Ria Money Transfer - Usd Pickup

bolides

Registered
Does anyone know if it is possible to pickup USD at any of the Ria locations in BA? I am a US citizen without a DNI and am sending money from my US bank account to myself here. The Ria website allows USD as one of the pickup options, but I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if it is possible to pickup USD at any of the Ria locations in BA? I am a US citizen without a DNI and am sending money from my US bank account to myself here. The Ria website allows USD as one of the pickup options, but I feel like I am missing something.

Thanks!
nkotb is right. It is not possible. It would be automatically converted to pesos here. You could to travel to Uruguay or Chile and sent a Ria wire to yourself there and receive it in USD.

Thanks!

You can't transfer money (dollars to pesos) to yourself via RIA. They don't permit it, but XOOM does. https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/countries/send-money-to-argentina
The page calculates the amount you receive in pesos at the current rate offered by RIA (which is usually higher than XOOM).

Transfers are collected in the local currency, so you will not get dollars in Argentina, only pesos at the current rate of exchange on the day of processing the transfer online with XOOM.

You provide the transaction number and your passport at MORE Money to pick up the transfer. If the amount of pesos is over 3,000, you must go to the CASA CENTRAL office on Libertad 1057.

Uruguay is a close trip to pickup dollars cant use Ria or Xoom to get dollars, they automatically convert to dollars like the above posters said. IF you want to drive to Uruguay its a nice drive with a few things to do along the way. Pretty country ride to the first bridge and its about 100 kilometers away.

You can't transfer money (dollars to pesos) to yourself via RIA. They don't permit it, but XOOM does. https://www.riamoney...ey-to-argentina
The page calculates the amount you receive in pesos at the current rate offered by RIA (which is usually higher than XOOM).

Transfers are collected in the local currency, so you will not get dollars in Argentina, only pesos at the current rate of exchange on the day of processing the transfer online with XOOM.

You provide the transaction number and your passport at MORE Money to pick up the transfer. If the amount of pesos is over 3,000, you must go to the CASA CENTRAL office on Libertad 1057.

Thanks for the reply! Does RIA not allow it based on local law or is it more the case (concerning USD to pesos) that RIA prohibits initiating the transfer from an Argentine IP address if the destination of funds is also Argentina? The latter would obviously be easier to work around.

Some companies will do it to a dollar bank account if you have AFIP permission. Again you have to bein blanco to do this.

Otherwise , you have to get the ferry/....

Thanks for the reply! Does RIA not allow it based on local law or is it more the case (concerning USD to pesos) that RIA prohibits initiating the transfer from an Argentine IP address if the destination of funds is also Argentina? The latter would obviously be easier to work around.

It's the IP address. Also (at least in the past), RIA has has a policy of calling the sender to confirm that the transfer is legit. You can get a US number from Skype with the area code of your "home" address for RIA to call, but I wonder if he fact that you are sending the funds to yourself and would pick them up in person in Argentina would still present an obstacle. You will not have any problem making the transfer with XOOM. One member posted that he was able to send funds to himself by calling RIA but I don't know if that would be possible now. It's probably worth a try.

Until recently, all of my RIA transfers have been "processed" by Argenper (RIA's Argentine partner) but last month a family member made a transfer to me that was just under $5000 pesos. The transfer was initiated on a Monday and the email confirmation indicated the funds would be available by Thursday. I called Argenper on Wednesday to be sure they had all the updated documentation they needed to complete the transfer and they told me it was not in their system. I called RIA and was told the transfer had been completed on Tuesday! It appears that the funds went directly from RIA to my Argentine bank account but I am not absolutely certain that's what happened.

The bank account in which the funds were deposited is new and I had not yet set up internet banking, so I went to the bank and the funds were there. I still don't know if the transfer did not have to go through Argenper because the amount was less than $5000 pesos or is something else has changed. ALL of my previous RIA transfers had been processed by Argenper and I learned to keep the amount below $5000 pesos so I would not trigger the need to submit a new declaration jurada (a pain to do as I have to drive 20km to scan and send it from an internet cafe).

There is no way as a tourist that you can receive dollars in Argentina when making a transfer with RIA. Bank to bank transfers of dollars used to be common but I believe the funds always went through the Banco Nacion and were converted to pesos and than back to dollars at the official exchange rate plus the transfer fees (and/or a commission if making the transfer through a casa de cambios). This wasn't a big deal when there was only one exchange rate but if the same rules apply today, the "loss" would be enormous.

It's the IP address. Also (at least in the past), RIA has has a policy of calling the sender to confirm that the transfer is legit. You can get a US number from Skype with the area code of your "home" address for RIA to call, but I wonder if he fact that you are sending the funds to yourself and would pick them up in person in Argentina would still present an obstacle. You will not have any problem making the transfer with XOOM. One member posted that he was able to send funds to himself by calling RIA but I don't know if that would be possible now. It's probably worth a try.

Until recently, all of my RIA transfers have been "processed" by Argenper (RIA's Argentine partner) but last month a family member made a transfer to me that was just under $5000 pesos. The transfer was initiated on a Monday and the email confirmation indicated the funds would be available by Thursday. I called Argenper on Wednesday to be sure they had all the updated documentation they needed to complete the transfer and they told me it was not in their system. I called RIA and was told the transfer had been completed on Tuesday! It appears that the funds went directly from RIA to my Argentine bank account but I am not absolutely certain that's what happened.

The bank account in which the funds were deposited is new and I had not yet set up internet banking, so I went to the bank and the funds were there. I still don't know if the transfer did not have to go through Argenper because the amount was less than $5000 pesos or is something else has changed. ALL of my previous RIA transfers had been processed by Argenper and I learned to keep the amount below $5000 pesos so I would not trigger the need to submit a new declaration jurada (a pain to do as I have to drive 20km to scan and send it from an internet cafe).

There is no way as a tourist that you can receive dollars in Argentina when making a transfer with RIA. Bank to bank transfers of dollars used to be common but I believe the funds always went through the Banco Nacion and were converted to pesos and than back to dollars at the official exchange rate plus the transfer fees (and a commission if making the transfer through a casa de cambios. This wasn't a big deal when there was only one exchange rate but if the same rules apply today, the "loss" would be enormous.

Thanks Steve...I just submitted a small transfer from myself to myself via RIA using a VPN. I'll follow-up on how it goes.

Thanks Steve...I just submitted a small transfer from myself to myself via RIA using a VPN. I'll follow-up on how it goes.

You're welcome and you have apparently cleared the first hurdle. When I tried to make a RIA transfer without a VPN I got the "can't be done from Argentina" message immediately.

Back