Returning to US - dogs

markbsas

Registered
[FONT=&quot]We are starting to think about going back to the US. We brought 2 dogs with us last year and we know what was involved from the US to Argentina, but now it’s time to figure out the details from here back. We have whippets - one dog weighs 25 pounds and the other weighs 35 pounds. We’d like to have them both in the same crate if possible, like we did when we came here DELTA from Atlanta.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the US the 2 options were checking them as baggage or shipping them separately as cargo. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What airlines from here to Miami are best to use? Do any of them have restrictions on taking dogs this time of year?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]What airlines or companies ship dogs as cargo from here to Miami?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I appreciate any info you may have to share. Thanks[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

why not go to the airlines web sites or call them.

Yes, of course we can, and we will. In the US we spent weeks planning the move with the dogs. We did not know about this forum at that time. Someone here who has already been through this may be able to help steer us in the right direction and away from the wrong airlines/companies and save us a ton of time and frustration.

Thank you

Delta is the best when transporting pets. That's what I have heard & I get that sense when reading about the issue and reading the airlines websites. They seems to dedicate more attention to animals. The other ones barely mention it.

Personally, I would take them with me on the same plane. I would never ship then as cargo. But this is a personal decision probably based more on emotion than fact.

If you need someone to do the paper work for you, I can recommend my vet in Palermo. They will go down to Puerto Madero and get the papers for you.

Hi mini,

Yes, I absolutely agree. DELTA is awesome, and our preference. That's who I used when I came down with the dogs from Atlanta in September and they were on top of it.

Only downside is that DELTA has a blackout for flying with animals from May 15 to Sept 15. My wife flew to BsAs last July and I waited until Sept 16th just so we could use DELTA. If we can find a way to leave before then it would be great.

In addition we are traveling to Miami this time and if we took DELTA there is no direct flight. Instead we would have to stop over in Atlanta, change planes and then fly to Miami. So if possible I'd rather not add to their flying time and have a change of planes.

If we were traveling to Atlanta, there would be no question. I'm just wondering what the best option is going into Miami.

Anyone know if Aerolineas Argentina is good with care of pets checked as baggage?

I didn't know about the "black out dates" as I only travel with my dogs in cabin. Sorry I can't help any more. The only other international flights I've taken with the dogs has been with Luftansa. They are also very dog friendly, but won't help you to/from the states.

I'll keep my ears open. Good luck! :D

Next week we're taking our cat for the first time to the US with American Airlines to Miami. If you want to know how it went, send me a PM after the 31st.

We were also told that airlines are no longer allowing pets in the cabin from BA to USA (but I'm not sure if it is just for the winter period). You can also check LAN as they also fly to Miami. A relative of mine took a 4 mo old pup via LAN (checked baggage) a while back. Everything went smoothly and they had no issues.

You probably know this already, but you'll have to have your dog's papers in order, and get the international export certificate from Lazareto / SENASA. We got ours today and only took 15 minutes. The airline may also want a letter from the vet authorizing your pets to travel within the baggage cargo temperature range for your flight. If you need help with the paperwork I'd recommend our veterinary Federico. He's very professional, speaks english and does house calls. He's been very helpful in getting us what we need for our cat to travel. His web site is http://www.housecallvet.com.ar/

Good luck! :)

Excellent info! This gives us a really good start on things

Thank you very much!
Mark

You may run into some blackout times because of the summer temps in Miami. Check American and Lan. AA arrives eraly in the AM and LAN has a flight that arrives around 11PM.
I would [did] avoid Aerolineas AR

Manuel at Las Lunas (www.las-lunas.com.ar) here in BsAs was a huge help in transporting our dog from San Francisco to BsAs. I would recommend going with an agency.

Also, Mark, since you've been here for a bit, if you could post any great resources you've discovered here in BsAs, that would be great!

Buena suerte,
Carly

Back