Salary Expectations

Georgia, if I were you, I would negotiate in terms of net monthly salary, not gross. This leaves much less room for misunderstandings. And don't sell yourself short!! It's not a very highly paid industry as you know -- and there are a lot of qualified translators here -- but someone with native English has a huge leg up for a translation company. Especially at an Argentine salary, you'd be a bargain.

I would ask for 20,000 in-hand and then let yourself negotiate down to 18,000. Be clear that you'll be expecting inflation adjustments every six months.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's much appreciated! :)

Hello,

I've been in the translation game for 20-odd years, and living here for 10, but I stayed working with clients in Europe and I've never done any work for Argentine translation companies. I've received enquiries, but the rates they pay are well below half the going rate in Europe. It's not a good industry to come into in Argentina because, unlike Spain, the country is full of native-level English speakers because of the relatively large Brit/US/Australian etc. communities. In fact I know a translation company in Ireland that sources a lot of English/Spanish work with people here because it's so cheap. I'd say 18,000 pesos is not too bad in the circumstances.

hi,
did you have any luck with this? i'm just looking at applying for proofreading posts, and have no idea what to offer.

Back