Safe to wear watches?

We find that wearing understated white gold or platinum accessories draws far less attention than gaudy yellow gold. I wear a vintage 18kt white-cold Patek Calatrava every day without problem. BA isn’t Chicago or Detroit.
Even in Detroit or Chicago you really have to be in the "wrong" areas. You can 100 percent wear jewelry in many areas in both those cities. It seems like so many people live off of fear. It's one thing if jewelry just isn't appealing to you and isn't your cup of tea. It's another thing of you really like jewelry but are just afraid to wear it. Why would someone live somewhere and have to sacrifice something that they really like? Btw, that's not directed at you Greg. Just a general statement.

Just to give you a comparison my wife was wearing a 40 dollar "silver" Casio on Ipanema and a ~9 year old tried to steal if off her wrist. It all depends on flash.

Why invite the trouble if you don't have to (no matter where you are in the world)?

Theives are kinda like fish. Doesn't have to be the real thing.

Just to give you a comparison my wife was wearing a 40 dollar "silver" Casio on Ipanema and a ~9 year old tried to steal if off her wrist. It all depends on flash.

Why invite the trouble if you don't have to (no matter where you are in the world)?

Theives are kinda like fish. Doesn't have to be the real thing.
I simply don't see the risk being as great as you see it. When I'm in a place like Miami or London or Paris I will 100 percent of the time be wearing at least a Rolex level watch. If I like it, why not? Sure anything can happen anywhere. But it is simply so common to see. I do not put on a watch and then start thinking about my security. There are soooooooo many people wearing expensive jewelry in lots of cities. I also wore jewelry in Chicago when I visited. I obviously didn't tell the taxi driver to take me to the worst neighborhood.

I wore jewelry in Mexico as well. Obviously wasn't in Tijuana. The fear that some people have is just amazing to me. If things were as bad as you think, jewelry stores wouldn't exist. If you're afraid to wear jewelry in a place like London then you're just afraid of life itself.

I think it depends on a few things:

• Risk tolerance/how much are you willing to part with: assuming you're not willing to die for your watch, are you willing to part with $20/$250/$2,500+?
  • Where do you live/where are you traveling/at what time? In Patagonia or up north you're probably more likely to have your watch stolen by a bird than a person, but in CABA it depends entirely on the neighborhood. Last week a 17yo in La Matanza shot a woman in the leg, originally trying to shoot her in the head (at least that's what the video looked like to me) over a purse you'd find on clearance at a thrift store; location is everything
  • Do you look like a target? If you look out of place, like a tourist, or rich you're more likely to be targeted. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity after all. I dress the same here like I did in North America, $20 shirt, $40 shorts, $30 shoes; I'm not a stylish guy to begin with, and even if I had the money for expensive clothes I have no interest in them because it draws attention. I understand that's why some people where jewelry to begin with, but if you're worried about being robbed it's probably better to dress down than dress up
  • Finally, how tall/muscular/etc are you? With shoes one I'm pushing 6'6", and I haven't weighed less than 200 lbs since I was a teenager; I have survivorship bias I think in part to this; if you're a little old lady you're an easy target compared to a jacked teenager or someone that has the proportions of a fridge
On a side note, I live downtown and see a ton of people, on the street, employees at stores, etc. wearing both real and knock off Apple Watches, so it's really hard to say. I was thinking about getting a smart watch for exercising, but the potential theft is something that I keep mulling over.

I think it depends on a few things:

• Risk tolerance/how much are you willing to part with: assuming you're not willing to die for your watch, are you willing to part with $20/$250/$2,500+?
  • Where do you live/where are you traveling/at what time? In Patagonia or up north you're probably more likely to have your watch stolen by a bird than a person, but in CABA it depends entirely on the neighborhood. Last week a 17yo in La Matanza shot a woman in the leg, originally trying to shoot her in the head (at least that's what the video looked like to me) over a purse you'd find on clearance at a thrift store; location is everything
  • Do you look like a target? If you look out of place, like a tourist, or rich you're more likely to be targeted. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity after all. I dress the same here like I did in North America, $20 shirt, $40 shorts, $30 shoes; I'm not a stylish guy to begin with, and even if I had the money for expensive clothes I have no interest in them because it draws attention. I understand that's why some people where jewelry to begin with, but if you're worried about being robbed it's probably better to dress down than dress up
  • Finally, how tall/muscular/etc are you? With shoes one I'm pushing 6'6", and I haven't weighed less than 200 lbs since I was a teenager; I have survivorship bias I think in part to this; if you're a little old lady you're an easy target compared to a jacked teenager or someone that has the proportions of a fridge
On a side note, I live downtown and see a ton of people, on the street, employees at stores, etc. wearing both real and knock off Apple Watches, so it's really hard to say. I was thinking about getting a smart watch for exercising, but the potential theft is something that I keep mulling over.
With your last points I agree in general, although I do often wear more expensive clothing. I think this list applies to bad areas no matter what country you're in. And even sporadically in good areas. As far as the first point, depending on where I am, that thought never crosses my mind. If I'm in Miami I am not thinking about how much I am willing to part with when putting on jewelry.

But I'll focus on BA since it was the original topic. You say that you want an apple watch but have worries about a potential robbery. Why would you live here if that is how you feel about something as simple as an apple watch? I would never live anywhere if I had to fear my safety for wearing a watch.

But I'll focus on BA since it was the original topic. You say that you want an apple watch but have worries about a potential robbery. Why would you live here if that is how you feel about something as simple as an apple watch? I would never live anywhere if I had to fear my safety for wearing a watch.
I want to be clear, I don't fear for my safety in Buenos Aires any more so than I did in the North East or up in Canada, cities are cities, and part of the convenience of city living comes with the increase in crime versus rural areas.

I can only speak for myself, it's not something as simple as a smartwatch; while I'm fortunate to have a mostly comfortable life, and I work in tech so I can index my peso billings to clients in dollars, I'm nowhere near as wealthy as most other members of this forum, so having a $350 item stolen would be a pretty big deal to me, albeit less so than most Argentines.

As well, all of my friends here have been robbed at some point, so I'm just waiting for the day it happens to me, however, I still use my cellphone in public, listen to music via wireless earbuds, etc, but there are things you can do to hedge against theft/becoming a target. You can get wireless earbuds for $10 now, so it's no longer a symbol of wealth, and most people in Buenos Aires have a smartphone, so again, it's a less glaring example now compared to 10 years ago, but smartwatches still remain both physically noticeable, expensive, and connected to a cellphone, so it's a 2 for 1 for any thief.

I've been robbed twice, once in Canada at gunpoint, and secondly by gang of pickpockets went for my decoy wallet in Europe. I don't think Buenos Aires is a den of thieves with people waiting around every corner to pounce, but I do think in terms of being robbed, you're more likely to be a victim here than say Brooklyn or Toronto or Sydney.

Even in Detroit or Chicago you really have to be in the "wrong" areas. You can 100 percent wear jewelry in many areas in both those cities. It seems like so many people live off of fear. It's one thing if jewelry just isn't appealing to you and isn't your cup of tea. It's another thing of you really like jewelry but are just afraid to wear it. Why would someone live somewhere and have to sacrifice something that they really like? Btw, that's not directed at you Greg. Just a general statement.
How about NYC? USA is third world now. We're very glad to be rid of it. Basically, it's a slave state getting its comeuppance.
USA is a third world country for the most part. NYC? Luxury hotel? Good luck. https://nypost.com/2022/03/18/33-year-old-wearing-100000-watch-shot-outside-4-star-nyc-hotel/

I want to be clear, I don't fear for my safety in Buenos Aires any more so than I did in the North East or up in Canada, cities are cities, and part of the convenience of city living comes with the increase in crime versus rural areas.

I can only speak for myself, it's not something as simple as a smartwatch; while I'm fortunate to have a mostly comfortable life, and I work in tech so I can index my peso billings to clients in dollars, I'm nowhere near as wealthy as most other members of this forum, so having a $350 item stolen would be a pretty big deal to me, albeit less so than most Argentines.

As well, all of my friends here have been robbed at some point, so I'm just waiting for the day it happens to me, however, I still use my cellphone in public, listen to music via wireless earbuds, etc, but there are things you can do to hedge against theft/becoming a target. You can get wireless earbuds for $10 now, so it's no longer a symbol of wealth, and most people in Buenos Aires have a smartphone, so again, it's a less glaring example now compared to 10 years ago, but smartwatches still remain both physically noticeable, expensive, and connected to a cellphone, so it's a 2 for 1 for any thief.

I've been robbed twice, once in Canada at gunpoint, and secondly by gang of pickpockets went for my decoy wallet in Europe. I don't think Buenos Aires is a den of thieves with people waiting around every corner to pounce, but I do think in terms of being robbed, you're more likely to be a victim here than say Brooklyn or Toronto or Sydney.
It sounds like you have had some bad experiences even in "developed" countries. I honestly have to chalk it up to bad luck. We can compare that to any other type of unfortunate event. But it now seems that those events have partial control of your decision making. And I think in this situation it is taking value away from your life because you're giving up something that you actually want. I could understand if you were directly in a bad area but that's not the case.

Even in different situations, maybe getting stung by a bee.. and you now going to wear sleeves the rest of your life out of fear for being stung again? Probably a terrible comparison lol

How about NYC? USA is third world now. We're very glad to be rid of it. Basically, it's a slave state getting its comeuppance.

USA is a third world country for the most part. NYC? Luxury hotel? Good luck. https://nypost.com/2022/03/18/33-year-old-wearing-100000-watch-shot-outside-4-star-nyc-hotel/
What's your point? This can happen anywhere. Should I be afraid of cars because of how many people are killed in accidents each year? So a person in NYC was shot while wearing an expensive watch. Not actually known if he was targeted beforehand. There were probably like a million people in the same country wearing expensive watches the same night.

It sounds like you have had some bad experiences even in "developed" countries. I honestly have to chalk it up to bad luck. We can compare that to any other type of unfortunate event. But it now seems that those events have partial control of your decision making. And I think in this situation it is taking value away from your life because you're giving up something that you actually want. I could understand if you were directly in a bad area but that's not the case.

Even in different situations, maybe getting stung by a bee.. and you now going to wear sleeves the rest of your life out of fear for being stung again? Probably a terrible comparison lol
I don't disagree per se; I'm confident my personal past experiences and those of friends/family here have influenced my risk tolerance I have for Buenos Aires; I just think for me now, at least financially, it's a bet I'm not confident about taking, though mitigating factors such as going out to exercise during daylight hours, having insurance for the watch, etc could change my thinking on this.

Back