Retired USA citizens applying for residency in Argentina

Thanks for this information. I didn't have any idea of this when I was attempting to begin the temporary residency process last October.

I'm sure it will be useful to other retired US citizens when gathering their documents for the residency process as pensionados.

I recently found the complete text of the immigration law online
http://www.gema.com.ar/ley25871.html

Article 23 section (c) applies to pensionados:
c) Pensionado: quien perciba de un gobierno o de organismos internacionales o de empresas particulares por servicios prestados en el exterior, una pensión cuyo monto le permita un ingreso pecuniario regular y permanente en el país. Podrá concederse un término de residencia de hasta tres (3) años, prorrogables, con entradas y salidas múltiples;

a google translation, not mine:
c) Pensioner: who receives from a government or international agencies or private companies for services rendered abroad, a pension whose amount will enable a regular and ongoing cash income in the country. May be granted a period of residence for up to three (3) years, extendable, with multiple entrances and exits;

If anyone knows what immigration personnel will accept as a reason for wanting to retire in Argentina, please share it with us. They didn't accept that I own an apartment, made a life here and receive social security as sufficient reason. I love the people, the city, and the tango. That's the reason I moved here in the first place.

Planning my move to Argentina I read through this whole thread and consulted a few other websites and I am nothing but confused.
Well, I got some good things. At least the SSA part sounds fairly straight forward.

The part about a bank account - citibank, passport and whats a CDI?

Police reports - I have not actually lived in the US the last 5 years, should I get a police report from where I have been living or an FBI check? or both?
How long does it take to get the embassy appointments? (about)

THE FOLLOWING APPLIES TO ALL US CITIZENS IN ARGENTINA RECEIVING SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS

Every two years, SSA sends a REPORT TO THE UNITED STATES SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION FORM SSA 7162-OCR-SM Failure to complete and return this form within 60 days will result in suspension of benefits.

If you answer "YES" to any of the questions below, turn to the back of the form to provide answers.

* Has there been a changed in your citizenship or your country of residence that you have not yet reported to SSA?

* Have you married or had a divorce or annulment since you last reported your marital status to SSA?

* Did you work for someone else or were you self-employed (i.e. did you own a business or farm) since your last report of work to SSA?

Answer the following question only if you are the parent of a child under age 16 or disabled and you receive Social Security benefits because you have this child in your care.
* Did you and the child live apart since you last reported the child's living arrangements to SSA?

In addition to the events listed on this form, you are responsible for reporting any other event that may affect benefit payments.

Sign and date the form on the reverse side. Provide new address information if you have moved.

Complete instructions are provided in Spanish for naturalized citizens in Argentina who receive benefits.

I received the above form dated June 2, 2015, today in my mail, for the third time since my benefits began.

SSA may also use the information you provide when we match records by computer. Computer matching programs compare our records with those of other Federal, State or Local government agencies. Information from these matching programs can be used to establish or verify a person's eligibility for Federally-funded or administered benefit programs and for repayment of payments or delinquent debts under these programs.

Back