Safety tip to keep in mind!

Awful. If I might add another one: watch out when you walk your dog!

My norwegian friend got fucked over a few weeks ago. Apparently it ain't new around Recoleta/Palermo.

This is how it works:

You walk your dog and go happy with the surroundings, and relaxing so your buddy can make his stuff.

You are not aware someone is following you and either when you pick your dogs shit (a very foreigner thing to do ;)) or when you sit down in a plaza or walk through a less transited street, you get a gun in your back, you are taken to your place and robbed.

They, apparently. take advantage of you being relaxed and distracted with your pet.

Lee said:
Once you have your key in the door the pizza is throw to the ground and you are forced inside. You are made to go to your apartment where you are tied up and the thief (who has by this point already called others to join him) ransack your apartment, pack up everything of value. One the friends arrive they get your atm cards and using threats of violence get your atm codes. You are left tied up to be found (hopefully alive) but much poorer!

This seemingly Innocent everyday occurring site could be trouble. Please be very aware of your surroundings when entering and exiting your unguarded apartments especially in locations with poor viability.

I live in Congreso on a main street and during the day it's very busy with tons of people around as well as plenty of police. Luckily our building hasn't had any robberies lately, however in some neighboring buildings, some elderly people have been followed in. One lady had her hands full of bags and some young man offered to hold the door for her and BOOM he followed her in and robbed her with a gun to her face. As you approach the door to your house/building/apartment, look around you before you open the door, DO NOT be involved speaking on the cell phone, don't hold doors open for ANYBODY YOU DON'T KNOW, and be aware of your surroundings at all times. I also recommend that people DO NOT LISTEN TO music with earphones while walking in the street. There are criminals who will take advantage of the fact you can not hear them following you and are distracted. If something is NOT RIGHT trust your gut feelings and DONT GO INSIDE, wait until it's all clear. This does not only apply to Buenos Aires but everywhere. When I lived in New York City (in a very nice neighborhood on the upper west side) there were push in robberies, yes even in some doorman buildings. In New York City delivery people go right up to the apartment door, at least here they have to wait downstairs. It's very unpleasant to have to be always thinking of these things however the world has become unfortunately an unsafe place.

Thanks for this tip --- I had never heard of this particular trick. I often have delivery guys waiting as I enter my building. I am careful to never allow them to follow me in but I never suspected that the delivery could be fake --- wow.
As for the dog walking I can't believe this is widespread --- I and everyone I know do not carry money or anything of value when walking the dog --- only the leash, the dog, plastic bags and keys.

surfing said:
As for the dog walking I can't believe this is widespread --- I and everyone I know do not carry money or anything of value when walking the dog --- only the leash, the dog, plastic bags and keys.

The problem is not being robbed outside in the streets but get kidnapped and driven inside your apartment where they will hold you up and empty it.

This goes for people dressed as workers for the gas, electric, and cable tv companies as well. The key is to not trust anyone, ever.

Quite right ----- I misread and thought it said "taken to a place" not "your place" which makes sense.

waldo_jeffers said:
The problem is not being robbed outside in the streets but get kidnapped and driven inside your apartment where they will hold you up and empty it.

My instinct if confronted in the street would be to feign complete ignorance of Spanish (and English if necessary).

Back