Rio Negro moves to eliminate school report cards, then reverses course

Redpossum

Registered

Again, the titles above are in Castellano, but if you follow the link, the story you see will appear initially in Castellano, and then change to English in a few seconds.

So, yeah, eliminate the traditional report card. Right. They had to reverse course very quickly. I tried to search the professional history of this woman who is Minister of Education and Human Rights, (what the heck are those two things doing together?), but I found nothing. They wouldn't appoint her to such an important post unless she was an experienced teacher, right? RIGHT?

It sure sounds like an idea cooked up by somebody who never had to teach in the classroom...

Last edited:

Again, the titles above are in Castellano, but if you follow the link, the story you see will appear initially in Castellano, and then change to English in a few seconds.

So, yeah, eliminate the traditional report card. Right. They had to reverse course very quickly. I tried to search the professional history of this woman who is Minister of Education and Human Rights, (what the heck are those two things doing together?), but I found nothing. They wouldn't appoint her to such an important post unless she was an experienced teacher, right? RIGHT?

It sure sounds like an idea cooked up by somebody who never had to teach in the classroom...
How many other countries appoint experienced teachers to the post of minister of education?

Contrary to the old British joke[1] since the 1944 Education Act as far as I'm aware only two teachers have ever been appointed UK Ministers of Education. I think just three university academics have held the post - all the rest have been business people, lawyers or career politicians.

[1]Them as can, do: them as can't, teach. Them as can't teach, teach teaching, them as can't teach teaching, inspect. Them as can't inspect become Minister of Education and tell everybody else what to do.

sure sounds like an idea cooked up by somebody who never had to teach in the classroom...
Not commenting on this official's professional capabilities, but in their defense some people excell at things different than their education (or lack thereof).

Washington was a plantation surveyor, Mao was a librarian, Napoleon spoke French with a thick Corsican accent and struggled to spell the language of his empire, and Mandela was a student, lawyer, and Thembu royal house member, turned communist activist.

I personally work in tech, yet my educational background is in international relations, regional studies, and comparative political economy, and when I ran retail stores one of my colleagues had a Masters in Oceanography, another was a highschool dropout, and another a chicken farmer.

Sometimes people excell at different things, but this doesn't seem to be the case for the minister of education 😅

Back