Rye Bread

Lea

Registered
if I'm daft ignore me - but anyone found rye bread here? I have looked and asked for "pan de centeno" at various bakeries and Lepi in Recoleta which has awesome breads and the answer was nunca nunca nunca! :(

if I'm daft ignore me - but anyone found rye bread here? I have looked and asked for "pan de centeno" at various bakeries and Lepi in Recoleta which has awesome breads and the answer was nunca nunca nunca!
I buy organic rye bread (the hardcore, German-style, heavy-as-a-brick rye) at Hausbrot. There are locations all over the city.

problem with hausbrot is (in my opinion), it is so dense you can hit someone over the head with it and kill them!

Lea said:
if I'm daft ignore me - but anyone found rye bread here? I have looked and asked for "pan de centeno" at various bakeries and Lepi in Recoleta which has awesome breads and the answer was nunca nunca nunca! :(

Well I just finished the last of the pumpernickel I bought on Saturday so if sweet rye bread is your thing La Tablita is the place to go..see my previous post on La Tablita for details. Pumpernickel, reblochon and dill pickes for lunch in sunny BsAs- what`s there not to like!

Malvon Confiteria on Serrano 789 about 3 blocks north of Corrientes has fresh baked rye everyday. and their pumpernickel rocks. it's definitely worth checking out.

Renania Panaderia
Güemes 2622

if you are willing to travel a bit . Spectacular breads,established since 1953.

If you go to panaderias that do not have the bakery on site the staff probably only know "their" name for their bread, not the ingredients. Bread names vary between chains a la hausbrot and according to the traditional ethnic mix of the barrio, eg in Villa Ballester people probably won't bat an eyelid, if you ask for roggenbrot in German, Recoleta not so much. Some have spanish names like hogaza de Rogge and all variations in between .

Back