Riding a bicycle in Buenos Aires

Pumssi

Registered
I just bought a bike! For me it's like having a baby. Now I need a lock for my love and I think a helmet would be handy, too. Anyone know where to buy these things? I've been living here 3 months now and I might have seen a bike store at some point but can't remember where it was...

Opinions about riding a bike here? Is it way too suicidal and does my bike get immediately smashed if I leave it outside in front of my school or some store o algo?

"Anyone who rides a bike if a friend of mine"

Mil gracias!

Your bike won't get "smashed" if you leave it outside in front of your school. but it will get stolen. Buy a burly U lock, no other locks will suffice (I've gone through 5 bikes in as many years) and they WILL get stolen if you leave them out too long, in the wrong area, after dark, etc. Most neighborhoods have bicicleterias that will sell the locks (seriously, don't skimp on the lock) and helmets, or at least direct you to a nearby place that does.

When riding around be careful on the main avenues--taxis and busses are your principal enemies. Just keep your eyes open and ride as safely as you can, and you'll be fine! I LOVE riding a bike in BA, my life is divided clearly into two chapters here: before/after bike. Have fun!

The only place I really feel safe riding a bike here is Puerto Madero (where it's technically prohibited, but the policemen just watch with glazed eyes as you whiz right by.) I think it's fantastic that Macri is putting in so many new bike paths around the city, but still... with those colectivos flying down the street at top speed, somehow I doubt the .35 m "separador fisico" is going to protect me from being squashed like a bug :(

planning on buying one but I thought about bringing one from the US...may I ask the cost?? would you compare it to some abroad?? i ask cause the good ones seem to be too too pricey here and I am old enough to have to buy one that will keep me alive the years I got left :-((((

starlucia said:
The only place I really feel safe riding a bike here is Puerto Madero (where it's technically prohibited, but the policemen just watch with glazed eyes as you whiz right by.) I think it's fantastic that Macri is putting in so many new bike paths around the city, but still... with those colectivos flying down the street at top speed, somehow I doubt the .35 m "separador fisico" is going to protect me from being squashed like a bug :(

have you seen the separadores? They're pretty burly looking, I think that if a colectivo "flying down the street at top speed" hit one of them then it would become an actual flying colectivo, which of course would still be a problem.

Thank you for your replies!

Postmodernchild, mine was 350 pesos. I find the price OK because it's in a good condition.

Good locks are expensive, no?

Bueno, me voy a buscar estas cosas. There must be some bicycleteria nearby!

Avoid the bicisendas, they are practically useless and often blocked with parked cars, dumpsters, etc. - which become quite a problem, due to the aforementioned separadores. Clearly the brainchild of someone who has never actually commuted via bicycle in the city - they don't connect, often terminate into one-way streets going the wrong way, and slope hilariously into the gutters in most areas.

That said, Buenos Aires is glorious on a bicycle, especially if you avoid avenidas and bus routes, take smaller streets. I recommend lights, and to watch out for drunk drivers at night – they are an ever-multiplying horde.

The first Sunday of every month, there's a critical mass which leaves from the Obelisco a bit before 5pm. Quite fun and relaxed.

Bicisendas that don't connect? Jeje, very good.

I found a lock but they didn't have the huge U-locks.. this is a 15mm cable. Maybe it's ok if I don't leave the bike on the street but lock it and keep it inside the whatever building it might be... hope so! The lock cost 67 pesos.

Still looking for the helmets, the new ones cost half of my bike^^

About riding at night - is it safer than walking? For me it sounds better because in then I'm going faster than the shady guys on the streets. And I don't have to wait for the bus, most likely alone. But the drunk drivers etc..

Bicisendas that are being put in are a godsend. I travel everywhere on my bike and use it for transport for my job(personal trainer). I love to use my bike but have become wary of using it. I only use it when I have too whereas when I lived and worked in London I used my bike without a second thought. I came off my bike and broke my hand when I hit the door of a parked car with the person opening it. People here open the door here without looking are any care for bicycles passing. Porteños are always rushing everywhere but when you are waiting for them to do some work they are in no rush! Other near misses of opening doors have been met with a sheepish laugh and no apology which is not really sufficient for almost taking my head off. Then you have to contend with the cars whizzing by you on the outside. The truth is I only enjoy cycling in robust bicisendas these days which the majority of people think is a pathway in many places!

Get a robust chain the type that a saw slips on when it tries to cut and a sekur brand lock doble traba as they say here as it has two locks which means its not suicient to cut it once as it is locked both sides. these can be purchased at most hardware stores. THey will probably cost about 150 pesos these days for the two of them but it is worth it if you want to keep your baby.Helmets are likely imported and if they are will be expeeeensive.

I ride a fair amount in the city, and I never leave it on the street. Best advice I can give is only ride to where you can keep the bike indoors or directly in sight; otherwise, take a colectivo or the subte.

I've been toying with the idea of a cycling meet-up if any of you are interested. Maybe once or twice a week?

Back