Root Canal Recommendation (Emergency)

You need anti-biotics as others have recommended. The pain is due to pressure build up in the pulp. That occurs due to infection. Once the infection goes the pain will subside.

How painful are root canals? I hate the dentist and I have a feeling when I get older I will end up having to get a few done....

How painful are root canals? I hate the dentist and I have a feeling when I get older I will end up having to get a few done....
They are not painful, not getting them when needed is very painful. The process itself takes time, anesthesia, nerve removal,root preparation and proper filling. Typically you will need a crown later as well.

They are not painful, not getting them when needed is very painful. The process itself takes time, anesthesia, nerve removal,root preparation and proper filling. Typically you will need a crown later as well.
I guess the first sign you need one is an extremely sore tooth that has become infected? Is it usually when a filling has failed or can it happen to teeth even without fillings?

I guess the first sign you need one is an extremely sore tooth that has become infected? Is it usually when a filling has failed or can it happen to teeth even without fillings?
Usually deep cavities that have old fillings will deteriorate over time and with little dental tissue left if the dr. Attempts to re fill it it will be too close to the nerve, this will cause pain, so a root canal is the only way to go. You will never go from an ok tooth with no cavities to a root canal. It is impirtant to asses the state of old fillings and take care of cavities. You might get a sore throat if the tooth is licated towards the back of your mouth. Typically you start with slight pain and discomfort around an older filling. It progresses fast if the tooth gets infected, sometimes it comes and goes over days or weeks. This is why we need dental checkups before we get pain. Also if you have light pain, it is definitely time to go as in general it only gets worse.

Go to the Farmacia asap. and buy Amoxicillin 875 mg.pills, twice a day for 7 days minimum. No Dentist will work on tooth until the infection is gone...When the infection disappears the pain will go

A plus for Argentina no prescription required for antibiotics , saving the Dr.s visit fee

I use Listerine twice a day. Once in the morning after brushing and at night before going to bed. Listerine has been around for over 100 years. it was recommended to me by my NYC dentist. I use the one with alcohol, “Cool Mint”. It helps to disinfect and kills germs.
You have to use it for 60 seconds each time for it to work. Read the label on the bottle.

Last edited:
I use Listerine twice a day. Once in the morning after brushing and at night before going to bed. Listerine has been around for over 100 years. it was recommended to me by my NYC dentist. I use the one with alcohol, “Cool Mint”. It helps to disinfect and kills germs.
You have to use it for 60 seconds each time for it to work. Read the label on the bottle.
I have a very 'up to date' dental hygienist who tells me very strongly to not use any mouth wash with alcohol.. In fact today most of them state that they are without alcohol - I think there were worries about cancer etc.

Actually dentists would recommend warm salt water once you have infection or after surgery. For daily use, Listerine is better. Listerine destroys plaque and salt is good for infection. The dentists in Buenos Aires are great, better and cheaper than US doctors. But if you are not careful, you can easily be charged gringo/yankee price.

Back