rumors of a 30% tax on expenses made abroad

I always enjoy reading your analyses Donald. What actions do you see the government taking to bring USD into Argentina, other than the promise of developing Vaca Muerta to attract outside investors?

Argentina needs the soy´s exports to be cashed in Argentina. The lack of foreign currency is because MM allowed to cash them abroad just like in any Colony.
24 billion use are expected to be cashed in the Central Bank from the farming:

Plus he updated the export tax and sent a project of law to the Congress to rise the retenciones.
MM also abolished taxes to minery being this absurd as soon a lithium and gold were paying cero export tax but FF did´t talk about to tax them.

Argentina needs the soy´s exports to be cashed in Argentina. The lack of foreign currency is because MM allowed to cash them abroad just like in any Colony.
24 billion use are expected to be cashed in the Central Bank from the farming:

Plus he updated the export tax and sent a project of law to the Congress to rise the retenciones.
MM also abolished taxes to minery being this absurd as soon a lithium and gold were paying cero export tax but FF did´t talk about to tax them.
Thank you, I wasn't aware that so much money was being held abroad.

What is your opinion on the increased retention % for the agriculture industry? Fernandez makes the argument that there isn't really an increase because the peso/USD exchange rate his risen dramatically (not sure I understand the logic) while I suspect the agriculture industry believes they are not the cause of the recent inflation, and so are being penalized.

Thanks for the kind words, JeffR. I love to hear myself talk (or write), so I will respectfully oblige.

Given the huge discrepancy between the bank rate and the blue, Argentina now has a controlled currency in all but name. For a while, the cueva business was dead; now it is booming again. Such confusion and friction creates all sorts of anomalies and opportunities, like the WU rate.

At some point, Argentina may consider selling its interest in YPF. This happened many years ago - and was reversed in one of Cristina's many illegal actions. Now would not be an ideal time, as hydrocarbon prices are low and there is a lot of social momentum against energy production. But assuming YPF has a strong enough balance sheet, it could float for several billion dollars on the public market.

The domestic measures - such as the CEPO, the 30% tax on foreign purchases, increase in property taxes - these are notable, but not significant. The real money is in the debt restructuring. Over $50B is involved in debt negotiations (not counting $50B more with the IMF), which will start in 2020. Argentina has the upper hand in these negotiations for a lot of reasons, one of which is that the nuclear option is no longer available. While Cristina is a common thief, her willingness to use the nuclear option (i.e. default) provides a bargaining advantage. My guess is that Alberto does not want all the negative consequences of a default,, so he will play nicer than Cristina did a few years back. Argentina also has lots of advantages vis a vis the bond indentures. The previous bonds did not have collective action clauses, which meant that even an investor owning one $1000 bond could hold out. Argentina did not make the same mistake twice - the current bonds have low CAC thresholds, along the lines of 67% or 75%. This means that once Argentina can get some majority number of bondholders on board, the holdouts will legally be forced into the same deal.

Many hedge funds bought Argentine debt on the way down and are owners at 40 and 45 cents on the dollar. When Argentina finally offers 50 cents on the dollar plus interest, many hedge funds will say, "good enough." And papers will be signed. A return of 20% or 25% in two years is an excellent result for distressed bond investors, and with the CACs in place, each individual is only as strong as their coalition.

Don't get me wrong: debt negotiations will be a knock down, drag out. Cuz Argentina is going to start with 35. But due to the above factors and a few others, a consensual deal should be reachable without much delay.

My understanding of the Vaca Muerta, from reading trade journals, is that much production is on hold. When Macri froze upstream prices, many drillers finished the well they were working on and sent the crews home. Argentina's constant wage inflation, low prices for all hydrocarbons, the significant cost of fracking and the price freeze, make for a sensitive profit/loss equation. Huge explorers like Shell and Chevron, both of which are in Argentina, can afford to drill when times are tough. Smaller drillers that are undiversified and with smaller balance sheets, they have to save their resources for better weather. So they'll wait it out.
Excellent analysis, thank you.

Excellent analysis, thank you.
The large gap between official and black market rate for pesos, combined with the 30% tax, will open the contraband import arb back up. Just like in the Cristina days. Those scumbags that smuggle in cell phones from the US and Europe will be back in business

Aerolineas Argentinas International air tickets payable in pesos will not be subject to the 30 % tax? As well as overland bus fares to border countries payable in pesos. No dollar purchase involved ?

Aerolineas Argentinas International air tickets payable in pesos will not be subject to the 30 % tax?

You can fly to Miami by Aerolineas and by American Airlines. If American Airlines ticket price is effectively 30% up (the same for any other foreign company), what's going to happen to Aerolineas ticket prices?

Basically, this is a general tax increase that is targeted to people who can afford to travel.

You can fly to Miami by Aerolineas and by American Airlines. If American Airlines ticket price is effectively 30% up (the same for any other foreign company), what's going to happen to Aerolineas ticket prices?

Basically, this is a general tax increase that is targeted to people who can afford to travel.

The Article mentioned Aerolineas will clearly benefit with this measure..! with a lower price..!

“In the vote, the new 30% tax on international transport (air, land and water) paid in pesos and having no exchange rate impact was exempted. Great news for Aerolineas Argentinas and its customers that will have a huge tax advantage. ”

“En la votación se exceptuó del nuevo impuesto de 30% al transporte internacional (aéreo, terrestre y por vía acuática) abonado en pesos y que no tenga impacto cambiario. Gran noticia para Aerolíneas Argentinas y sus clientes que tendrán una ventaja impositiva enorme”.

Last edited:
Back