Returning to BA after 10 years, a DNI CUIT question

Just to be clear (in English), having to "start over regarding the DNI" means applying for new temporary residency (as opposed to "applying for a new DNI" (which is issued after temporary residency is granted)?

As the original CUIT includes the numbers of the original DNI, will the "new" DNI be a different number than the old one?

I'm asking these questions because artisans indicated that he knew that he needed the CUIT to ship his personal effects to Argentina.

Even if the CUIT he already has "works for a lifetime" and he can use it to ship his stuff to Argentina, won't he need to present a vaild DNI to the ADUANA before they will release his belongings without charging import fees? Is it possible to get them released with a precaria...or will they release the shipment with only the CUIT he already has?

I never shipped anything to Argentina, but I've read posts from those whose personal effects arrived before they received their DNI were charge daily storage fees and, in at least one case, those fees quickly exceeded the value of their stuff. I don't think the individual I'm thinking of ever mentioned the CUIT. I do remember that he just shipped his stuff and did not use a customs broker.

PS: If I was in artisans' shoes, I'd want to be sure of the answer before I made the shipment and it would not surprise me if someone who only knew that "the CUIT works for a liftime" assumed that's all they needed after reading that statement in a post that may not have included enough detailed information to draw the appropriate conclusion.

PS2: Is there any way applying for citizenship "right away" would expedite getting artisans' personal effects into Argentina or getting them out of customs?

artisans here..... I'm being advised by the despechantes aduanas (customs broker) on what I will need to do - basically apply for temporary residence and have a rental contract, along with other paperwork requirements of applying. Estimated time it takes is 2 weeks. None have indicated the need for a DNI in order to claim the goods.

artisans here..... I'm being advised by the despechantes aduanas (customs broker) on what I will need to do - basically apply for temporary residence and have a rental contract, along with other paperwork requirements of applying. Estimated time it takes is 2 weeks. None have indicated the need for a DNI in order to claim the goods.

When you are granted temporary residency you will "instantantly" receive a precaria (and you will receive your tarjeta DNI (the physical card) later).

I'm not sure if the precaria actually shows the number of your DNI, but, as your CUIT is "good for a lifetime" and that's the number you need to make the shipment, I believe your next step should be to ask if you can claim your goods with your precaria and a constancia of your CUIT (which you can print yourself).

PS: The Aduana will be able to check the system to see if you have been granted temporary residency and of course they will also be able to see your CIUT. Based on what the customs broker told you, it looks like you will initiate the shipment using your passport number and your CUIT. Perhaps that's all the Aduana will need. If that's the case, just be sure you allow enough time to actually receive your temporary residency (even though you will still be waiting to receive your DNI) before your goods arrive.

Last edited:
When you are granted temporary residency you will "instantantly" receive a precaria (and you will receive your tarjeta DNI (the physical card) later).

I'm not sure if the precaria actually shows the number of your DNI, but, as your CUIT is "good for a lifetime" and that's the number you need to make the shipment, I believe your next step should be to ask if you can claim your goods with your precaria and a constancia of your CUIT (which you can print yourself).

That's encouraging news, that the CUIT is good for a lifetime. In my previous papers the only place the DNI number shows up is on the DNI card itself. Not seeing it referred to elsewhere. Hard to imagine Argentina immigrations won't pick the CUIT up for use with the new precaria. I believe the precaria is fundamental to being able to claim my goods. Finally now have a very professional despechantes aduanas working with me and i'll be pressing your point and question with him on this as well.

PS: The Aduana will be able to check the system to see if you have been granted temporary residency and of course they will also be able to see your CIUT. Based on what the customs broker told you, it looks like you will initiate the shipment using your passport number and your CUIT. Perhaps that's all the Aduana will need. If that's the case, just be sure you allow enough time to actually receive your temporary residency (even though you will still be waiting to receive your DNI) before your goods arrive.

Very good, I'm also in accord with your vision of how this plays out. And as the sea freight takes 45 to 55 days, there is some luxury of time to apply and receive temporary residency. As soon as the shipment loads on the boat I'll be flying to Bs.

Three weeks later, survived the brutal movements to move personal effects (en route by sea freight) and myself by plane - from Bangkok a 28 hour endeavor via Ethiopian Air (they're commendable for such a trip on their ample seats in Economy and they permissive limits on luggage (2 in economy @ 23 kg) and for only charging me U$90 for 2 bags topping 30 kg plus a stacked up "carry on" of 23 kg that no one took notice of. Made it easy to forgive the food service. Argentina Customs blithely cleared me through and at the bag scan point entered the required note about my shipment arriving later in the passport.

I'm going to continue to describe the experience and requirements here in case it can help any poor soul navigating the experience of migrating to Argentina. First off, get your criminal record check if possible in person where you are originating (find someone who can navigate the docs and fingerprints, and local verification of the certificate (etc) and go to the Argentina embassy for the apostille. With that alone you've dodged a bullet for time, money, frustrations of dealing with an online service. Next, the Customs brokers of Argentina are a family useless lot, you need one in order to receive and clear your personal effects shipment. It appears they like to avoid personal effects shipments and want to be in the business of cargo and containers. Shipping companies, handling my shipment at my origin were unable to get a reply from them! Through internet and WhatsApp I went through 4 of them until getting referred to Universal Cargo here at Bs. Slow, inattentive, they turned the CUIT issue into an issue with my shipper, but finally relented, without apologizing, when I sent them a screen shot of my CUIT and name from AFIP website. Once I started calling them and challenging them over the phone things improved. They seem mercenary but this week i'll go to their office to sort things out. Shipment arrives 10 May.

So then begins the process of documentations. I was referred to an adequate and modestly priced notary in Belgrano that notarized my Power of Attorney, and, after I got print outs of all pages of the passport, front to back, they got it Apostilled through an Escribano and notarized. Challenging working it out with them in Castellano I think in English would of been nearly impossible although someone did speak English there. Next and just now has been starting the process, as steveinbsas pointed out, through the Radex website. i wore myself out trying game out the necessary documents and requirements. And there's a lot of misleading and irrelevant information out there to drive you crazy. But once getting the registration through http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesible/indexD.php you're suddenly in a fairly straightforward procession of registering for temporary residence. With the back up help of Google Translate you can make sense of and follow the instructions to start the process, make the payment for the service with a credit card, get some ancillary payment tickets that you have to pay at a bank. The wild card of getting an Argentina criminal record check is also taken care of through this process (someone, have not done it yet). A major benefit! So far the only document needed from outside the Radex is the "certificado de domicilio" which for foreigner without DNI can be managed here, with making an appointment: https://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/tramites/certificado-de-domicilio-para-extranjeros-sin-dni That's where I am, next steps, as of today - arranging for a "certificado de domicilio" by appointment, paying the extra little invoices required at a bank, and preparing to upload pictures of required docs to the Radex.

Here's where I'm hoping for some advice: #1 I had the distinct impression that a rental contract for a year was a necessary pre-requisite for applying for a temporary residence, but the "certificado de domicilio" is just requiring proof of residence (not sure in what form yet) and the complicity of two people with DNI to attest, plus my passport. Nothing about length of contract or about a guarantee. #2 As I'm applying for temporary residence as a pensioner, and the Social Security system in my country of origen provides loads of documentation for proof of pension, the amounts, where the deposit is sent, etcetera and it's all downloadable on line - Can I get those docs Apostilled and notarized here in Buenos Aires as well? I know it all has to be translated here. #3 Am I overlooking something that hasn't come to light yet, that will be required? None of this is what you'd call simple but so far it has been straightforward and clear on what you need to do. Is there a trip wire somewhere in the next steps? One other thing to note: In the Radex system they're reporting that Arg$ 30,000 is the income/pension amount required. Is the Radex system and it's rules the definition of income requirements?

Last edited:
Back