Salary questions!

XferBA

Registered
Hi,

Looking for some insight into how much is a normal salary. I know it is quite different from that of the US or Europe, but not sure exactly and a company has just asked me what I would be looking to get compensated.

The company is based in the UK and the payment would be coming from there. (I'm sure it would not be UK-based salary, however). I have a degree, experience in a similar field and am 27 years old. Right now, the options are either to work 39 hours a week or 20-25; it's still up in the air depending on a couple of things but they are open to whatever. I'd like to give me an idea for both.

Would be awesome if I could get some first-hand advice :)

Thanks

XferBA said:
Hi,

Looking for some insight into how much is a normal salary. I know it is quite different from that of the US or Europe, but not sure exactly and a company has just asked me what I would be looking to get compensated.

The company is based in the UK and the payment would be coming from there. (I'm sure it would not be UK-based salary, however). I have a degree, experience in a similar field and am 27 years old. Right now, the options are either to work 39 hours a week or 20-25; it's still up in the air depending on a couple of things but they are open to whatever. I'd like to give me an idea for both.

Would be awesome if I could get some first-hand advice :)

Thanks

perhaps if you indicated what field, what level of experience you have and even what someone would be getting in the UK for similar employment, we may be able to help you with our best guesses.

but the info you supplied so far is too vague for even a guess...

I´ll have a stab, rather than make you spell out your whole life story ..... :)

I think if you could negotiate somewhere in between 1500-2000 pounds per month in your pocket, plus relocation expenses you should be fairly well off here. If you have relevant experience, that doesn´t sound too steep in UK terms.

In local terms, that would be around $10,000 to $14,000. You would be well paid, but not exceptionally well, and you could live comfortably. I am assuming you are going to be in Buenos Aires.

If its for a protracted period, I would also try and negotiate a trip home per year, plus medical cover.

You will need to think about the interaction between UK and Argentine taxes. The latter are much higher on income at this level.

Thanks for the replies.

To give you an idea, it isn't a "career move"...I would be working for an agency that helps recruit executives for varies companies. When I say I have experience, I helped students from abroad go to the US for work/study - I was a contact for companies in the US who hired the students and conducted interviews, etc. This type of recruitment is a higher level than what I did before, however, I'd be in contact with the hiring companies just as I was before.

I'm not sure what the salary would be in the UK because I've never been there - this company is based in the UK and I'm from the States. I wouldn't know what the payment would be in the States either, but I'd figure anywhere from 12-$15/hour or a minimum of $2200 a month or so (full-time)? That's just a guess.

This isn't the sort of job where they are relocating me...I have been traveling for a while and have decided to settle down here and am just on a job hunt, figuring stuff out :)
?

Also, trying to figure out how the payment would work. I would get paid from the UK to my online bank account (Charles Schwab) based in the US. How would taxes work, exactly? I'm guessing getting paid in Pounds is preferable to getting paid in Pesos, however, they said they would help with a work visa - does this entail getting paid in Pesos?

Sorry for all the questions, confused!

Recruitment type jobs usually have a base plus commission based on your success at recruiting good candidates.

The base for these types of jobs in BA is usually an entry level professional salary of 5000-6000 pesos a month, which in my opinion, unless you are renting a place at local prices (usually with a garantia) is not enough to live on and the commissions are not guaranteed income so I wouldnt even take it into account as real income when factoring in your expenses to income ratio.

Recruitment companies in BA like to hire ex pats because of obviously the strong English skills, harder work ethic, etc, and generally dont mind paying them a ¨decent enough¨ salary and/or helping them get their papers in order.

If you want to find comparative information on salaries, check out the following www.glassdoor.com
There are some valuable information for you.
Additionally, I suggest that instead of checking any salaries, make first some expense estimation for you for Buenos Aires. There is a lot of info in other threads. Then you would have an idea, how much your salary should be.
In case your company will be paying you in USD or GBP, take that option!!! You are far better off with that currency in Argentina. The pesos is going to face very difficult times, inflation, devaluation.

Back