Round Trip Ticket?

traveling_rabbit

Registered
Hi all - I'm planning a long term trip from the US to Argentina in a few months. Looks like I need a round trip ticket (not just a one-way) to get in. Is this true? And if so, do I actually need it to be a return ticket to the US, or can I get a ticket just out of the country (like to Chile)?

Thanks so much for your help!

Technically, if you are coming as a tourist, you should prove you are not going to overstay in the country. I bought a one way ticket from Milan to Buenos Aires, and then the cheapest boat ticket from Buenos Aires to Colonia (Uruguay). Guess what? I was never asked neither if I was coming for tourism nor if I had an exit ticket.

I just bought a return ticket from Colonia - I will enjoy a day in Uruguay and that's all.

I've entered Argentina so often (a couple of times with a single flight) and was never checked for a return ticket. You could also just say you are leaving with a ferry to Uruguay, but I doubt they will check something. They only asked how long you will stay - just say the date you are planning to leave (instead of "uhmmm, I don't know") and you should be fine.

Hi all - I'm planning a long term trip from the US to Argentina in a few months. Looks like I need a round trip ticket (not just a one-way) to get in. Is this true? And if so, do I actually need it to be a return ticket to the US, or can I get a ticket just out of the country (like to Chile)?

Over the decades, I have entered Argentina scores of times (at Ezeiza and overland) without ever being asked for a return ticket.

Once, when flying out of Seattle to Santiago, American asked me for proof of a return ticket (I had flown from Santiago and was using the return portion). I asked to see a supervisor and showed her my numerous Chilean stamps, and had no further problem. I did have a return ticket from Santiago back to California, but had no proof of it on me.

I've never had a problem. The only time I've even had it mentioned was in 2010 when leaving DC on United. I just told them they were wrong and that there was no such requirement, they looked at my passport full of argentine entry stamps and agreed that I probably knew what I was talking about.

The other 20 or so times I've traveled nothing was even said.

United gave me a "no go" once until a showed proof of leaving Argentina within six months. So I booked a boat trip to Uruguay and showed the the receipt. I go back and forth all the time and it never happened again, altho now I have residency anyway. But it can and did happen to me before. And it was technically some kind of rule that the airline had at the time. I've been told that altho the rule is there it is rarely enforced, and it seems to be the case. But if you do a search of this forum and expat life I remember reading about this happening to someone else as well.
Enjoy Colonia!

Delta tried to give me that line in March of this year, when I checked in at Lindbergh Field in San Diego, "Oh, if you don't have a return ticket they might not let you into the country". I just smiled at the lady and told her I'd take my chances. I took it as just being Delta wanting to sell me something more.

In fact, nobody at immigration here at EZE even mentioned it. I was only asked two questions, why I was here and my flight number. The man was actually very polite, and even managed to smile and wish me a pleasant stay. Overall, my experience at EZE started my time here on a very positive note, and I walked out of Customs with a smile on my face.

Immigration officials never ask for proof of onward traveling. But the airlines use it as a profit center to force people to buy unnecessary tickets. So be prepared. I bought a refundable ticket in Ecuador to deal with this and five months later - no refund...

Assuming you have enough credit on your credit card (probably $2000), you can simply buy a fully-refundable return ticket. Then as soon as you arrive to Argentina, cancel it and get it refunded. The process could take weeks or months, but it works.

I have never been asked for a return ticket. And my passport is full or stamps entering and leaving Argentina. But if you are worried and as you mention Chile you could just purchase a bus ticket to Chile via Internet (for example from Andesmar). Round trip airline tickets are often cheaper than one way tickets, though.

Back