Safe Towns in Argentina with Inexpensive Private Schools

Possum, have you been to San Luis? What's it like there? Do you recommend the city or province?

Possum, have you been to San Luis? What's it like there? Do you recommend the city or province?

Never been there, can't recommend it at all. I was just suggesting maybe you could check it out. There are a few things that make SL unique.

Here in BsAs, you can meet people from the other 22 provinces who have come here for work. I have lived here for over 6 years and never met one single person from San Luis. That tells me they have a sufficiency of jobs.

About three years ago, at the beginning of the school year, the public school teachers were threatening strike. Macri's first year in office had given us 36% inflation, (little did we know then that the next three years would run to ~50%), and the teachers were being offered 10-15% raises. But in San Luis, the governor stepped up and gave the public school teachers a 40% raise. In San Luis, the school year began normally, right on time. In the other 22 provinces and CABA, the start of school was delayed, in some cases by weeks.

They have apparently got a sizable software development and IT area going on out there, what some have described as a little silicone valley. If you look at this https://www.bumeran.com.ar/en-san-luis/empleos.html you will see there are tech jobs on offer, some posted today and yesterday, both in San Luis city and Villa Mercedes. Given the current economic climate here in AR, I find that impressive.

I plan to go and check it out as soon as practically possible. I know I want out of BsAs when I retire, and San Luis looks like a prospect.

***EDIT***
More tech jobs here, also some non-tech jobs - https://www.computrabajo.com.ar/empleos-en-san-luis

Last edited:

What about the contacts? don't overlook the lifetime contacts forged in Lincoln HS with the elite of the 100 families.. It beats Colegio Nacional, and Perhaps the ORT school

What about the contacts? don't overlook the lifetime contacts forged in Lincoln HS with the elite of the 100 families.. It beats Colegio Nacional, and Perhaps the ORT school

Contacts outside of Argentina for the most part. If you are living in Argentina and want useful lifetime contacts you should send your children to elite Argentine bilingual schools like Cardinal Newman and Sent Andrews, not Lincoln which is an American international school.

Contacts outside of Argentina for the most part. If you are living in Argentina and want useful lifetime contacts you should send your children to elite Argentine bilingual schools like Cardinal Newman and Sent Andrews, not Lincoln which is an American international school.

I take your word you are our local Expert ...! You didn't comment on the Ort School..? Of course Newman is where Macri went..

The Lincoln School is for the children of diplomats, or multinational companies' executives - highly paid people passing through, without roots in this country.

My two step-sisters in law went there, courtesy of their father's employer. Their classmates changed every two years or so - not conducive to forming lifelong friends. It was a lonely, isolated way of life.

Less expensive, AND it includes hot lunch. A steal....!

MARET school - Washington, DC
Upper School (Grades 9 - 12) $41,100 includes hot lunch

Almost as much as Harvard's tuition: $47,730

I lived in Washington more than 20 years and never heard Maret mentioned in the
same breath, scholastically, as Sidwell Friends (the top), National Cathedral School
for Girls, or St. Alban's for boys. Could have changed since 2005 but not much.

I lived in Washington for forty-two years - Sidwell Friends, National Cathedral, and St. Albans were for the children of the well connected, wealthy elites. Maret and Georgetown Day school were not PRESTIGE schools, but also good scholastically.

A friend's daughter was accepted at Sidwell Friends and Maret, and wait-listed at Georgetown Day. She chose Maret, and upon graduation was admitted at a very competitive Ivy League college. She found freshman year a breeze - the university proved far less rigorous than Maret.

Last edited:
Back