Rugby World Cup

Ernie

Registered
Hello everyone,I had the chance to watch the Pumas-France game yesterday. There were some historic Rugby moments there, with our Pumas beating the French at home, in their own World Cup, twice. This time 34-10. But please don't get me wrong, by this I do not mean to make fun of their team. The French actually dominated most of the first half. They just made a couple of serious (and silly) mistakes which cost them the match.
I just wish we had beaten the South Africans, although we all knew that that would take a miracle. Plus, our Pumas were so nervous at the beginning of the match, that they made mistakes you wouldn't see St. Andrew's Scots School's 1st XV making.
It's true that some of our players are amateurs, but still.I am very proud of what our Pumas have achieved. They did this with 1/4 of the budget the other National teams have, and having no regular yearly international competitions. Chapeau, Pumas! As for tomorrow's final, you all know I have my favourite. However, may the best team win. Let's play Rugby.
CheersErnie

Yeh it would have been a great game England verses Argentina. It was something everyone here was looking forward to. I think we have developed a sort of respectful rivalry (don't mention the war, I did once. I think I got away with it).
By the way I have never heard the term argie used as a derogatry term, and come from an area where many were lost in the war.

Oh! by the way congratulations on hammering the French.

"tangobob" said:
(don't mention the war, I did once. I think I got away with it).

Hello!John Cleese? Basil Fawlty? Fawlty Towers? The Germans? BRILLIANT!

The Final is being shown at LocosX Futbol, next to Recoleta cemetery.
To me the term Argie became derogatory when The Sun started using it in such a manner during the Falklands conflict.

"pedroC" said:
To me the term Argie became derogatory when The Sun started using it in such a manner during the Falklands conflict.
Hello PedroC,I have mentioned this same fact before, and some people understood where I was coming from. Other didn't. However, may I re-iterate that anyone using this term with the wrong crowd could find him/herself in very serious trouble. CheersErnie

Thanks Pedro.
I think The Sun has the ability to turn any word in the English language and use it as a form of insult. In those circumstances I'm sure it is insulting.
I have heard it used afectionetly but I can understand those who don't like it too Ernie.

Thanks Joey, that was exactly where I was comming from.
Sorry for going off topic.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 0
Gringoboy Entertainment 12
D Newcomers Forum 7
N Entertainment 0
S Culture 3
Back