Rugby World Cup

Too bad the nerves got the better of Argentina during the Springbokke game because they really beated the French, Irish and Scots

Ernie, I think there is more history than just one incident, it all just adds colour. Some here still go on about the hand of God others about the war. Lets face it there are incidents in every sport, and as for wars, I think we have had wars with more countries than not, but we are jolly decent chaps and shake hands afterwards.
Tatan I agree with you, the difference between second and third is academic. Lets not fall out over that, we both lost to South Africa. I was just pleased you beat the French.

"Ernie" said:
The only reason we did play for third place was because we played South Africa in the semi final and you only played them in the final.

Hey Tatan! The English were the defending Champions! Cut the guys some slack! Yesterday was a football, rather than rugby match.
And TangoBob, I agree with you a sort of rivalry has grown between England and Argentina (probably because of that appalling "hand of God" Maradona thing, that some Argentinians are proud of). However it's not a nasty one anymore, unless the English beat us, and you are the only one wearing an English jersey in the pub... :))
Cheers
Ernie
"appaling" hand of god? you have to be kidding. Look into the 1966 world cup -soccer- and see how england won the championship, with a goal that wasn´t. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_Final.

"TatanBsAs" said:
The only reason we did play for third place was because we played South Africa in the semi final and you only played them in the final.

Hey Tatan! The English were the defending Champions! Cut the guys some slack! Yesterday was a football, rather than rugby match.
And TangoBob, I agree with you a sort of rivalry has grown between England and Argentina (probably because of that appalling "hand of God" Maradona thing, that some Argentinians are proud of). However it's not a nasty one anymore, unless the English beat us, and you are the only one wearing an English jersey in the pub... :))
Cheers
Ernie
"appaling" hand of god? you have to be kidding. Look into the 1966 world cup -soccer- and see how england won the championship, with a goal that wasn´t. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_FIFA_World_Cup_Final.
Look not at how others won their honours, but at how you have earned your own. If you stop to think here for a second, you are actually proving my point here.That World cup took place 41 years ago, and you still remember it was won by cheating. Do you sincerely want our 1986 world cup win to be remembered just for that unforgivable lack of sportsmanship?. Maradona should have immediately come clean with the referee after "scoring" that goal. Then, he would would have been remembered for being the truest sportsman in the history of the World Cup. Instead, he went down in history as good football player who was nothing but a little cheat. Not a lot to be proud of, I would say.CheersErnie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 0
Gringoboy Entertainment 12
D Newcomers Forum 7
N Entertainment 0
S Culture 3
Back