safety

in the travel books i've read on buenos aires, they have all stated that ba is safe to walk around at night as a single woman (well, there is a warning about boca). anyone heard or experienced differently?

Kat, Just come, have some vino, empanadas, dance a little and enjoy yourself. Safety is something that you would check in any country or city, so do not worry too much about it. A good dose of common sense is all you need in this city to be safe. You would never let your guard down in a big city, so do the same here.
Yes, do not go to La Boca at night.

I have traveled several times to buenos aires by myself & I have never had any problems walking around alone. Just take the same precautions you would in any big city - don't wear expensive jewelry, don't flash a lot of money, don't walk down dark streets by yourself... If you use common sense you'll be fine. And FWIW, I don't look Argentine at all & people know I'm foreign & again, I have never had any problems.
Argentine men do tend to talk to you but it's never threatening - enjoy the admiration:)

"citygirl" said:
I have traveled several times to buenos aires by myself & I have never had any problems walking around alone. Just take the same precautions you would in any big city - don't wear expensive jewelry, don't flash a lot of money, don't walk down dark streets by yourself... If you use common sense you'll be fine. And FWIW, I don't look Argentine at all & people know I'm foreign & again, I have never had any problems.
Argentine men do tend to talk to you but it's never threatening - enjoy the admiration:)
lol its more like the argentine men will enjoy the fact that you enjoy them talking to you. There used to getting the cold shoulder from argentine women.

thanks for the info. i just found out that i could get a prepaid cell phone, which also gives me some sense of security... although calling for the police while speaking in english might be futile... but ah well, i have my "security blanket."
i do wish the "admiration" would stop... i feel like i'm constantly walking by a construction site in the us. i will chalk it up to a cultural experience.

kat,There is a special tourist police. They speak english.
0800-999-5000, 4346-5748Also english speaking general customer service for tourists will listen to you, may be give you some advice and expedite your call properly
0800-999-BUETUR(283887), cell *8283

Mike - lol - the talking I don't mind. It's when there is touching (Italy anyone?!) that I mind... On the whole, I find the men in Argentina fairly innocuous. And the piropos usually make me laugh.. ;)
Kat - a cellphone is a great idea & I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

The guys in the clubs may try and touch, but on the street they'd never dare (they aren't THAT italian ;)
Here's a new one -- I had a guy BARK at me the other night -- yuck! That was a first...

nikad

Registered
"syngirl" said:
The guys in the clubs may try and touch, but on the street they'd never dare (they aren't THAT italian ;)
Here's a new one -- I had a guy BARK at me the other night -- yuck! That was a first...
WTFFFF I have never heard of anything like that before, lol