Rugby World Cup

"tangobob" said:
Thanks Joey, that was exactly where I was comming from.
Sorry for going off topic.
Hello TangoBob,I particularly don't really mind the term, but I know of locals who REALLY do. In particular, members of the British-Argentine community. It was very confusing at the time, because many of us had our brothers/sons/friends sent to this ludicrous war (my late brother Walter being one of them), while receiving anonymous notes under our doors saying nice things like "get out of the country or we'll blow up your house, you f*****g English pirates". And we had nothing to do with the whole thing.

Oh dear I seem to have started a different thread. Truth is like any war, nobody wanted it except self serving politicians. Not the Argentines and certainly not the British. Before the war we thought the Falklands were off Scotland.
I do not have the figures myself, but have been told each islander could have been given £1m and rehoused and still saved us money.
Still it lead to the overthrow of Galtieri, but we were still left with Thatcher. and the nice thing is despite all the pain and losses there seems to be no grudges.

"TatanBsAs" said:
Gracias Sudafrica.
Hello TatanBsAs,I actually hoped the English would win. Having said that, the end result is that our Pumas only lost against the world Cup Champions. Not bad... Not bad at all. CheersErnie

And you won the third place play off.
I still would have prefered an England verses Argentina final, the Sun would have had a field day and one of us at least would have been happy.

"tangobob" said:
I still would have prefered an England verses Argentina final, the Sun would have had a field day and one of us at least would have been happy.
Hello TangoBob, I am not quite sure what you mean. Had the Pumas reached the finals, I would have of course supported then against the English. Nothing to do with the war or the shameful "hand of God". I played rugby until the age of 25, and know exactly where these kids come from. Neighbourhood/Univesity clubs with no sponsorship whatsoever. It's nice to watch them wash the face of the giantas every now and again...:)) As for the Sun, their opinion is entirely immaterial immaterial right now.
CheersErnie

As I said in my first posting on this thread, we were all looking forward to an England Argentina final. A sort of rivalry has developed between us, but I do not belive that there is any ill feeling. I have never felt any in Argentina and I see little at home. Sorry about The Sun it is just a joke.
Another comedy line for you, from Porrige; "Get me The Sun Godber, oh, and something to read as well"

"tangobob" said:
The only reason we did play for third place was because we played South Africa in the semi final and you only played them in the final.

"TatanBsAs" said:
The only reason we did play for third place was because we played South Africa in the semi final and you only played them in the final.

Hey Tatan! The English were the defending Champions! Cut the guys some slack! Yesterday was a football, rather than rugby match. And TangoBob, I agree with you a sort of rivalry has grown between England and Argentina (probably because of that appalling "hand of God" Maradona thing, that some Argentinians are proud of). However it's not a nasty one anymore, unless the English beat us, and you are the only one wearing an English jersey in the pub... :))CheersErnie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 0
Gringoboy Entertainment 12
D Newcomers Forum 7
N Entertainment 0
S Culture 3
Back