Risk of flying?

chris

Registered
What are people's experiences/views of long flights to / from Argentina for example fro,/to USA or UK. How risky is it? What was it like? Crowded?

I’ve probably flown Argentina-Europe-África return 4 or 5 times since the start of the pandemic. First when they didn’t even make you wear a mask.

I would say that these days now that nearly every country/airline asks for a PCR test prior to boarding and everyone wears a mask it is no more risky than going to the supermarket for your shopping considering the high levels of infection in most countries at the moment.

On the routes I’ve flown the planes have been no more than half full which also helps. Can’t say for the route you’ll be flying.

There is basically no distancing once you’re in the airport or on the flight.

Make of that what you will.

Flights are not full at the moment - especially since only Argentines can really use them. Will likely be this way until at least after our winter.

In terms of risk - It is of course still possible to get COVID on a long flight even with pre-departure testing since travelers could still be at the incubation or early infection stages when tested with the infection developing further on the flight. Despite that it is still a lot safer than sitting on a bus or train for a decent amount of time given the air filtration systems. It’s probably far safer than being in a restaurant near to an infected person for less time too. Attached an article that talks about a scientific study done on some cases linked back to a long haul flight and how they suspect it happens.

Majority of international flights I have been on have been full... There are either a lot of Argentines working overseas or they really like taking holidays. Brazilians are some of the worst - every flight through Brazil has also been full...

Flights are not full at the moment - especially since only Argentines can really use them. Will likely be this way until at least after our winter.

In terms of risk - It is of course still possible to get COVID on a long flight even with pre-departure testing since travelers could still be at the incubation or early infection stages when tested with the infection developing further on the flight. Despite that it is still a lot safer than sitting on a bus or train for a decent amount of time given the air filtration systems. It’s probably far safer than being in a restaurant near to an infected person for less time too. Attached an article that talks about a scientific study done on some cases linked back to a long haul flight and how they suspect it happens.

I read a version of that article when it appeared in the New York Times. I can't find the companion article about an outbreak predominantly in Business Class but I have found the paper that it was based on here: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/11/20-3299_article. My reading of that paper is that transmission in this case was not inevitable but behavioural

Just reinforcing what @antipodean has said, last time I looked, the number of aircraft-acquired cases of Covid-19 were still only in double-figures. Even though the number of commercial flights has plummeted over the past year, millions of journeys are still being undertaken each month. I think an individual following the airline protocols has a better chance of winning the lottery jackpot than catching Covid-19 on a plane.

I have flown to and from the UK 2 since the pandemic started and each flight has been almost full. It is hard to say if it is safe but in my opinion you would have to be unlucky to get covid on the flight as everyone must have a negative test before boarding now.

Back