Property Mgr. leaves bldg. at risk

PaulBee

Registered
From our email messages, it appeared my property manager was going to repair the roof of a building where I have the top floor. There was "junky" type stuff left on the roof by another owner, which had to be moved in order for the roof work to be done. (It is not a condo.) So, he got his partner, a lawyer, involved. I had the impression the lawyer was going to write to or send a denuncia to the owner of the garbage. This was a couple of weeks ago. I was shocked to find, after the storm, that nothing has happened. Few of my questions are getting answered. I don´t know about damage to my unit or other units. I don´t know whether the insurance agent was contacted. I don´t know whether my property manager is willing to have some guys move the junk to my unit (rented out but over 500 square meters, so perhaps we could rent some space while the new roof is going on.) I don´t know when the new roof is expected to go on. I am telling them it needs to be soon, as the leaks are serious (they know that anyway.) The lawyer said he won´t rush this, but he won´t start work without a US$2,000 retainer. I said I won´t pay that. I am sure the owner who sends me denuncias when my unit leaks doesn´t pay US$2,000 as a retainer ! I am distressed my property manager would be non-chalant about serious leaks. I am hoping I can find a certain property manager to replace him. I am no longer a fan of being an
absentee owner. I hope others in this kind group don´t have these problems.

You say the building is not a condo: would it be useful to explain the legal basis of ownership that underlies the issues that you are going through?

FWIW(1) I do wonder whether the advice you gave in what I think was your second-ever post to BAExpats in August 2006 when you said WTTEO it is seldom worth going to law in Argentina unless huge sums are involved might apply here? Might it not be more cost-effective to fly down and sort it all out in person?

FWIW(2) The reason I stumbled on that post is because I'm currently trawling through old property-related posts to try and get the bigger picture on issues around the building where I am now.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

You say the building is not a condo: would it be useful to explain the legal basis of ownership that underlies the issues that you are going through?

FWIW(1) I do wonder whether the advice you gave in what I think was your second-ever post to BAExpats in August 2006 when you said WTTEO it is seldom worth going to law in Argentina unless huge sums are involved might apply here? Might it not be more cost-effective to fly down and sort it all out in person?

FWIW(2) The reason I stumbled on that post is because I'm currently trawling through old property-related posts to try and get the bigger picture on issues around the building where I am now.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Thanks so much for your thoughts ! The building preceeds the time of condos, so each person owns their own unit only. The only possible common element is the roof. I am the only one who´s put money into the roof, and it´s been a lot over the years. In fact, if the roof leaks, other owners affected expect me to re-imburse them as I have been doing. Use of the roof is a gray area as it can only be accessed through my unit.
Also, the lawyer gave me the impression settling the issue of the roof could take time. Also, US$2,000 is merely the retainer. I don´t know how much more would be needed. After an earlier job, the lawyer/property manager team previously asked if I would give the lawyer a tip after the job was done, so they seem aggressive for money. The property manager seems reasonable re how much he charges. Unfortunately, this is not a good time for me to fly down, but some one is looking for contact data for a different property manager she knows is good. It´s early, so perhaps my property manager will agtee to get going with this job very soon. Thanks for your thoughts and good luck !

The lawyer tells me the party who left the junk on the roof could sue me for taking it away, which is why I might consider holding my nose and using a lawyer. (From what I hear, there are many large and heavy items. It appears the only feasible way to move them is to hire a crane and tale them
who knows where.)

Back