"Right to work" in Argentina

This is curious: They (foreigners) are not obliged to ... pay extraordinary compulsory taxes.
No taxation without political representation: ABC of the republican democratic system.

If someone comes to Argentina as a tourist with the intention of living here. Is it obligatory to get the work contract from a company registered in migraciones/ allowed to hire extranjeros OR he can work wherever (a restaurant for example) and he gets work contract from it and then apply for temporary residence? Thanks in advance!

If someone comes to Argentina as a tourist with the intention of living here. Is it obligatory to get the work contract from a company registered in migraciones/ allowed to hire extranjeros?
As far as I know, the business must deal directly with migraciones when they want to hire a tourist/foreigner who does not already have temporary or permenent residency which allows them to work without special permission from migraciones-

I recently read that someone with the visa pensionado can open a business or work on line in Argentina and that sounds reasonable, but the same sentence indicated they cannot be employed by a business.

I am not sure the second claim is true and if it applies to other categories of temporary residency as well (the visa rentista or the student visa for example).

OR he can work wherever (a restaurant for example) and he gets work contract from it and then apply for temporary residence?
I am 99.99% certain that it is not possible for a tourist to get a "work contract" with a business and then just go to migraciones and get a "work" visa.

I believe the business must take the necessary steps on behalf of the future employee to obtain the desired visa, and the tourist/foreigner must provide the required personal information, including the criminal background reports.

I believe the business must take the necessary steps on behalf of the future employee to obtain the desired visa, and the tourist/foreigner must provide the required personal information, including the criminal background reports.
Thank you Steve for your valuable answer as always! But any employer (business) can take the necessary steps on behalf of the foreigner (tourist for example) in order to gain temporary residence or there is a list of employers that are already registered in migraciones as allowed to hire foreigners which means not everyone can just hire a foreigner and then go to migraciones to submit his/ her necessary papers to get him residency.. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Thank you Steve for your valuable answer as always! But any employer (business) can take the necessary steps on behalf of the foreigner (tourist for example) in order to gain temporary residence or there is a list of employers that are already registered in migraciones as allowed to hire foreigners? Many thanks!
As there always has to be a first time any Argentine business hires a foreigner, I don't think a business has to pre-registered with migraciones, but they will have to take the necessary steps before that individual could begin working.

Since you used the example of working for a restaurant, it would be inteesting to know under what conditions migraciones would grant a work visa.

Perhaps, for example, the Hotel Sofitel would be able to get a "work visa" to hire a highly skilled French chef, but I have doubts that it woud be possible to secure a work visa for an invividual who does not have the level of skills that cold be performed by an Argentine citizen or somoeone who already has residency which allows them to work without getting permission (like a server or a dishwasher).

As there always has to be a first time any Argentine business hires a foreigner, I don't think a business has to pre-registered with migraciones, but they will have to take the necessary steps before that individual could begin working.

Since you used the example of working for a restaurant, it would be inteesting to know under what conditions migraciones would grant a work visa.

Perhaps, for example, the Hotel Sofitel would be able to get a "work visa" to hire a highly skilled French chef, but I have doubts that it woud be possible to secure a work visa for an invividual who does not have the level of skills that cold be performed by an Argentine citizen or somoeone who already has residency which allows them to work without getting permission (like a server or a dishwasher).
If you apply here, they just check if you really works there, according to the files I have seen.

If you apply here, they just check if you really works there, according to the files I have seen.
Does this mean that any Argentina business can hire any foregner and then the foreigner can go to migraciones with a "work contract" and get the "work" visa and then migraciones will simply check to see if the individaul is actualy working at the business?

Does this mean that any Argentina business can hire any foregner and then the foreigner can go to migraciones with a "work contract" and get the "work" visa and then migraciones will simply check to see if the individaul is actualy working at the business?
Until now, at least, the business must be registered in the RENURE database as permitted to hire foreigners. Then, with this and all the other documentation required, the foreigner can go to migraciones. And yes, at least until the pandemic, migraciones did check on the business and that the salary was being paid, and received by the foreigner (signed receipts). Now, with the pandemic and remote working, I'm not sure how this works.

Back