Rice Krispies

tortadepatti

Registered
So I just ran a search for Rice Krispies and came up empty handed. I'd like to make some good 'ol US snacks to share with my classmates and as I'm without an oven, Rice Krispie Treats seemed ideal. Except I can't find any. Are they anywhere to be found? Uruguay maybe? (Also accepting suggestions for other no-bake goodies (except those oatmeal chocolate things everyone makes in home-ec. blech.)) Cheers to cultural compartimiento.

You can get puffed rice cereal which is essentially the same at nearly any grocery store (sometimes they're in stock, other times no... just like lots of things here). The problem is that the marshmallows sold here are flavored (strawberry I think), so unless you brought your own or have a stash you're probably out of luck on the rice krispy front....

They have Coco Krispies in a lot of the grocery stores if you want chocolate rice kripsy treats, look for the elephant, snap crackle and pop don't exist here :) I bought the puffed rice cereal sold in bags and it is not the same at all, they are not crispy, so don't waste your pesos. I have not bought marshmallows but in other threads they have said that while they are colored, often pink or blue, they are not flavored.

I make using the version made by GRANIX. It says Arroz en copos Crocante and it's in a baby blue bag. The problem I have had is in finding marshmallows. All I can find in Bariloche are ones that are pink, green, yellow and white and they have a flavor to them. So it's not the best treats in the world, but it meets your craving if you have one.

You must look for alternatives. Why not bring, raw vegetables, fruits, nuts. figs, dates, raisins. Some of these suggestions might be a bit expensive, but less than the cost of a trip to Uruguay, where they pobably don't have them, either.
If junk food is a must, look for cellop .hane packages of cereal. They're usually on the bottom cereal shelf at Disco

BaltRochGirl said:
They have Coco Krispies in a lot of the grocery stores if you want chocolate rice kripsy treats, look for the elephant, snap crackle and pop don't exist here :) I bought the puffed rice cereal sold in bags and it is not the same at all, they are not crispy, so don't waste your pesos. I have not bought marshmallows but in other threads they have said that while they are colored, often pink or blue, they are not flavored.

The colored marshmallows actually are flavored (check the ingredients and you'll see the flavor additive). that said, if one is really desperate for marshmallows here you could make your own with either unflavored gelatin or agar agar powder sold in dieteticas!

Now I have a craving for rice krispies! Damn you*!!! ;)

(*just kidding)

Kelloggs had a factory in Pilar, but it was closed when the production costs got too high. The peso pegged to the dollar meant that they could not afford the wages.
Ironic when you think what happened twelve months later.
Now the nearest plant is in Brazil, and with Argentina blocking imports, you are going to find these products hard to find.
There is no sunshine breakfast on the horizon I'm afraid, so its either buy inferior local rice products, or learn to pop your own.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I was able to find the Coco Krispies at a nearby Carrefour, thanks for the heads-up on that. In terms of marshmallows, I found some of those flavored ones at a nearby Kiosko for a total rip-off. Looks like Dona Clara has the best pricing at about $20 pesos/300grams - wondering if the flavor would be really weird or still good with the Coco Krispies?
As of now I'm considering making these "Peanut Butter Krispie Treats" http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/321861 though I was hoping for a more authentic US "goodie"
Thank you again for all of your responses!

Back