Salsa and Pickles

mphillips_81

Registered
Not sure how many people are interested, but I know I squealed when I found this stuff, the Disco on the Libertador side of Parque Las Heras has a few different kinds of imported Mexican Salsa thats actually really really good. And they also just received an import of giant pickles from Germany. They aren't quite dill pickles but they are the closest thing I've found as of yet and aren't half bad.

oh they tend to have all the good stuff around that area. the CarreFour in Recoleta looks real nice and have a good selection of imported things. I should have moved around that area :)

Thank you for the info! I will definitely check it out.

are the pickles "sweet"? or agridulce?
i haven't been able to find good dill or garlic crunchy pickles here. what I would call 'Deli style".
i have tried to make them myself, but they never taste the same.

How much is the salsa? It's usually insanely overpriced, but I usually pay it. :)

The brand is Gurkentopf. They're agridulces en vinagre de aguardientes. They're definitely not sweet, but have a sweetish taste, but they're not dill either. Dill pickles and garlic pickles are no where to be found here, but these are the best substitute i've found so far.
mail

mphillips_81 said:
The brand is Gurkentopf. They're agridulces en vinagre de aguardientes. They're definitely not sweet, but have a sweetish taste, but they're not dill either. Dill pickles and garlic pickles are no where to be found here, but these are the best substitute i've found so far.
mail
I agree that they are the best to be had. I bought 25 jars last year when we found them at Disco!

I live close to the Disco so I will check out the salsas for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

I can't remember how much the salsa was off the top of my head, but probably somewhere in the vicinity of 20 pesos or so....it was totally worth it.

Pickles, there is a brand (inexpensive and pretty good) called Los Montes Pepinos Dulces, in a glass jar with a white label. These are pickled with medium sized (similar to Bicks) vinegar, salt, sugar, dill, bay leaf,mustard seed, coriander, and black pepper corns. I can't remember where I got them, but I think that they are either from Coto or Carrefour.

Jumbo will usually have a larger variety of foreign food but fairly pricy and may have been on the shelf for a long time.

Your best best bet is the Chinese grocery stores in barrio chino if you want to find Mexican type foods. Along with their usual asian fare, you have some american and ethnic food varieties that surpass the chain stores. Prices vary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LCP Food and Drink 17
K Newcomers Forum 4
S Expat Life 5
F Expat Life 2
L Expat Life 0
Back