Inglesa, on Juramento 2990, esq. Conesa, in Belgrano R neighborhood, is another lovely place. Very cozy, old house converted into a cafe, with traditional Tea Time in the afternoon. Great if you crave English style sweets!

Ice Cream-
Ice cream fans you MUST go to Un'Altra Volta on Libertador, next to the Dany Cafe.. I think it is the best ice cream in BA! Persicco is a close second.

dont miss "Bar Gran Danzon", Libertad & Arenales. Good food, superb wines and great environment...

El Salto de las Ranas is the closest thing to decent Mexican food I have found also. After living in Los Angeles for 4 years and growing up on the West Coast, Mexican food is surely missed.

Another great place is Campo dei Fiore (San José 491, cross street Venezula in Congresso). It has excellent Italian food and not too expensive (about AP$15 or less for dinner and the menu of the day for lunch is $6 or $7 with wine or water and a cafe or desert).
My native BsAs friend goes there 3 times a week.

I also second Volta for ice cream... amazing.

This restaurant is fabulous! It is organic and vegetarian and the food is so VERY creative and tasty: It is BIO Restaurant, Humboldt 2199 (esq. Guatemala) in Palermo Hollywood.
They have a menu del dia is about $12 to $15 pesos....otherwise a beeyootifool dish of brown rice and tofu and vegies is about $8 pesos.

Back